Thread: Removing paint overspray from vinyl seat

apriliaforum Junkie

Removing paint overspray from vinyl seat

The office building adjacent to our parking lot hired a couple of high school kids to paint the exterior walls using rollers. Unfortunately, the kids did so while the parking lot was full. A number of vehicles ended up covered with flecks of gray-green paint, including my Beo.

The kids have no insurance, bond or license so they are essentially judgement-proof. Other than washing the cars, they have no knowledge of how to remove paint overspray. I steered them towards a clay bar system which is commonly used for this purpose.

Since I do that sort of thing myself, I went home and clay-barred and polished the Beo and applied a top coat of Klasse All-in-one. The only sticky wicket is that I cannot find a method to remove the paint overspray from the vinyl seat. "Goof-off", a clay bar and vinyl protectant does not work. Any other ideas for solvents or mechanical means to remove the paint that will not trash my seat?

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    2004 Scarabeo 500: serial number 004 and built in July 2003 (Sold 5/2012)
    2008 Suzuki DR650 (Sold 5/2012)
    2012 Suzuki DL650A
    Two road, three mountain and one folding bicycle

apriliaforum expert
    This stuff works. I use it to remove latex paint graffity from buildings.
    http://www.dtep.com/liftoff5.htm
    I would however hold the building owners responsible. It is their responsibility to make sure that their paint contractor has insurance.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
    The office building adjacent to our parking lot hired a couple of high school kids to paint the exterior walls using rollers. Unfortunately, the kids did so while the parking lot was full. A number of vehicles ended up covered with flecks of gray-green paint, including my Beo.

The kids have no insurance, bond or license so they are essentially judgement-proof. Other than washing the cars, they have no knowledge of how to remove paint overspray. I steered them towards a clay bar system which is commonly used for this purpose.

Since I do that sort of thing myself, I went home and clay-barred and polished the Beo and applied a top coat of Klasse All-in-one. The only sticky wicket is that I cannot find a method to remove the paint overspray from the vinyl seat. "Goof-off", a clay bar and vinyl protectant does not work. Any other ideas for solvents or mechanical means to remove the paint that will not trash my seat?
    I got paint spilled on my Helix seat and Goof Off removed 99% of it, still ended up buying a new seat off E-Bay because down in the texture it would not come clean.

About the Liability. If an owner hires an unlicensed contractor they are responsible for any liabilities caused be the unlicensed contractor. Thank God no one was hurt. If it was a tenant who hired them and the owner was not notified the onus falls on the tenant. First price out ALL your damages and write a demand letter for the damages to all parties. If you get no response name all of them in a small claims court case and have them all served. You will get a check from someone before it goes to court. Also PLEASE notify your state contractor’s license board about this unlicensed contractor because what they are doing is illegal and unethical and puts a blemish on the entire industry. Unlicensed contractors are an avoidable hazard and the state license board will want to know.

Ride safe
    Mark

All true... I hope that you can get that seat cleaned.

apriliaforum expert
    Have you tried the claybar on the seats?
    Vehicles:
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT ABS++
    2007 RoadRunner iscooter Classic 150
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 6 speed manual
    2012 Fiat 500c 1.4 Multiair 5 speed manual
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6 Pentastar 6 speed manual

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JulioB View Post
    Have you tried the claybar on the seats?
    I did. It does not remove the paint from the 'cracks and crevices', so to speak, of the textured vinyl. I might give the Goof-off another try and let it soak for a bit. I had tried it with application and then immediate removal since I was unsure what effect it could have on the vinyl.

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    2004 Scarabeo 500: serial number 004 and built in July 2003 (Sold 5/2012)
    2008 Suzuki DR650 (Sold 5/2012)
    2012 Suzuki DL650A
    Two road, three mountain and one folding bicycle

I did. It does not remove the paint from the 'cracks and crevices', so to speak, of the textured vinyl. I might give the Goof-off another try and let it soak for a bit. I had tried it with application and then immediate removal since I was unsure what effect it could have on the vinyl.
    Be careful of using chemicals on a seat especially if it is in the area you sit on. If you don't get it all off and go for a ride on a hot day, you may end up with a burning rash on your butt or leg. You may guess how I know this.
    06 Scarabeo 250 #363
    06 V-Star 650 #267
    08 Zap pk #469, 100% Electric

The stock vinyl is so crappy that I would hesitate to use even water on it. When and if you ever have the seat reupholstered you will see what I mean.
    Shfls... 2004 S-500, red/black #0131

If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you.

Time is finite...OK, time is infinite, but yours isn't!