Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KTM 690 SM v. Dorsoduro 750

apriliaforum prov-nov DubbleRNR's Avatar

KTM 690 SM v. Dorsoduro 750

I'm intersted in both of these bikes and was wondering if anyone has ridden both? If so, how about a comparison?

Thanks...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i test rode the 690 about 6 months ago, when i had a ccm 604, i was very impressed at the time with the bike as it had plenty of poke and delivered it very smoothly not like a single, very similar to how the dorso pumps out the power, however i just couldn't convince myself to but the 690 because of the the looks, the pipes, the beek front didn't work so i 3 months later i bought the dorso and its great. go with what ever you prefer the 690 is a good bike with high spec but the dorso looks miles better and has high spec for little more then the prestige 690

very different

I"m assuming the 690SM has more in common with something like the Husqvarna SM610. So i'll answer as if the 690 and the 610 are similar (maybe someone else can provide a real comparison to bridge the gap).

I just sold my SM610 and bought a Dorsoduro. Completely different bikes. The Dorso is not really a supermotard, brakes not nearly as good, very different engine response, much much stiffer suspension, forget about riding it off road. Riding position is perhaps similar but that is it.

For commuting through traffic I prefered my Husky, it was raw, loud, I could spin it up in the wet at slow speed and not care about dropping it, I could wheelie of curbs at slow speed (because of the gearing), kids would cry when I revved the engine close to them. It was a snarling beast of a bike.

The dorso is much much more refined (although I believe the 690 is a lot smoother than the old 660 LCD engines and probably the Husky), the engine is beautifully smooth and revs to 11k (husky limited at 8100) you can cruise at 170km/h (husky top speed and above 140km/h it was uncomfortable), the seat is wider it is just a much more useable all round bike.

With a dorso you could easily make this your only bike for fun in super twisties and be able to keep up with your sportsbike riding friends on any roads except highways in countries where you can ride >200km/h. Forget about that on a real super moto.
    '06 RSVR
    Leo Vince High Mounts
    R&G protectors

I had a first gen FZ1 and loved it. I mostly rode long day trips (a few hundred miles). The FZ1 was a great all around bike. It did nothing spectacular but many things good. I sold it because I wasn't riding in the street as much. I bought a DRZ SM and loved it in the twisties and commuting to work (@ 10 miles, mostly urban). However, it was horrible on the highway, so much so that I dreaded to ride it anything longer than a half hour. So, I sold it and bought another FZ1, gen 2. I love it but I miss the light nimble feel of the SM.

My riding mostly consists of commuting (@ 10 miles, mostly urban) and riding the twisties. Every once in a while I need to do about an hour of highway riding. This is where the problem lies. I'm thinking about another SM but I want to be able to ride on the highway without feeling dread.

Based on the above I came up with the KTM and Aprilia. I'm also thinking Tuono. I'm so confused ;-) Too bad I can't have one of each.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I Bought a new 690 smc in may 2008 and cannot knock the bike for handling but any bike geared for only 105mph becomes a pain on straght roads. I sold the ktm and bought a dorsoduro. Excellent switch in my humble opinion, much more relaxed ride and seat is more comfy, it is smoother and has a decent top speed. Also for your money at 300 more new the Dorso is a much more for your money package. I think it looks much better too

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    You don't have to have the beak!

I bought the 690 Duke III. Beautiful bike.
    The Dorsoduro/Shiver is more of a long legged bike.
    But for urban warfare hooliganism the 690 would probably out squirt the 750 V-twin (Dukes/SMC are under 330 lbs).
    I did not test the Shiver as is is too close to the Tuono I own.

If you want to get some ROAD TRIPS in, go Tuono, you wont be disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by patkin View Post
    I Bought a new 690 smc in may 2008 and cannot knock the bike for handling but any bike geared for only 105mph becomes a pain on straght roads. I sold the ktm and bought a dorsoduro. Excellent switch in my humble opinion, much more relaxed ride and seat is more comfy, it is smoother and has a decent top speed. Also for your money at 300 more new the Dorso is a much more for your money package. I think it looks much better too
    How is the handling compared to the 690? Does it feel like a heavy street bike?

Your Dorsoduro revs to 11000 Seoul?
    Does that mean the Dorsoduro has a higher rev limit than the Shiver which only goes to 10?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    J. Krishnamurti
    Zeitgeist

Never confuse who you are with what you do.
    Makka

apriliaforum expert octavio3311's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbleRNR View Post
    How is the handling compared to the 690? Does it feel like a heavy street bike?
    I've had a KTM LC4 and a KTM SMC and I currently have a Husqvarna SMR as well as a Shiver. The supermoto's are great bikes - lot's & lots of fun. Light weight, great power, incredible brakes and handling. And they are capable of bringing the hooligan out of everyone - Sister Mary included. Everyone should try their hand at a single cylinder SM. BUT - this all comes at a sacrifice. Fuel range isn't great - my Husky runs dry after 75 miles. Seat comfort is the equivalent of straddling a 2x4. Lighting is minimal, at best. Oil change intervals are frequent. And they do not like to cruise for extended period of times on th highway. Jumping on the highway for a few miles to connect backroads, no problem. But commuting 45 minutes to work - NOPE!

Supermoto's are great 2nd bikes - but if you can only have 1 - a true single cylinder SM is a very tough sell. I use my Husky for backroad canyon carving and the Shiver for longer distance commuting or some higher speed runs. The Dorso will run like the Shiver but offer that more aggressive SM look that you're probably after.

Good luck!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    the new ktm powerplant is good single with an excellent balance shaft (doesn't feel like a single) and pumps out approx 65hp for a bike that weighs around 300lbs, the dorso has 92hp at over 400lbs. don't know the servicing details for ktm but dorso needs a full inspection at 600 miles and thats it for another 5k approx. My last single needed oil changes every 1k and wore out chains & sprockets every 2K

Thats comparing apples to oranges...dorsoduro vs duke 3 is a better comparo.
    Supermoto Central - 100% Supermoto

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Your Dorsoduro revs to 11000 Seoul?
    Does that mean the Dorsoduro has a higher rev limit than the Shiver which only goes to 10?
    my dorso will only rev to 10k, the spec says 11k but not a chance on mine

apriliaforum newb
    I had a ride on a KTM Duke III the other day, It feels really light and good fun, but once i got back on my Shiver It was good to be back,

I wonder what spec says 11k?
    It has to be a mistake as it is the same engine as the Shiver which definitely only goes to 10.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    J. Krishnamurti
    Zeitgeist

Never confuse who you are with what you do.
    Makka

apriliaforum Junkie
    The gearing on the Dorso is not as tall as the Shiver, so that might account for the extra 1k rpm's of pull?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast