Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Definitive "What Shock Fits" Thread for Falcos

apriliaforum Junkie
    Hi SD,

I replaced my Sachs blue spring shock with a 2003 RSV Ohlins and 2003 dogbones and triangles. I'm only using 3mm of the (I believe) 6mm ride height adjustment available to me and I can confirm it's definitely jacked up at the rear. I never tried it on standard settings, but the angle the bike tips over on the side stand tells me I've substantially increased the ride height.

I've even dropped the forks through the yokes by two notches and it's STILL further over than standard...

One thing I did notice was that with the Ohlins shock I have (with the hydraulic preload adjuster) the spring is automatically preloaded by 15mm+. Standard spring length is 150mm, mine measures 134.5mm with the preload adjuster backed off completely. If your shock doesn't have the HPA then you will have the full adjustment available, of course.

I weigh around 11 stone (154 lb) dripping wet and I found that I was getting kicked out of the saddle a couple of times during a 2-3 hour ride. Even with a passenger it still felt 'taut'. I guess the preload may have had something to do with this.

Having said that, it still felt a whole world better than when I had the Sachs fitted. I was running in a pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts and got the rear to the edge of the tyre within 50 miles. This is testament to both the tyres and the shock, I think. And in case you're wondering, it steers like a dream; almost by power of thought.

Enjoy.

Thanks, MC.

My concern is that right now I have a Penske installed that is maxxed out, lengthwise. It's even longer than stock because when I had it rebuilt not long ago at Penske the tech offered to remove the droop spacer to give me an extra .25 inch. So the rear is definitely up there and the handling is great. (Forks have 5 or 6 spaces showing.)

I guess I could install the Ohlins with and without the RSV parts and see what happens ... or just go to a slightly heavier spring and continue to use the Falco linkage.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Looking at Masta-C's post at the top of this thread, the standard Falco spring is 800lbs, whereas the RSV Ohlins is 540lbs. That's a big difference. Personally I'd whack the Ohlins up to max ride height and use it with the RSV linkages. I'm guessing the standard Ohlins spring rate would be pretty much spot-on for your weight. You will probably need to play with preload to dial it in perfectly, but that's to be expected I guess.

I think you and the Ohlins should get along just fine...

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Öhlins 95 with RSV dogbone comes up higher than Stock - even on the lowest setting (at least with a Mille swingarm).

Which is a bummer for me, as I'm only 1,65m and can't reach down with both feets... To the point that I have used my small Belgarda 660cc bike much more this season than the Falco...

Quote Originally Posted by crmc33 View Post
    I used the 04 RSV Nera Ohlins shock + 04 traingles + 02/03 dogbone -- gives a firm sporty ride - very good for track work
    I've picked up a shock on ebay that was advertised as an '01 but really is an '07 according to the wreckers.

So I guess I'm going to give it a try based on crmc's comment and see how it plays. I'm sure not going to swap out swingarms, screw around with batteries, etc. etc.

Maybe I should just resell the thing, though ... I'm looking for plush, not a bed of nails.

Micah, had penske build me a shock for me and the gf's weight of 335 before gear. It bolted right in and wow does it ride great. Plush ride until you start pushing, then rock solid. Takes the edge off the sharp bumps and is very nice to ride even when I am solo (220 lbs). It was under $900, brand new, set up exactly for us, required no fiddling to make it work and works better than a maxed out RSV shock I think. Seems so many people on here spend almost as much as that buying the parts to make an older shock "work".
    We enter this life with a pot empty of experiences and full of luck..

My goal is to overflow the pot with experiences before it's empty of luck....

http://www.myspace.com/froggietravelstheworld

00 RSVR- my favorite bike....ever.
    01 Falco- specifically set up for 2-up riding with Ohlins front and special built Penske rear.

Quote Originally Posted by crmc33 View Post
    I used the 04 RSV Nera Ohlins shock + 04 traingles + 02/03 dogbone ... gives a firm sporty ride - very good for track work

Hey crmc, what did you do as far as the mounting spacers at each end of the shock ... Were you able to get them out and swap them end for end?

Got any tricks for their removal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I can't get my head around why the newer shock wouldn't work just fine (given correct springage and valving) if it's the same eye-to-eye length as the Falco/early Mille shock. The notion that the >'04 RSV swing arm has "different geometry" isn't playing for me. A few have used that part on the Falco with no ill effects other than needing to relocate the battery as far as I recall.

I guess I'm missing something ... what is it?

apriliaforum expert
    OK, I might be being lazy, but I read the entire thread and I didn't see any mention of a shock with remote pre-load adjusters. Can anyone tell me the number of the shock that I would use (Ohlins or Penske) to have remote pre-load adjustability? I have the RSV swinger, shock, and triangle (pre-04).
    Dr Duc

'06 Ducati PS 1078 LE (Too many mods to list)
    '01 Aprilia SL 1000 (RSV Swingarm, RSV steering damper, Tigcraft 80mm exhaust)
    '04 KTM 200 EXC (for sale)
    '03 Yamaha TT-R125E (with a bunch of BBR mods)
    '98 Yamaha YZ4OOF (seized crank, needs fixin')

For Ohlins if you have an RSV swinger but with OEM Falco linkages then the shock you need is an AP840 (46PRCLS).

