Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider seriously injured

Update

From Zac's Mom:

Update Sat. Oct. 3

Zac is still off the vent! He is getting 1 liter of oxygen through his trach today because his heart rate is above 100. The nursing staff got him from his bed into his Barton chair and he was able to sit up for about an hour and a half. Then, Zac had another bout of vomiting and was returned to bed. They do not believe this had any thing to do with his feeding, but maybe over-stimulation.
    The cardiologist came in and said that Zac had some fluid around his heart, but it was a small amount, and no treatment was necessary. The respiratory therapist said that tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. Zac will have been off the vent for 72 hours. At that point they officially can say that someone is weaned off the vent. If his blood gases are good in the morning, they will even remove the ventilator machine from his room. I would say that God answered that prayer pretty fast!!
    Zac barely cracked his right eye open before I left tonight. Can't remember if we were talking about his Dad's new iPhone or ordering pizza! LOL
    Last edited by Axecent; 12-28-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    A mind is like a parachute: It doesn't work if it isn't open. FZ

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right. Victor Hugo

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

Sunday update from Yuliya

From Zac's Mom:

Sunday 10/4/09 8:42pm

Zac is officially off the vent as of 11:00 this morning!! The machine has even been removed from his room. Around 1:15 today they put Zac in his barton chair for about an hour. His heart rate went up to 130 while he was in the chair. They decided to put him back in bed to get his heart rate back down. After a while, his heart rate went down to 119. Then around 6:30 he had a visitor and his heart rate went back up to 126. His eyes were open as much as they were the day he arrived to Texas; however, his heart rate went up to 129. The staff then decided it was best for Zac not to have any stimulation for a while and we were all asked to step out. We must all realize that his body may react in ways we do not understand and at times it is best for him to have rest and zero stimulation. There may be days ahead when it will not be appropriate for any visitors, and even family may be asked to allow Zac to rest. We need to respect this and remember that we only want what is best for Zac!!
    "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him..."

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

Update from Yuliya

From Zac's Mom:

Tuesday 10/6/09 DAY 60
    Today at 9:23pm

Not much change or excitement today. When I called this morning around 9:00 to see how he was doing, his heart rate was 114. Zac did sit up again in his chair from around 11:00 until after 2:00. His heart rate was around 111. Having to work and miss all the Dr's when they come to see Zac is frustrating. Zac's dad said the neurologist finally came around 10:00 or 10:30 last night. If I want to catch him I will have to be at the hospital late on the day(s) he comes. This may not be one of the Dr's that we look forward to talking to." That's all I have to say about that" as Forrest Gump would say.
    Keep the prayer flood gates open, we must not lose our hope or our faith!!! God can change His mind

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Progress may be slow but progress it seems is indeed being seen. Keep the updates coming Axcent, they are the first thing I check every morning.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Update

From Zac's mom via Yuliya:

Wednesday 10/7/09 DAY 61
    Yesterday at 9:22pm

Zac's heart rate has stayed around 100-105 all day. Zac was up in his chair from 2:00-4:20. He tolerated this well. I did range of motion on his arms while he was up in the chair. When we transferred him back to bed, I did range of motion on his legs and ankles. I'm sure Zac is so happy that his mom is a therapist at times...not! It makes me feel good to fuss over him and make sure that he is positioned well in the bed. I was telling the nurse tonight that I'm glad there is not a pillow shortage.
    Zac did crack his eyes open whenever we were moving him around this afternoon and tonight.

Update frm Yuliya

From Zac's Mom:

Thursday 10/8/09 DAY 62
    Yesterday at 9:21pm

No significant change in Zac's condition. I did get to talk to his physical medicine Dr. on the phone today. She believes that Zac is experiencing "storms". This is when his sympathetic nervous system goes into overdrive. Zac shows signs of this when his heart rate increases and he starts to sweat. When this happens we must make sure that he is comfortable by seeing if his position needs changing, turning the fan on, and decreasing his stimulation. I tell you all this so that if you are wanting to visit Zac you will understand why there may be times when no visitors are allowed in his room, even family.
    Sometimes this all seems overwhelming, but I know that nothing is too big for God. My human nature is experiencing many emotions through this. I am trying to take it one day at a time. My human nature wants me to worry about what is to be, but I am fighting this so that I may rest in the Lord and His promises. Thank all of you for your prayers and words of encouragement. I can honestly say that this is the hardest thing I have had to go through in my life; even harder than the death of my parents. Your continued prayers would be greatly appreciated.

I will keep Zac in my prayers.

apriliaforum expert RSVRFACTORY's Avatar
    I was thinking about Zac and his family today....keep praying for fast recovery
    Quote Originally Posted by falco03 View Post
    anyone that'd do that to a falco oughtta have their nuts tacked to a stump and then pushed over backwards.

My carbon footprint is about 3% of Al Gore's, and if you're greener than Gore, you're green enough

Update from Yuliya

From Zac's Mom:

Saturday 10/10/09 DAY 64
    Today at 12:24pm

Got a text message from Zac's dad at 11:45 pm last night that the nurses had called him to report that Zac had moaned, a real moan. When I was with him today, I heard him make a long sigh after a period of coughing. I feel that this may be a sign, along with the fact that he is keeping his eyes cracked open more, that he is trying to emerge from his coma.
    Unfortunately, Zac has a sore on his tailbone area that has gotten a little worse. There have been strict orders written that Zac is to be kept on his side and not flat on his back because of this. He is so thin because of the weight loss that I was afraid this would happen. This has also affected how long he can sit up in his chair. He cannot sit up for much more than an hour because of the pressure that is put on that area when you sit up. Zac's heart rate is also going up whenever they get him up in the chair. Today, his heart rate went up to 130, which is not good. They are giving him medicine to lower his heart rate.
    There are so many factors in this whole situation. It is hard because one thing affects another. I'm always praying that the Lord would take care of everything so that we could continue to move forward and not backward. I'm not too proud to ask for prayer, and I am asking for prayer!! I realize we may be approaching the point soon when it will be revealed what God's plan is for Zac. Will he answer our prayers for a complete restoration? I'm trying to hold on to my faith tightly and wait for the miracle.
    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus". Phil 4:6-7

Update from Yuliya

From Zac's Mom:

Monday 10/12/09 DAY 66 at 10:43pm

They still have Zac's trach capped off and when I arrived to see him around 2:00 he was sitting up in his chair. His eyes were closed, but it seemed as if he were really trying to say something. He was making a lot of sounds, and this went on the entire time he was sitting up which was around 2 hours! When they got him back in bed he seemed exhausted from all the effort and became still and quiet. His heart rate was pretty good considering how much he was vocalizing; it stayed around 120. It really seemed as if he were trying his hardest to say something, but it just wouldn't come out. I would ask for special prayer that God would allow Zac to form the words. I pray that God would allow total healing so that Zac can be a great witness for Him and His greatness! May God receive all the glory and honor
    Last edited by Axecent; 12-28-2009 at 06:31 AM.

apriliaforum expert RSVRFACTORY's Avatar
    thank you for all the updates Axecent
    Quote Originally Posted by falco03 View Post
    anyone that'd do that to a falco oughtta have their nuts tacked to a stump and then pushed over backwards.

My carbon footprint is about 3% of Al Gore's, and if you're greener than Gore, you're green enough

Thanks for the updates. Prayer said just now.

Update

From Zac's Mom:

Wednesday 10/14/09 DAY 68
    Yesterday at 9:37pm

Zacs temperature was up this morning to 100.4. They are going to do a chest X-ray tomorrow to see if he has bronchitis or maybe pneumonia. The nurse told me that Zac sat up in his barton chair from about 1:30-4:30 today. His heart rate went up to 130 which they really don't like, but after they turned the fan on him and put some soothing music on, his heart rate went down. The nurses' aide weighed him today and he weighs 128.5. As you can imagine, being 6'1", he should weigh much more than this. Plus, as I told Zac, he cannot weigh less than his mother!! Zac continues to crack his eyes open for longer periods of time, and is continuing with the head movements and vocalizing. I was told that he responded to everything that the speech therapist did today. (That means with either eye movement or head movement) It does appear that he is trying to emerge from the coma and now his physical medicine Dr. feels the same way.
    I am anxiously awaiting the miracle to happen!

Update

From Zac's Mom:

Thursday 10/15/09 DAY 69
    Yesterday at 9:56pm

The results of Zac's chest X-ray this morning showed that once again he has pneumonia. They are not keeping his trach capped off, but rather have an attachment on it that gives Zac oxygen through his trach. Because of this, we are not hearing as much vocalizing. He is still making noise, just not as much. The nurse told me that when they were putting him back to bed after sitting up 2 hours that his eyes opened up more than they have and it looked like he was trying to focus on her!! They have started a 3rd medication today to help him emerge from the coma. He was also started on an antibiotic for the pneumonia.
    Immediate prayer needs are for the resolving of the pneumonia and that the "bedsore" on his tailbone area would heal. Thank you to all the prayer warriors out there!!!

Update

From Zac's Mom:

Saturday 10/17/09 DAY 71

No real change in Zac's condition. He is still battling the pneumonia; maybe this is why he wasn't vocalizing today while i was there. (Well, other than snoring!) They did get him up in his chair today. The new "high tech" bed that Zac is in is the top of the line for relief of pressure on a person's body. Hopefully that wound on his tailbone area will heal soon. Now, if we could just fatten that boy up!!
    Please continue to pray for the pneumonia to be resolved, and for the healing of the bedsore. Of course we continue to pray that the Lord will completely heal Zac and bring him back to us soon

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast