Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 374

Thread: Track Bike, what are you riding

  1. #16
    apriliaforum Junkie Dolenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Slovenija
    Posts
    286
    My rsv 2000 afcorse


  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert ffkevinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AKRON OHIO!
    Posts
    1,305

    675

    Why not a 675? Go to their forum a guy who comes into our shop is a moderator on a well know 675 forum. His bike blew up then he started noticing more bikes blowing up on the forum. I can't remember what race team had huge reliability issues with their bike this year. Also try throwing one down the track and trying to get parts to have it up and running for the next track day. You can't just jump on the wera board and in 5 minutes have all the parts you need. Plus when you do find em they aren't gonna be cheap. Also if you tip it over in a turn and just break a lever you arent gonna be able to walk down the paddock and say hey do any of you guys have an extra lever I could buy. Bottom line from me is get a good stable bike that's cheap and easy to fix for your first trackbike.

    Kev

    ps the sv 1000 does not handle like the sv 650. Nor is it as forgiving. Before you ask yes I have ridden both on track. The front fork thing is true bu easily solved with the dime a dozen gsxr fork swap. I had a zx6rr front on mine.


    Quote Originally Posted by Spartukus View Post
    that is a lot of information, not that I expected any less. I just never thought the SV650 would be such a great bike. I will have to look into one.
    I have found a GREAT deal on a 08 daytona 675. Besides Tripletrash no one has mentioned anything about the 675. What are your thoughts?

    MuZ720. I totally understand what you mean about the overwhelming power on a liter bike. Needless to say I have very little track experience, but I have riden my 08 Kawi 250 which was fun at first but soon as I learned my lines I quickly noticed it was not set up for the track at all!!! The more I rode it on the track the less I liked it, I felt it was holding me back and I didn't want to spend the money on it because I felt it was going to be pointless. The few times I rode my RSVR on the track I was in 3rd gear and 4th on the straight and the power was just too much for my riding ability.

    I will look at a 675 and certainly concider a SV650

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert ThisEndUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    out here
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdrive View Post
    I ride a 2005 gixxer 750...Hank...might now where to get a track ready bike..ohlins cartridges ,yoyodyne slipper,sato rearsets. Selling mine .
    Dialing his number right now.
    '01 Aprilia RSVR
    '09 Aprilia RS125
    '03 Yamaha R6
    '94 Ducati 900 SS/CR
    '75 Yamaha RD350
    '78 Honda CB550
    '99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    '78 Triumph T140V
    '75 BMW R75/6

  4. #19
    %@*#&! hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13,798
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdrive View Post
    I ride a 2005 gixxer 750...Hank...might now where to get a track ready bike..ohlins cartridges ,yoyodyne slipper,sato rearsets. Selling mine .
    Hey Scott - I'll PM you when I get a chance this afternoon...

    Haven't seen you out there all year - hope all is going well!

  5. #20
    %@*#&! hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13,798
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisEndUp View Post
    Dialing his number right now.
    My little ray of morning sunshine...

  6. #21
    apriliaforum Junkie jer factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Porterville CA.
    Posts
    452
    2001 gsxr 1000 good power good handling (race tech forks penske shock) parts are very easy to come buy & cheaper than most (Suzuki the Chevy of motorcycles).

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert JedB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    12,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartukus View Post
    that is a lot of information, not that I expected any less. I just never thought the SV650 would be such a great bike. I will have to look into one.
    I have found a GREAT deal on a 08 daytona 675. Besides Tripletrash no one has mentioned anything about the 675. What are your thoughts?

    MuZ720. I totally understand what you mean about the overwhelming power on a liter bike. Needless to say I have very little track experience, but I have riden my 08 Kawi 250 which was fun at first but soon as I learned my lines I quickly noticed it was not set up for the track at all!!! The more I rode it on the track the less I liked it, I felt it was holding me back and I didn't want to spend the money on it because I felt it was going to be pointless. The few times I rode my RSVR on the track I was in 3rd gear and 4th on the straight and the power was just too much for my riding ability.

    I will look at a 675 and certainly concider a SV650
    Did you have proper tires for the 250? The stock ones are usually not made for the track.

    My buddy Mark races a 675 and he says it's pretty close to the 929 in terms of weight and hp/weight ratio. He likes his, and is doing pretty well in novice in Michigan/Ohio.


  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert JedB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    12,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ffkevinking View Post
    Kev

    ps the sv 1000 does not handle like the sv 650. Nor is it as forgiving. Before you ask yes I have ridden both on track. The front fork thing is true bu easily solved with the dime a dozen gsxr fork swap. I had a zx6rr front on mine.

    Can't make the fork swap and still race super-sport out here.

  9. #24
    apriliaforum expert ThisEndUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    out here
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    My little ray of morning sunshine...
    '01 Aprilia RSVR
    '09 Aprilia RS125
    '03 Yamaha R6
    '94 Ducati 900 SS/CR
    '75 Yamaha RD350
    '78 Honda CB550
    '99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    '78 Triumph T140V
    '75 BMW R75/6

  10. #25
    apriliaforum Member Murf99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West Allis, Wi
    Posts
    199
    Here's my list of previous track/race bikes (I think y'all will notice a trend here):
    -1998 Honda CBR F3 (also street)
    -2003 Aprilia RSV-R (also street)
    -2005 Honda CBR600RR
    -2001 Aprilia RSV-R (now in the loving hands of MZ720)
    -2004 Aprilia RSV-Factory (present)

    Basically, I ended up an most of those rides because they presented themselves as good deals, while fullfilling what I needs I was looking for (i.e. - the 600RR I was looking for a Japanese 600 - the '04 Factory I was looking for another twin).

    SV-650s are great bikes, and you'll learn rapidly... but lightweights can be a little frustrating at trackdays. It sucks to get motored down the straight, by some hack like myself on a big bike, only to be held up in the corners...

    I think the best 'Trackday' bike I've ever had was the '05 600RR. Great feedback from the front end. Really teaches you how to 'ride' as opposed to 'pointing and not falling off'.

    Hope this helps in some way.
    Todd Murray
    CCS MidWest #99

    Moto Union - Ducati / MV Agusta Milwaukee

    "Humility, in our sport, starts at the second step of the GP podium and works its way down. One hero at a time." - Peter Egan

  11. #26
    apriliaforum Member GreyTuono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cornwall, NY
    Posts
    153
    Last year I went through the same thing with wanting to buy a track bike. My choices came down to a Ducati 749s and a Daytona 675. I chose the 749s, wish I got the 675 instead. My next track bike will either be a 675 or an R6.
    '03 Tuono

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert tripletrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by ffkevinking View Post
    Why not a 675? Go to their forum a guy who comes into our shop is a moderator on a well know 675 forum. His bike blew up then he started noticing more bikes blowing up on the forum. I can't remember what race team had huge reliability issues with their bike this year. Also try throwing one down the track and trying to get parts to have it up and running for the next track day. You can't just jump on the wera board and in 5 minutes have all the parts you need. Plus when you do find em they aren't gonna be cheap. Also if you tip it over in a turn and just break a lever you arent gonna be able to walk down the paddock and say hey do any of you guys have an extra lever I could buy. Bottom line from me is get a good stable bike that's cheap and easy to fix for your first trackbike.

    Kev

    I own two daytona 675's. One 2006 has over 22K miles mostly track or very hard street riding. The second 2007 has 3K race/ track miles. No issues with either one.
    OEM spairs may be a bit more expencive than a honda/suzi/kawi but I realy wouldnt know. The parts are no more expencive than aprilia parts and probably less so. The levers are the same as the kawi 636/600/1000 up to i think 06 so they are fairly common. I have crashed the daytona more than my fair share of times and have never missed a race on it. stick to stuff you actualy know about, not things a guy your buddy knows may have said.
    "sometimes you just have to run at life full bore with an exposed erection" unknown

    check me out on sponsorhouse be sure to add me as a friend if your a member
    http://www.loopd.com/Members/texaspro/Home.aspx
    sponsors
    http://www.violationmotorcyclegear.com/
    www.rpmcycletx.com

  13. #28
    %@*#&! hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet City Racer View Post
    Kinda like the rider?
    Of course - old, slow, overweight and underpowered... and the Mille even has a bit of gray on the sides as well...

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert ffkevinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AKRON OHIO!
    Posts
    1,305

    Copy that

    I wouldve taken you more seriously had you not posted that last part which makes you sound like a dick. Couldve just posted the info. Now that that's said I just checked the wera board and if I balled up my 636 I could get all the parts right now not so much for the 675. My point is jap stuff is easy to get parts for exotics are more difficult now ease up man.


    kev

    ps just read the 675 thread and see how into the bikes you are. I get the loyalty man but no need to fire off the shitty comments

    Quote Originally Posted by tripletrash View Post
    I own two daytona 675's. One 2006 has over 22K miles mostly track or very hard street riding. The second 2007 has 3K race/ track miles. No issues with either one.
    OEM spairs may be a bit more expencive than a honda/suzi/kawi but I realy wouldnt know. The parts are no more expencive than aprilia parts and probably less so. The levers are the same as the kawi 636/600/1000 up to i think 06 so they are fairly common. I have crashed the daytona more than my fair share of times and have never missed a race on it. stick to stuff you actualy know about, not things a guy your buddy knows may have said.
    Last edited by ffkevinking; 10-13-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added ps

  15. #30
    apriliaforum Junkie Spartukus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Great Neck, NY
    Posts
    399
    sounds like it is a true matter of preference.
    I found a great deal on a 08 675, and a great deal on a Honda VFR 400 (there again parts might be difficult to find for that one). I don't want to spend too much money (more then 8k) on my first track bike.

    JebD- the 250 has a the stock tires on it, I have not been able to find other then the OEM tires for it. I only wish.

    thanks guys for all the help.
    Don't make excuses, Make it happen
    08 RSV 1000R
    07 MV Agusta SENNA (261/300)
    04 Ducati 749S (Track Project)
    Dreaming of a F3

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •