Thread: Top Case / Rack Combinations

apriliaforum prov-nov

Top Case / Rack Combinations

From what I have picked up on this Forum the options for attaching a top case to the Shiver is quite limited. I am a big fan of the Givi boxes but the rack for the Shiver does not look so hot. So I am looking for a viable hybrid system, for example of the racks available the Hepco and Becker looks to be superior to the others with its alloy construction and triangular mounting point system, question is can a Givi plate be sucessfully attached to the H & B rack, is anyone currently have such a system on their bike and any feedback about it would be appreciated.
    Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
    2016 Aprilia Shiver ABS - Black

Hi Tony
    Martco had fitted a Givi top box rack to his Shiver and it cracked the rear subframe as it was simply cantilevered off the rear subframe. I had a DS1000 Multistrada, some of which suffer cracks in the tubes of the subframe so I had some triangulation brackets made up.
    I can't comment about the H+B but it should not be difficult to fit a Givi plate.
    I had a bracket made that attaches to my Shiver OEM pannier frames. I modelled this on the H+B topbox bracket. These also attach to the pillion footpeg bracket, so I comfortable that they are very strong. The actual cost was about the same as getting a Givi topbox rack, but then I already had the OEM pannier rack. I can post a photo if this would help.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    I used the Hepco Becker rack on my Dorsoduro, them made an adaptor plate out of aircraft aluminum to attach a Givi Monolock plate and 32L Givi box. It works great, but as Frodo says I don't carry heavy stuff in there on rough terrain.

Let me see if I can find the old thread where I pisted pictures.

Here it is:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...f-racks-please
    Last edited by High Country; 03-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yes, High Country, that looks excellent, if I can get a Hepco Becker rack shipped out here to NZ economically then that will be the way to go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Martco had fitted a Givi top box rack to his Shiver and it cracked the rear subframe as it was simply cantilevered off the rear subframe.
    Indeed, the Givi design is not triangulated at all and the cantilever forces combined with London's passion for speed control humps/potholes cracked the sub-frame mounting hole area plates pretty quickly.
    I did buy an H&B rack with the additional supports to the rear footrests, but found it was designed to fit very closely to the flat profile of the stock exhaust, so simply would not fit to the round profile of the Arrow silencers I was running.

PS the skinny rack/box I had on the Grom broke as well! .... must try and slow down for those humps.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I was running this setup for 6 months over winter.
    Took it off as i was fitting lots of carbon and i am not drilling my carbon seat unit to fit luggage.
    Gonna just pick up an old touring bike for when i travel, my dorso is my toy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22792234_10214227431857833_7557266532958233495_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	354582

apriliaforum prov-nov
    That's a well loaded Dorso!

Quote Originally Posted by fireyphoenix89 View Post
    I was running this setup for 6 months over winter.
    Took it off as i was fitting lots of carbon and i am not drilling my carbon seat unit to fit luggage.
    Gonna just pick up an old touring bike for when i travel, my dorso is my toy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22792234_10214227431857833_7557266532958233495_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	354582

apriliaforum prov-nov
    58L top box (only box i have found that will take 2 full size helmets with a little room to spare for gloves ect), panniers and a pillion plus a 120 kg rider.Handy for doing the weekly food shop tho.
    I was asking too much from it i think as the handling was crap loaded up even with preload cranked up to compensate.

Going to pick up a GS for long distances / shopping ect and keep my dorso as light as possible.