If you have the above but with RSV 01-03 linkages then the shock you want from Ohlins is the AP841 (46PRCLS)

You can get the AP840 turned into an AP841. The differences are the stroke length by 9mm, the valving and spring. The actual shock lengths are the same eye to eye. (this is what I'm doing as the Falco linkages didn't fit into the RSV with the Akro SBK 2-2 system on the bike, and as such the shock wouldn't fit, so the options were to sell my existing AP840, thern buy a $2K shock here in Oz, or get it rebuilt for $580. I did the latter, and it should be back early this week for fitment into the RSV.

I will have an RSV 03 Racetech valved shock with linkages and dogbone for sale within the next 2 weeks, if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Exdukenut; 07-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDuc View Post
    OK, I might be being lazy, but I read the entire thread and I didn't see any mention of a shock with remote pre-load adjusters. Can anyone tell me the number of the shock that I would use (Ohlins or Penske) to have remote pre-load adjustability? I have the RSV swinger, shock, and triangle (pre-04).
    The only way you find an Ohlins with Remote hydraulic preload adjuster is if you manage to get hold of an aftermarket secondhand (or new, if you're rich) shock. As Exdukenut says, the Ohlins code for that is 46PRCLS (although Ohlins now confusingly refer to that as S46PR1C1LS). Breakdown of the code is:

S - Shock (d'oh)
    46 - Piston diameter in mm
    P - Gas pressurized type of shock absorber with external piggy back reservoir
    C1 - The compression damping adjuster is located at the reservoir.
    L - With these two nuts you can adjust the length of the shock absorber (i.e. ride-height adjustment)
    R1 - Rebound damping is set with the knob, which has a normal right hand thread. By turning it clockwise the damping action is increased, and by turning it counter clockwise it is reduced. The knob has definite positions with noticeable "clicks".
    S - Hose mounted (remote) hydraulic spring preload adjuster. With this device you can change the preload for the spring.

I'm not fluent with Ohlins' codes but I did call them to ask if a shock can be retrofitted with the remote preload adjuster, and they said it can if there is (IIRC) 39mm of threads available above the top of the spring so it takes a shock with a long barrel/body/whatever it's called.

to Biaggi at Brno!!

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have an Ohlins AP841 with the remote preload adjuster fitted, and you can just fit the adjuster and a 6" (152.4mm) spring on it with the adjuster at its highest position on the shock body. The spring is automatically preloaded by about 10-12mm, so it's not possible to assemble the shock by hand; you'll need to take it to someone who has a shock/spring compressor.

From memory the standard Ohlins spring is slightly shorter (147mm if memory serves correctly).

I'm running the AP841 shock with an 800lb spring (same as Faco Sachs blue spring) and Falco triangles/dogbones and the static sag varies between 18mm (Minimum adjuster position) and 5mm (maximum adjuster position), so there should be something for everyone in that range. I weigh about 150-160 pounds, btw.

apriliaforum expert
    Thank you for all the wonderful feedback on how to get the remote preload adjuster for an Ohlins that will fit my Falco. You guys have a wealth of information and experience that is priceless. Thank you for sharing it.
    Dr Duc

'06 Ducati PS 1078 LE (Too many mods to list)
    '01 Aprilia SL 1000 (RSV Swingarm, RSV steering damper, Tigcraft 80mm exhaust)
    '04 KTM 200 EXC (for sale)
    '03 Yamaha TT-R125E (with a bunch of BBR mods)
    '98 Yamaha YZ4OOF (seized crank, needs fixin')

apriliaforum newb
    Hi

Does anyone know what the part number on the spring of an Ohlins rear shock indicates, I assume it somehow relates to spring force and or length?

Numbers I have seen on RSV Ohlins shocks are:

01091-31/95 L453

1091-31/95 011

1091-24/80 L456

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sport53 View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know what the part number on the spring of an Ohlins rear shock indicates, I assume it somehow relates to spring force and or length?

Numbers I have seen on RSV Ohlins shocks are:

01091-31/95 L453

1091-31/95 011

1091-24/80 L456

Thanks

Most Ohlins part numbers detail the springs' specs. For the ones you mentioned...

"1091" series = 160mm (6.3") in length

"-31" = 9.69 kg/mm (542 lbs.)

"-24" = 8.16 kg/mm (457 lbs.)

The "/95" and "/80" markings are the N/mm ratings...95 N/mm and 80 N/mm respectively.

~ Masta' C ~

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast