Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scooter that look like Motorcycles?

Had a CPI and it sucked would not recommend it. If your in America you have one option. The Aprilia SR50. It's automatic looks like an RS50 and even though its a step through it still looks the best, rides the best, and built the best. The gileras etc are nice but dont come here. My Derbi GPR is a 50 and is a motorcycle but manual.
    Dman

Current Bike: 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R

Aprilias/Motorcycles(Past):
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    2003 SR50 Di-Tech Morini
    2006 SR50 Di-Tech Morini
    2005 Derbi GPR50
    2009 Aprilia SR50 Piaggio

also take a look at the Italian sales chart for 2009

Only HQ brands. Some Chinese scooters are 1/3 the price of the HQ brands, but still most people prefer to pay the extra money for a reliable product

2007 Aprilia SportCity 250
    2009 Honda CBF 600 SA ABS
    Ford Mondeo 1,8 (for Winther purpose)

apriliaforum prov-nov DannyPetrov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman51 View Post
    Had a CPI and it sucked would not recommend it. If your in America you have one option. The Aprilia SR50. It's automatic looks like an RS50 and even though its a step through it still looks the best, rides the best, and built the best. The gileras etc are nice but dont come here. My Derbi GPR is a 50 and is a motorcycle but manual.
    I agree and think that an SR 50 is the best one to get. I know its still a step through but it still looks better than any other moped.
    And plus, wouldnt you rather live with the fact that your bike isnt trying to be something its not? If you ask me a DNA is stupidly ugly.
    2006 Aprilia SX 50
    Full Arrow Exhaust
    K&N Racing Filter
    Bridgestone Road Tyres
    One Industries Gold Bars and Pads
    KTM Hand Guards
    48 Tooth Rear Sprocket
    Heavy Duty Chain
    106kmh on flat (65mph)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    how about the suzuki Burgam 400 - it is a scooter and has enough legroom to move your feet any way and the feeling is no longer like "sitting in an office chair" I have bot Burgman400 and Scarbeo200. Lovely likes the Scarabeo, i like the Burgman just because I have enough legroom.....
    2014 Piaggio Fly140 - around the town scooter
    2008 Honda ST1300 ABS - main bike for commute and touring

Past bikes : 2005 Honda Shadow VLX2009, 2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650, 2007 Suzuki GZ250, 2008 HondaVFR800 ABS
    Past scooters: 2009 Scarabeo 200, 2008 Burgman 400 (2), 2008 Burgamn 400(1), 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2006 Burgman 400

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPetrov View Post
    I agree and think that an SR 50 is the best one to get. I know its still a step through but it still looks better than any other moped.
    And plus, wouldnt you rather live with the fact that your bike isnt trying to be something its not? .
    In euro the sr 50 is a moped - only allowed the drive 45 kmh. only usable for very short trips

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPetrov View Post
    IIf you ask me a DNA is stupidly ugly.
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by skooter View Post
    I've heard scooters referred to as looking like you are sitting on the toilet.

Yeah....except you can't read your magazines while you're riding

apriliaforum prov-nov DannyPetrov's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Xanthos;2155811]In euro the sr 50 is a moped - only allowed the drive 45 kmh. only usable for very short trips

Yeah but you can get a 125 version and even the euro 50 ones can be derestricted quite easily. My friend has one which will do about 55 which is ok for a couple of miles. Nothing for motorways though
    2006 Aprilia SX 50
    Full Arrow Exhaust
    K&N Racing Filter
    Bridgestone Road Tyres
    One Industries Gold Bars and Pads
    KTM Hand Guards
    48 Tooth Rear Sprocket
    Heavy Duty Chain
    106kmh on flat (65mph)

400 Burgman is too slow for a maxi scoot, and the 650 Burgman too heavy and thirsty.

Scarabeo 500 or Atlantic 500, or the T-max are good choices if you want a maxi-scooter. T-max is probably the best. The 650 Burgman and T-max are not 'true' scooters as the engine is fixed rather than being a part of the swinging arm. That makes for better handling and suspension.

Aprilia Mana is a motorcycle with CVT transmission if all you want is to avoid learning how to use a manual clutch - which is much better for control, btw, as the centrifugal clutch makes maxi scooters unpleasant under some conditions - and there is a smallish Gilera scoot (engine and tranny forms the swinging arm) that's styled like a motorcycle with a conventionally positioned tank.

Lots of things to look at and choose from.

Most 50cc 'peds can do around 50 mph if they're derestricted. If you can't do it yourself, your dealer will know how to. In many countries they're not allowed to use freeways or motorways.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by williamr View Post

Most 50cc 'peds can do around 50 mph if they're restricted. If you can't do it yourself, your dealer will know how to. In many countries they're not allowed to use freeways or motorways.

Rob
    In Denmark (and all other nordic countries) is very dangerous to ride on a de-restricted 50cc - if the police catch you, they will take your driver license if the 50cc goes more than 70 % over allowed max speed for the vehicle

eg - a 50cc allowed to run 45 kmh max, cached by 80 kmh - the police will take your driver licence.

On the other hand you can drive a mc on a 130 kmh road, and ride 69% over allowed speed, without loosing your licence
    Last edited by Xanthos; 04-25-2009 at 05:31 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Everyone's forgetting the Tomos Streetmate, which is a super-cute 50cc moped styled like a classic street motorcycle.

Was very tempted one year, but tried a Tomos Revival and found it small for me and a fair bit of vibration. Notg sure if the Streetmate would have had the same problems. Seemed a little bigger, actually. But I'm sure you'd get tired of the small engine really quickly.

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/tomos/...0-%20Tomos.jpg

Xanthos -

You can have your derestricted moped re-registered as a motorcycle and ride it perfectly legally as long you have the correct licence and your insurer has been told that it's derestricted.

It's only when you derestrict it but keep it registered as a moped (which is what most people actually do) that you have problems.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by williamr View Post
    Xanthos -

You can have your derestricted moped re-registered as a motorcycle and ride it perfectly legally as long you have the correct licence and your insurer has been told that it's derestricted.

It's only when you derestrict it but keep it registered as a moped (which is what most people actually do) that you have problems.
    Rob
    exactly - the police do campaigns all the time to catch those de-restricted mopeds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12