Thread: why does my bike keep blowing CDI's?

apriliaforum expert bourney2007's Avatar

why does my bike keep blowing CDI's?

probably one for williamr lol

Well the CDI that came with my bike blew a few weeks ago, thought it was just unlucky, so i bought another, 55!!

Anyway, 2 days ago that blew aswell. That definitly can't be down to being unlucky, lol.

So i'm basically thinking of replacing all main electricals components. Bought a regulator/rectifier (it is in one unit williamr, i remember you telling me it was 2 seperate units). Now going to buy a stator and stator plate. Seen one on ebay which comes with a flywheel aswell, he wants 35 + 9 postage. Dosn't sound too bad but he says he's willing to sell the stator and stator plate seperate for 30 posted. So do i need the flywheel?
    When the crank snapped the flywheel obviosly spun around freely inside the generator cover. Hitting the stator. The stator ripped a fair few chunks off the lining inside the flywheel. I just rubbed it smooth. Now have ai done wrong there? would it cause the CDI to blow in any way? do i need a new flywheel?

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom.C View Post
    My Sister's boyfriend is riding it at the moment, his 2 years of restriction is up so it's running 100 brake at the moment.

hahahahaha dom you fucking legend.

If you don't get it, read it whilst thinking of nothing but sex

apriliaforum Junkie
    I also am having the same problem with my bike. Has gone through 2 CDI's in 3 weeks. I got told it could be a problem with the generator.

u dont really have much luck do u lol ;p

---------------------------------------------------

De-Restricted
    Yellow Rim Tape
    Write off

The 'lining' inside the flywheel contains the magnets that energise the stator. If bits of it are missing you're probably producing uneven surges and eddy currents in the stator. I suppose that could blow the cdi. It needs fixing anyway. If nothing else your flywheel will be out of balance with bits missing.

I can't be sure of every model of the RS, but all the wiring diagrams I have show a seperate regulator feeding ac to the headlights, and to a bridge rectifier which converts some of that ac to dc for the battery.

Rob

I had the exact same issue with an ATV I used to own. What happened on mine was the crank had ~1/16" of sideways movement. The inside face of the flywheel was hitting the stator coil. This was shorting the stator coil and causing all sorts of nasty spikes in electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by banzairx7 View Post
    I had the exact same issue with an ATV I used to own. What happened on mine was the crank had ~1/16" of sideways movement. The inside face of the flywheel was hitting the stator coil. This was shorting the stator coil and causing all sorts of nasty spikes in electrical system.

shit! hope it's not that.

rob i did smooth the lining so it looked equal all the way around. Think i may replace it but how can i be sure that if i buy another flywheel it isn't just as bad as the one i have. To be honest i don't want to buy any new stuff, i've got 7 weeks left on this heap of shit, don't want to pour more money into it than i really have to.
    I think i may get the flywheel with it aswell.

Sam let me know if you find the problem please mate.

Really stuck for what to do. Ideally i'd just want a new stator/stator plate, flywheel, CDI and regulator/rectifier. Would cost waaaayy too much though.
    So second hand seems to be my only option. But to i gamble another CDI on the fact that the second hand stuff won't also knacker the CDI.

My Sister's boyfriend is riding it at the moment, his 2 years of restriction is up so it's running 100 brake at the moment.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I will let you know, I am going to see if the cdi breaks again in the next 2 weeks, if it does, my Dad will have a look at it.

Your best option would be to go to a bike breakers to see if they have a CDI, I have just bought 2 from one, one as a replacement for the one that has just gone and the other for a backup lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sam93 View Post
    I will let you know, I am going to see if the cdi breaks again in the next 2 weeks, if it does, my Dad will have a look at it.

Your best option would be to go to a bike breakers to see if they have a CDI, I have just bought 2 from one, one as a replacement for the one that has just gone and the other for a backup lol.

fingers crossed i should be getting the CDI i have now replaced under warrenty. I only bought it 1 week ago.

apriliaforum expert Aprilia af1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by williamr View Post
    The 'lining' inside the flywheel contains the magnets that energise the stator. If bits of it are missing you're probably producing uneven surges and eddy currents in the stator. I suppose that could blow the cdi. It needs fixing anyway. If nothing else your flywheel will be out of balance with bits missing.

I can't be sure of every model of the RS, but all the wiring diagrams I have show a seperate regulator feeding ac to the headlights, and to a bridge rectifier which converts some of that ac to dc for the battery.

Rob

Rob, wouldn't you get eddy currents in the stator anyway, because the magnet is producing an induced current, and so eddy currents are created from doing this?
    Aprilia af1 50 replica 1992
    rv6 engine, polini 47mm 70cc top end
    19mm carb, doppler er1 exhaust, derbi gpr50 cdi unit.
    malossi reed block standard reeds. 13/40 sprockets
    75mph at 11,500rpm clocked by a landrover freelander(probably more like 70mph).

Other Bike: Aprilia af1 125 replica de-restricted from factory. SOLD

Yeah - of course you gett eddy currents, but theyre controlled. Lose bits of the magnets and you start getting all sorts of odd effects.

Bourney - given your history with this bike, I'd get a CDI to get it running, then as you live in Stoke where there's a good buse service, and as you've only seven weeks to go, Id leave the bike unused so that you don't wreck anything else until you can get rid of it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by williamr View Post
    Yeah - of course you gett eddy currents, but theyre controlled. Lose bits of the magnets and you start getting all sorts of odd effects.

Bourney - given your history with this bike, I'd get a CDI to get it running, then as you live in Stoke where there's a good buse service, and as you've only seven weeks to go, Id leave the bike unused so that you don't wreck anything else until you can get rid of it.

Rob

I think you might be right mate. The only problem is the bus service dosn't run close to where i work.

I'd really like to get it sorted though. I'd hate to pass it on to someone knowing that that CDI will blow within a week or two of them owning it.
    I wouldn't like it, so...... think i will get it sorted properly.