Thread: I finally got my Krauser saddlebag mounts done for my 08 Shiver

apriliaforum Member

I finally got my Krauser saddlebag mounts done for my 08 Shiver

I've wanted hard saddlebags for my Shiver since I bought it a few years ago. The options were custom or...custom. I already had sets of Krauser K4 and K5 hard cases so that's what I went with. I bought the factory Aprilia soft saddlebag brackets and a set of Krauser mounts. I cut and ground off the brackets for the Krauser mounts and had them welded to the Aprilia brackets. I sprayed the parts with canned spray on bedliner. I may take them and have them powder coated later this year. I though I'd test them out a bit before that final step.

The cases in the photos are the K4, 42 liter cases. The set up is pretty wide. They are about 42" from outside to outside at the widest point.

2008 Aprilia Shiver
    2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    I like that they don't hang down very far with the panniers off.

Is there storage inside that backrest?
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Weel see you later then

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    I like that they don't hang down very far with the panniers off.

Is there storage inside that backrest?
    the Corbin glovebox on the backrest holds 4 liters. I’ve used it to carry a tire plug kit and air compressor.
    2008 Aprilia Shiver

Philip i take one of those gas pushbike ones and 4 canisters very effective small foot print as well.

Nice.
    I may replace my OEM panniers with Givi boxes at some point and will attach the OEM mounts to the Givi boxes. I have the Givi E22 in mind as they have a smaller footprint and I like that they are top loading. Your system definitely allows more stuff to be carried.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Nice.
    I may replace my OEM panniers with Givi boxes at some point and will attach the OEM mounts to the Givi boxes. I have the Givi E22 in mind as they have a smaller footprint and I like that they are top loading. Your system definitely allows more stuff to be carried.
    I think the Givi E22 cases would look good on a sporty bike. They would look better than mu setup and be much more narrow.
    2008 Aprilia Shiver

The original Givi Easylocks were not bad; about the same width as the handlebars. There were discontinued in favor of the expandable Easylock, which is a few inches wider.

2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum newb
    I like the bags--what seat is that?

The original GIVI easylock came with my shiver. The zipper handles are all broken off and one of them, the zip itself is unwound. I don't know if that's common but I've never seen such ruined zips on bags before.

Quote Originally Posted by ACHTUNG! View Post
    I like the bags--what seat is that?

The original GIVI easylock came with my shiver. The zipper handles are all broken off and one of them, the zip itself is unwound. I don't know if that's common but I've never seen such ruined zips on bags before.
    The zipper handles on my Givi bags are made of very soft metal, so I am really careful with them. After lots of off road riding, dust began to jam the zippers. I used an old tooth brush to clean the zipper teeth, then lightly rubbed them with a bar of soap. They are like new again.

The other issue with the Givi Easylock is the strength of the mounts. They have little key activated plastic locks that grab the frames. Hit those bags on something and they pop right off. I found that out when my wife pulled up a little too close at a stop sign once.

Of course she has hard mounted Pelican cases that she could lift her bike off the ground with.