Thread: Aprilia Scarabeo 100 VS Piaggio Liberty 125

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia Scarabeo 100 VS Piaggio Liberty 125

I want to buy a scooter and I am between these two! Can you help me choose?? Thank you in advance!

apriliaforum Junkie groovymaster's Avatar
    I like my Scarabeo-100. Most fun city-bike I've ever had. Very light-weight and never had a problem with the engine. But then, I'm running naked, with a Keihin PE20 carburetor, and SuperTrap exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum newb
    Without changing carburetor or exhaust would you say it's more like a 50cc scooter? I want to be able to ride 2-up and get up a hill quite well! I like it very much but I'm afraid of the 6,3 bhp that it gives!

apriliaforum Junkie groovymaster's Avatar
    It's the 50cc Vespa/Piaggio engine (ET4, etc.) with a larger bore & stroke but the carburetor is too miserly, the airbox too restrictive, and the exhaust too stuff-up to make use of the 96cc displacement.

For two-up riding (stock engine) the Liberty 125 is much better.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you groovymaster.. Your explanation was very enlightening, really!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Take test drive on both scooters, and then decide.
    Both of them ar OK, but have air coole engines, HP are simillar, simillar top speed, but:
    - Liberty is heavier (so more horse power has no meaning),
    - Liberty has smaller gas tank
    - Liberty has smaller back wheel
    - Scarabeo 100 4t engine has less part for tunning than Liberty 125 ccm

100 ccm and 50 ccm (4T) are quite different for drive, expetialy uphill. But, both scoots has to be tuned up for 2 persons uphill, at least Polini/Malossi variomat group. After that, it is up to you (see Groovymaster).
    I have Beo 100 4t - super scoot.

apriliaforum prov-nov jpkennedy71's Avatar
    I have no experience on the Piaggio Liberty 125, so I can't comment on that. However, I do have a stock Scarabeo 100 and a Vespa ET2 with a 70cc Malossi kiit and Leo Vince pipe. The Scarabeo isn't a quick scooter off the line, but it does seem to hold its speed well once it gets there. Two-up, it's slow. Two-up, up a hill...it's very slow. It has more poke than a 50, but a kitted ET2 will leave it for dead in every way, except fuel consumption. The Scarabeo feels stable, and can be leaned hard through curves without decking hard parts too early.

Hopefully you can get tuning parts for it in Europe (as mentioned above). I have found nothing for it in the States.

-Jared
    Deals Gap: 318 curves in 11 miles.
    Florida: 11 curves in 318 miles.

apriliaforum newb

Looking at the Scarabeo 100

I am new to scooters. I've been riding a BMW F800ST motorcycle; it is more bike than I need.

The Scarabeo 100 is a fine fit for my size, age, etc. but seems underpowered. I test road the Piaggio Fly 150 and liked the motor but not the feel.

Is there a way to get that kind of performance out of the Scarabeo 100 engine?
    Thanks,
    MaxH

apriliaforum newb scooteraddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxH View Post
    Is there a way to get that kind of performance out of the Scarabeo 100 engine?
    Thanks,
    MaxH
    Not likely, or at least without throwing a lot of money and time into it. Not to disrespect Aprilia, but have you tried a KYMCO People 150? You may enjoy the feel of that scoot if you like the look of the Scarabeo 100 and are wanting more power, so give it a look.
    High gas prices back in '08 got me onto the scooter bandwagon. Now, a few years later, I've become addicted and have "scooter on the brain" often.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I owned the 50 cc Sportcity 4 stroke, the Sportcity 125 and the Scarabeo 125. The Scarabeo is quiet like the 50, but that is a little deceiving cause it accelerates and climbs hills more like the 125. What I like most about the 100 is the light weight (194 lbs) and mileage..100 mpg. The light weight means you can place it on the center stand easy, move it around your garage easy, and maneuver on city streets easy. The 125s get more like 70-75 mpg. Here's the thing. The 50 is too small for some city driving..headwinds, hills will not allow you to keep up with traffic. Not so with the 100 or larger bikes. You can ride the 100 any place you can ride the 125. Top speed of the 100 is 53 mph. Top speed for most 125s is 60. My Vino 125 performs almost identical to the Scarabeo 100. I agree that the 100 is a perfect size for the city. 125 and 150 are good sizes too, but they may not add any further capabilities.