Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FP 1413 Chip Install ?

apriliaforum expert stoneflylama's Avatar

FP 1413 Chip Install ?

I'm getting a FP 1413 chip for my Falco. I have read up on installation but still have a few questions. I understand that after putting in my RPMs should jump up to about 1700. If not then I need the fuel pressure modifier as I have too much pressure and need to set it at 43-44psi. Cool.
    *If my RPMs do go up: I have to set the bleed screws on the throttle bodies to about 1/2 turn out from fully seated or wherever gives me the correct idle RPM and is a smooth idle?
    *Now the CO pots on my ECU are enabled: Should I mess with them? What should I be trying to achieve? Smoother idle? Since I don't have a gas analyser can I tune the CO pots by sound?
    "Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell."

Search for this.

Search feature works well on this site.

It's all there.

Okay, finally got the info I was looking for. I did some searches last night but couldn't get what I wanted. Magic search words "chip adjust" got me the good stuff. Ed from AF1 has an excellent step-by-step on the FP chip-idle adjust knob-CO pots-and air bleed screws. Very cool.

Well you probably will find some improvement compared to the standard Falco chip but I really find the FP 1413 much worse then the standard RSV chip and also much worse then the RSC Titanium chip, which also reactivates the trimpots.
    Worse investment I ever made on the bike was the FP1314.
    It worked worse in all ranges and also increased fuel consumption.
    Fuel air ratio was best with the RSC Titanium, between 12,5 : 1 ans 13 :1 all the time. Best power with the RSC peaking at 119 HP on the wheel at 9500 rpm against some slobby 112 with the FP and also worse on mid range.

Crono

I've got the RSC cans and chip that came with the RSCs in her right now. I'm hoping for smoother operation down low and quicker revs. The power is good with the RSC chip with no flat spots that are noticeable but it is a little rough down low. Im hoping the 1413 will be able to be dialed in using the CO pots to be a little smoother. If I can't get it better with the 1413 and a fuel pressure modifier if necessary I can go back to the RSC chip.

I am also running RSC cans and chip, and finding pretty much the same. Good power, a little ragged down low. If you get the 1413 dialed in, keep us posted.
    '01 Falco
    '02 ZX12R
    '06 EX650R
    '73 Bultaco Flattracker

Guys,

before I finally led then RSC chip in I have been trying for days to fine tune other chips. Definitively the RSC Ti Evo was in my case the smoothest and most powerfull. Getting your co well and synchronising the throttle bodies is an absolute must to get a any chip working decently.
    The FP 1413 was designed for the 1999 and 2000 models (this was told by Marc Salvisberg) and the later 2000.5 + models needed a fuel pressure regulator because the fuel pressure would be too high?
    WTF would someone need a lower fuel pressure? The higher the better as the "spray" will be better. So if a chip need to lower the fuel pressure to work, it was not fit for the engine anyway. I simply stopped trying out as it showed difficult to get consistent good running. I was able to get an idle of about 1200 rpm but the engine was proned too satll under heavy braking entering corners and almost caused me to crash because of that (locking up rear wheel). I normally let the engine idle at 1700-1800 on track to have a smoother pick-up but to set-up I try to get it idling as low as possible, then increase to 1800.
    However with the FP chip it was always a compromise and not agood one. For smoothest pick-up the standard chip was better and it also performed better on the dyno then the FP chip.
    Good luck but if you know how to tune the trimpotes and throttle bodies I'm pretty sure you will come to the same conclusion then I did.
    The FP chip was the worse investment on the bike, best was the öhlins rear shock and the Brembo PR 19 radial pump.
    The most effective improvements on the bike will come from suspension, not from a (any) chip.

Crono

Originally posted by Crono
    ...WTF would someone need a lower fuel pressure? The higher the better as the "spray" will be better...
    That's got next to nothing to do with spray patterns. The reason that you need to be dead balls on accurate with fuel pressure is that it controls the rough order of magnitude of richness for the whole fuel curve. Think about it...the only variable to play with as far as any injector goes are the timing and how long the injector stays open. If you're feeding a bunch more fuel in that given millisecond of time that the injector's open, you're gonna get that much richer of a mix. The only thing the chip's doing is changing how long that injector stays open at a certain rpm. That duration is based on feeding a certain amount of fuel...mess with the fuel pressure and the whole curve will be off. For the BMW R1100S one trick instead of a proper chip is to put in a K1200RS fuel pressure regulator which bumps up the whole fuel curve up as it maintains a higher fuel pressure than the stock R1100S regulator.

The whole thing's crazy to me...the variability and unpredictable thing with what pressure your Aprilia has from the factory all the way to having to stick an adjustable regulator and pressure gauge...nuts I tellya.

My 01' Falco should have the low fuel pressure 43-44psi but they say they vary from bike to bike. From what I understand if you have 43-44psi or install regulator to get 43-44psi then the 1413 chip is the best one. Smooth, quick reving, and as strong as any of the other chips. Who knows, I'll give it a shot. I've got the rear Ohlins already and would like to get the forks reworked. I got a good deal on the chip though, and don't have the funds for the fork yet. There is so much good stuff for these bikes that I just watch the forums and ebay and pick up what I can.

Carlos,

You just confirmed what I said.
    The chip will regulate at what time injection will start and when it will stop. The injector itself will remain the same, the amount of fuel able to mix with air will slightly cgange but the higher the pressure the better the mixture because it creates a much finer ·mist". If one should decrease the pressure to have the same or similar power then ypu already have from a standard chip, the why would you go through that process. Of course aftermarket sales will go up but I don't think it's of any use if you want to increase power or throttle response.
    With the the RSC Ti chip I got a fuel/air ratio of 1:13 which is close to ideal. With the FP it was much richer and the bike ran worse and delivered less power in all ranges. Also that FP chip was not cheap and buying another (a bit less expensive) toy to play around to have the results I already had was throwing away money.
    There are no miraclous chips, as there are no miracles to expect from changing only a filter. Tuning is complex and if you really want to get a good improvement you will have to blue print the engine, flow the heads and ports and install an exhaust sytem that will work for that specific set-up and if you want to go even further you can install other valves, cams pistons etc...In any case you will have to optimize all these elements again, which is a long and expensive way to go.
    There are no "of the shelf" horsepowers.
    Believe less then 50% which is tols by the commmercials and you stiil will be disapointed.
    I myself have ruined a lot of cilinders and pistons in 2 stroke tuning (4 stroke was too expensive) and because of that I have learnt a lot but I also lost a lot of money.
    Anyway anyone is free to discover this on his own, and it is great fun.

Crono

apriliaforum expert ApexMolester's Avatar

i too yanked out my fp chip

and even had a dyno to tune it on with my press reg!

the rsc chip is ideal at 1:13 on the 2003 rotax imo.

my bike runs so much better with the pc3 now, however it is richer and i have lost some topend (<8mph).

if someone want one they can have mine

ApexMolester

Hey bub, what happened to the dyno run?

apriliaforum expert ApexMolester's Avatar

Re: ApexMolester

Originally posted by X-CBR MAN
    Hey bub, what happened to the dyno run?
    it was 122+/71#

still lifts the wheel in 3rd

Thumbs down FP Chip

I'd like to jump on the bandwagon too....The FP chip SUCKS with a capital S! With a slip on, air kit and the FP chip my bike ran better with the stock chip. The FP chip seems way too rich, and I did tune the trim pots and air screws. ANyone want to buy FP chip cheap?

After saying all that, it's still in my bike. Only because I'm too lazy to change it back...when there's a fix on the way.

apriliaforum Member laverdamancouk's Avatar
    this is mainly for crono ..in the respect what do you know about the rs 125.....and no i'm no booy racer i'm rebuilding for my daughters 2nd means of transport .....and sorry i can't help you guys any help on the fuel injection probs but i feel for you .. i've only been into the subject of this since the laverda purchase and if it wasn't for guys like you who do know a bit or two i would know nothing at all ....but i'm no expert on aprilia at the mo...so sorry if i'm off topic and an old thread but there are alot of young newcomers on the 125 place amonst all the others who know a bit ..but can't be doing with 90% shittalk...sorry for the language..
    ok cheers for replies
    shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast