Thread: Race report- 7-8th Feb

apriliaforum expert Pro Backmarker's Avatar

Race report- 7-8th Feb

OK, w/end just past saw rd 1 of my club champoinships, and, well it was one of "those" rounds for me. I went in feeling confident of a good result, and it quickly turned into making the most. Read on if interested...........

Sat morn sees an early start (ever tried to get a family with 2 kids 3 yrs old and under up and into the car for a 1 1/2hr drive to the track and still be there by 7am???). Set up the shelter and setup my area. Rip out the wheels to drop around to the bridgstone truck, and notice I've got NO rear brake pad left!! Odd, there was heaps only 2 meets ago. OK, I can live with that- just means using no rear brake for the w/end...Shame though, I use the rear brake to correct myself mid corner a lot....

First practice, Clutch is slipping REAL bad, like as soon as I hit the power band in 4th, 5th or 6th!!. OK, scrounge around, and find a mate has a spare set back home. so I can do that sat night.....In the mean time I gear her down to ease the load on the clutch and remove the locknut on the adjuster to make the cable as loose as possible and max clutch clamp force (I'd ran out of slack in both adjusters).
    Second practice, and the clutch is better (once it's hot), but I'm taking it easy. Try and work on getting used to front brake only, and I'm trail braking much deeper that I usually feel happy doing, but it's sunny, low wind and the grip is pretty good

First race (<500cc Non Expert), Clutch is sorta holding, but i figure that It only has to see out the day so I give it sh!t off the line and it seems to get better with heat. I actually start to move forward (rare for me in this class!), when on lap 3 I break a chain!! (actually, loose a joining link). Trip back in the recovery truck. Replace the link and clean the chain over lunch, and quick check of the damage. Busted chain guard, crack in the tailpiece, scratched hugger and some dings in the swing arm.

Race 2, (another <500cc N/E) and I take it a bit easy (paranoid?? me??? you bet!), but when I come in I can smell fuel. Pull off the L/H fairing and have a poke around. I find the overflow fitting on the carb bowl is busted off (chain must have hit it), and dripping fuel on the exhaust, sizzling away. I quickly Drain the tank and bowl, then sit around thinking whats plan c (or is that d?) I ask around for some fuel proof silastic. I end up with some loctite gasket eliminator. The fitting is repositioned, and i bury the lot in sealant. I decide to leave the clutch & see....off home to a comfy bed.

Sunday morn sees a more relaxed 7:30 arrival. Check last nights repair, and find the sealent I had used turned out to be non hardening anearobic, so the join is still soft. I figure it is low pressure, and an overflow only, so I decide to do first practice & see how it goes. Just keep the fire extinguisher handy.

Practice over, and theres no fuel leak to speak of. The clutch is unsuprisingly slipping bad again, but it'll do.

Race 3, (<500cc N/E again) and the bitch won't start!! 5 mins of kicking before she finally slputters to life. It's now flooding when left after a ride (that fitting must have blocked now!). Had an OK race, the clutch came good after the start. Placed about 14th, which is typical for this class. I actually had 2-3 great laps, holding about 8th till I had a big moment, and then cooked 2 corners bad trying to make up time. Backed off, thinking after my w/end so far last thing I want to do is throw her away!

Anyway, last race, and the one that counts(250cc production). Bike didn't want to fire again, but once started was OK. Had a good start, and rode med/hard. Thought I was in with a solid chance for a few laps, but I just couldn't hold another proddie after 3 laps. Anyway it all held together and afterwards I check finished 3rd, so I'm actually pretty rapt!!

So, in the washup It seems I've got a bit of work between now & the next round a month away, I came home with a good points tally for the proddie title, and all things considered, still had more fun than is natural all things considered...

Ego Shot

Cheers
    Real men race road circuits- Team mosquito killers
    Go zouzou!! Zouzou

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hehe grats. Looking forward to reading your next race "report" And lets hope the bike dont give you trouble then.

apriliaforum Member
    Interesting report and great pic - keep us posted

apriliaforum prov-nov
    well done you were lucky to stay on when that chain went awol!
    can't wait to get out on mine, our season doesn't start till mid march, i'm real bored!

Nice report PB,

Glad it all picked up at the end, that shot rules, im so fighting off the urge to get a 250 and try tracking & racing.
    VAG Cars - www.vagcars.co.uk - North East VAG Owners Club

apriliaforum expert spence88MPH's Avatar

yet another fine report

very cool, like I said, good on you for hanging in there.

love the pic, but you gotta admit, my duck hunting shot is better!! Just a real shame it's fake, a real shame!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For the conditions you were in it sounds like you did very well. I will be able to find out next Tuesday at my club meeting wether or not I will be able to join you at Mac Park. Here's hoping.
    Gotta love the great land of Oz, riding all year round!!!

PB Racing - Australian R1 Forum

apriliaforum expert Pro Backmarker's Avatar
    Yeah Spence, the "Duc hunter" shot is sweet!!

Paul, let us know how ya go mate, be goo to see ya there! Actually, if your 1/2 fast and might earn solid champoinship points, I'll remove that welcome

There was one real downer for the w/end. There was a crash in the 600 novice race, and a guy got banged up real bad. He was air ambulanced out, but I heard from the others sharing the pit shed with him that he didn't make it to hospital......
    Real men race road circuits- Team mosquito killers
    Go zouzou!! Zouzou

Pro backmaker is soon to be seen on tv on the moto gp I tell you!