Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Bike, what are you riding

Question Track Bike, what are you riding

I am curious to know what you guys are riding on the track, and why did you pick that particular ride?

I am looking into getting a full time track bike for next season and would like some insight.
    Don't make excuses, Make it happen
    08 RSV 1000R
    07 MV Agusta SENNA (261/300)
    04 Ducati 749S (Track Project)
    Dreaming of a F3

then
    2000.5 Ape
    now
    SV-650

I should have started with the SV-650.

I see the SV-650 on the track all the time. what makes you said you should have started with that?
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

What: Up until the end of this season it was my Falco, next year it will be an '04 GSXR 600.

Why: Mostly because it wasn't my Falco. If I crashed the Falco I would be super pissed at myself. Also, it was cheap and has low low mileage. Picking up a used race bike probably would've been a better route because of all the work done to it already, and because of the spares that usually go with these things; but I guess I'll know what I've got as I mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartukus View Post
    I see the SV-650 on the track all the time. what makes you said you should have started with that?
    I came to the 929 after being off the bike 15 years. In retrospect, I should have started off with a smaller bike. This implies comparatively lower speeds, easier learning at comparatively reduced speeds, and learning the basics of track riding.

The 650 is light, corners well if the suspension is set right, and a great platform for learing the basics. It's easier to learn skills if you aren't overwhelmed by the sensations associated with the bigger bikes.

With the larger bikes, it seems one is more worried about fear management than focusing on learning about: Body position, shifting the body on the bike, RPM Managment, Gearing, Throttle control, etc..

Jed B.
    OMRRA #88
    2005 SV-650
    EDR Performance
    Snap On Woodcraft GPR Stabilizer Sidi boots

Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase (Richard Jenkins, RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
    You didn't get the fuckin light saber? You don't Jedi for shit.
    We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar. - David Brooks, NYT.

Both my track bikes are old: 1999 (US2000) Aprilia Mille and 1999 Ducati 748S. However, I JUST SOLD the Duc and will probably get a GSXR 7-fiddy or 600. Then again, that R6 is a sweet Track Ho...

Like Jed, I wish I had started out on an SV650 as it is an excellent track bike to learn basic skills that are too often never learned when people go large capacity when just starting out... Also, it is a bike that can be used by seasoned track experts. Plenty of well-sorted used ones are available, as are parts/spares.

I would say a 250 2-stroker, but not here in the US as parts are getting harder to find and the 2-stroke people are cult-esque and one step from Scientology in their beliefs... must be the fumes...

The Sv 650 is a great bike for track use! In some ways I still wish I had my old one! Easy bike to ride fast, parts, help with set-up and performance up grades are plentiful. You can get good used ones for $2500-$3500 ready to go with spares.
    My 2001 RSVR is a awesome ride just a handful at times and keeps this old man thinking all the time!
    Bikes Owned
    Suzuki GS750 /Street
    Kawasaki ZX900/Street
    Yamaha FZR400/Street-Race
    Honda CBR600/Street/Race
    MuZ650/Race
    MuZ720/Race
    Honda Hawk GT650/Race
    Moto Guzzi LeMans1000/Street
    Kawasaki ZX600R/Race
    Suzuki SV650/race
    Aprilia RSV-R/Race
    Suzuki SV650 Superbike /Race
    2003 Aprilia RSVR /Street

Current Rides
    2003 Buell XB9R/Race
    Harley Daivdson FLXR Road King/Street

apriliaforum expert ffkevinking's Avatar

Bike

Had an sv 650 04 Rsvr, 998 race, back to an Rsvr, now on an 06 636 and it's awesome. The most fun I've had was on the sv loved the fact that you could pass 1000s entering a corner and stay in front of em. No doubt the most fun bike I've had on the track. I like the 636 a ton too lightened it a lot but still not as light as the sv was. But I don't wanna race lt wieght twins so I'm on the 636.

Kev

Banned
    Everybody aslways talks about the SV-650, which I agree is an awesome bike. But what about the SV-1000. As I use to own one, you get the same handling feel of a 650, but with the kick of a 1k.

The SV1k came with better forks, brakes, etc.

I love my RSV but I was a little more daring into the corners on my 06 Sv1k

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    2-stroke people are cult-esque and one step from Scientology in their beliefs... must be the fumes...
    'Sitting back with a a nice bottle of Castrol.......mmmmm

I ride an RS125.
    As long as I don't wind up in the weeds, I'm having a great time.

Crazy fast steering / handling. Carries big speed through the turns. Straights are a bit of a drag though. No making up for botched corners with horsepower on the straights

I'm loving it. 'Looking forward to next season.
    '01 Aprilia RSVR
    '09 Aprilia RS125
    '03 Yamaha R6
    '94 Ducati 900 SS/CR
    '75 Yamaha RD350
    '78 Honda CB550
    '99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    '78 Triumph T140V
    '75 BMW R75/6

apriliaforum expert tripletrash's Avatar
    Triumph daytona 675. great track/race bike. I bought it as a street bike then busted the oil pan on my track bike so I decided to take the 675 out. I liked it so much better than my 600. the power is good but easy to use, not realy peaky. It also handles and brakes well. I also have two modified sxv 550's wich I bought because they are an SV killer in the right hands.
    "sometimes you just have to run at life full bore with an exposed erection" unknown

check me out on sponsorhouse be sure to add me as a friend if your a member
    http://www.loopd.com/Members/texaspro/Home.aspx
    sponsors
    http://www.violationmotorcyclegear.com/
    www.rpmcycletx.com

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Both my track bikes are old:
    Kinda like the rider?
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    All I've ever ridden on the track are 1000's.

Why fuck around?

Although turn 1 at PR is a little intimidating the first day or two of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFx8gW0qgFI

As well as braking into T2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygC97dN5xoQ
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

that is a lot of information, not that I expected any less. I just never thought the SV650 would be such a great bike. I will have to look into one.
    I have found a GREAT deal on a 08 daytona 675. Besides Tripletrash no one has mentioned anything about the 675. What are your thoughts?

MuZ720. I totally understand what you mean about the overwhelming power on a liter bike. Needless to say I have very little track experience, but I have riden my 08 Kawi 250 which was fun at first but soon as I learned my lines I quickly noticed it was not set up for the track at all!!! The more I rode it on the track the less I liked it, I felt it was holding me back and I didn't want to spend the money on it because I felt it was going to be pointless. The few times I rode my RSVR on the track I was in 3rd gear and 4th on the straight and the power was just too much for my riding ability.

I will look at a 675 and certainly concider a SV650
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

I ride a 2005 gixxer 750...Hank...might now where to get a track ready bike..ohlins cartridges ,yoyodyne slipper,sato rearsets. Selling mine .

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast