Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Definitive "What Shock Fits" Thread for Falcos

The Definitive "What Shock Fits" Thread for Falcos

I created the above chart with all of the part numbers for shocks, triangle linkage plates and dogbones for 99+ Aprilias that I could find from the original Aprilia microfiche diagrams. I have color-coded the part numbers, so you can see which ones match up on different models. Feel free to PM me with your email address for a larger and more legible version of this chart.

Now, the question constantly being asked by riders and new owners is "which shock fits the Falco?". Well, here are the answers, all summed up in detail and in one straightforward reference:

1998-2005 SL FALCO:

Low-performance economy Sachs unit with very limited adjustment (preload only). This unit is NOT rebuildable. Also, internal valving is not ideal for swapping springs and performance is difficult to dial in for any rider type. Replacement, rather than repair, is highly recommended.

Stock spring rate Sachs = ~ 800 lbs./in. or 14.3 kg/mm

Compatible rider weight on stock Sachs spring: ~165 lbs.

Recommended spring rate for ~240 lb. rider: 950 lbs./in. or 17 kg/mm.

1998-2000 RSV MILLE:

Any 1998 to early 2000 Sachs shock (black body/white spring) from an RSV will fit using the stock Falco linkage plates and dogbones. Features Ride-Height, preload, compression and rebound adjustment. Rebound is adjusted via small screw on side of shock body. Some riders find they have to shave/trim the schrader valve on the extended nitrogen canister to get the shock past the Falco subframe, but this is easy to do and many have found that the shock simply slips right in without the need for modification. Traxxion Dynamics can service, revalve and rebuild the Sachs shock with great results.

Stock spring rate Sachs = ~820 lbs./in. or 14.5 kg/mm.

Compatible rider weight on stock Sachs spring: ~175 lbs.

Recommended spring rate for ~240 lb. rider: 950 lbs./in. or 17 kg/mm.

2001-2003 RSV MILLE:

Any 2000.5 to 2003 RSV Sachs shock (gold & silver body/yellow spring) or Ohlins will fit, but you must use the matching triangle linkage plates and dogbone from a 2001 to 2003 model RSV, as well. 2003 models have a different part number for the triangle plates, but the difference is negligible. The shorter nitrogen canister on the 2001-2003 Sachs shock means no modification is needed to fit this shock behind the Falco subframe. These shocks also feature ride-height, preload, compression and rebound adjustments. Rebound was changed to a small click-dial on the bottom of the Sachs shock and can be adjusted by hand. Both the Ohlins and Sachs shocks use a significantly lighter spring rate than the 1998-2000 versions due to very different linkage ratios. Traxxion Dynamics can service, revalve and rebuild the Sachs shock with great results.

Stock spring rate Sachs = ~525 lbs./in. or 9.5 kg/mm.

Stock spring rate Ohlins = ~542 lbs./in. or 9.7 kg/mm.

Compatible rider weight on stock Sachs spring: ~160 lbs.

Compatible rider weight on stock Ohlins spring: ~175 lbs.

Recommended spring rate for ~240 lb. rider: 600 lbs./in. or 10.7 kg/mm

2002-2005 TUONO:

Same shocks, linkage and dogbones as found on the 2001-2003 RSV models. Again, you must have the appropriate linkage to make a 2002-2005 Tuono shock work properly on the Falco. Traxxion Dynamics can service, revalve and rebuild the Sachs shock with great results.

Stock spring rate Sachs = ~525 lbs./in. or 9.5 kg/mm.

Stock spring rate Ohlins = ~542 lbs./in. or 9.7 kg/mm.

Compatible rider weight on stock Sachs spring: ~160 lbs.

Compatible rider weight on stock Ohlins spring: ~175 lbs.

Recommended spring rate for ~240 lb. rider: 600 lbs./in. or 10.7 kg/mm

NOTES:

2004-up RSV and 2006-up Tuono model shocks are NOT compatible with the Falco.

Ohlins-equipped bikes (early "R" & "Factory" models) feature the same linkage plates and dogbones as found on the standard Sachs-equipped bikes for the 1998-2003 RSV and 2002-2005 Tuono model years. Stock spring rates between the Ohlins and Sachs bikes are nearly identical for any given year, as well.

Most standard Sachs/Ohlins springs feature a 57mm/2.25" I.D. and 160-170mm/6"-6.5" length. Many 60mm I.D. springs can be made to work on most shocks with careful alignment. Shorter 150mm length springs, such as Ohlins 1093 series, can be used on most shocks, but preload spacers may be required.

Replacement springs are abundant. Many automobile "coil-over" replacement springs will fit. Some recommended brands are: Ohlins, Eibach and Hyperco. There are other good companies, such as H&R and RaceTech, but beware "budget" springs and "ebay specials"...manufacturing quality, long-term reliability and accuracy in spring rate reporting do matter.

1998-2003 RSV/2002-2005 Tuono Sachs shocks can be professionally re-sprung, re-valved and re-built for $300-$350 from good suspension companies, such as Traxxion Dynamics, and offer 85-90% of the performance of an aftermarket unit. Even for aggressive street riders, rebuilding a Sachs unit is often the best way to go when looking at performance vs. cost. For the most serious Canyon Carvers and Track Riders...or those with extra cash burning holes through their wallet...a good Penske, Ohlins, Hyperco, etc. simply can't be beat. Note, however, that...particularly when buying these units used...aftermarket units may require that they be rebuilt more often and may demand the same type of personalization and setup (revalving, spring rates, etc.) as rebuilding a Sachs unit, but at a higher financial cost.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Thanks for the effort MastaC, good work.

NICE!!! Sticky? Another one lol.

So then my 143Lb isnt far off right for the stock Falco shock. Got to say now I have it setup ok it doesnt feel too bad most of the time. Ill see how it all works once i got the RSV linkage and Penske shock in (when Penske UK sorts their life out).

Cheers.
    Last edited by ThEGr33k; 09-23-2008 at 05:32 PM.

This chart needs some compatible springs for manly man like yours truly at near 300 lbs...
    Where da booty at?

Excellent job!
    ------------------

2002 Semi-Naked Beauty

"...If people had more sex on motorcycles there wouldn't be any famine, or wars, or bombings....and stuff..."

Don't attack me if I am wrong, but the info I have compiled over the years basically states:

Falco and '98-'00 Mille Shocks are interchangable.

'01-03 Mille, '02-'05 Tuono: Mille Shocks will works perfectly fine with Traingles and Linkage off of a bike in the same year range. Changing the swinger is completely optional.

'04-'08 Mille, '06-'08 Tuono: Will fit but need swinger, linkage, and shock. Plus undertail needs mods to fit the swinger.
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

great info
    same sh..t diferent day

Please note that the shock off the 04> RSV will fit the Falco but you will need to use the 04> triangles.

Ive used this setup for the last 3 years witha RSV Nera Ohlins shock.

Passed this info onto BrummMax over on the 2oldo forum, see if it sorts his weaving bike out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lttlcheeze View Post
    Don't attack me if I am wrong, but the info I have compiled over the years basically states:

Falco and '98-'00 Mille Shocks are interchangable.

'01-03 Mille, '02-'05 Tuono: Mille Shocks will works perfectly fine with Traingles and Linkage off of a bike in the same year range. Changing the swinger is completely optional.

'04-'08 Mille, '06-'08 Tuono: Will fit but need swinger, linkage, and shock. Plus undertail needs mods to fit the swinger.
    Yep - that's how I understand it too.

Lttlcheeze and D-Rider:

I appreciate your input to this thread, but that information was not included in my original list because the expense and hassle involved in finding and fitting '06-'08 componentry to the Falco for little to no performance gain over the shock swaps previously mentioned makes the switch something most Falco owners would never even consider.

The only reason to switch to the '06-'08 setup would be for personal aesthetics (or to attempt to gain minimal bragging rights over the many Falco owners who would rather be out riding than sitting around to compare who had to do the most hacking and modding to get their swingarm to fit!).

To other Falco owners: If you are contemplating an '06-'08 setup for reasons other than aesthetics...there are far better options available for the money which offer superior performance, including Ohlins and Penske aftermarket shocks, which are world-class components and typically drop-in without unnecessary physical modifications to your bike!

Sure, the stock swingarm isn't an asymmetrical, highly reinforced hunk of weighty overkill, but the Falco suspension (aside from the stock shock) is near-perfect in design and, with the right setup for your weight and riding style, will dish out all the performance and stability 99% of us could ever use!

Good info indeed. I've changed my stock shock for a '99 mille shock. I had to cut 1 or 2 mm for the shrader valve before I was able to mount it.
    Last edited by vonDutch; 10-19-2008 at 03:52 AM.

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Here is some copied random Info out of another shock / swingarm thread that might be helpful as well:

The first RSV Mille R with full Öhlins suspension was relased in 1999, a year after the European 1998 RSV base with white Sachs shock.

Hence, they exist - Öhlins shocks with 140Nm springs are designed to work with Falco linkages.

The same is true for the RSV-Mille SP. But these things are extremely rare, they also had adjustable swingarm pivot point geometry, adjustablke engine mounts and hand made single-sparkplug milled cylinder heads (early RSV-SP was a limited run of 150 only - sold for the equivalent of €30.000.- back in 1999, i.e. almost triple price than a base Mille!). I bet that the Öhlins on those wasn't run of the Mill OEM - you got the real race stuff on the SP.

To make matters more confusing:

The USA only got RSV's in a moel year later i.e. model 2000 EU is model year 2000.5 in the US.

Those 1998-Y2k (2000.5) white Sachs shocks, and higher Nm springs Öhlins in the RSV-R can also be used with Falco linkages. The later Öhlins, AP8240 - years RSV-R 2001-2003, have 95Nm springs (rating: 1091-31/95), and are best mounted with the appropriate RSV linkage

And just to point to the huge difference between linkages and various years, you'll all like this picture:

And here Falco linkage (mounted to blue "Sucks" shock) versus RSV-R Mille 2002 linkage below - quite a bit of difference in geometry!:

Don't ask me how long the Falco dog bone is... It's now stacked away somewhere in my storage. I'll get to it one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by wmullen8888 View Post
    So, will my 2001 triangle and dogbone work with the Mille swinging arm and RSV1000 Ohlins shock? -- Or is it better to use the Mille parts?

Sorry for all the questions. Fairly confident when it comes to part-swapping on my GS1000 but the Aprilia stuff is fairly new to me.
    What year RSV1000 Öhlins shock? To me, "RSV1000" sounds like the new model 2004 and later... The RSV1000R Factory.

- RSV-R 1999-2000: fine - just swap the shock in
    - RSV-R 2001-2003: use linkage of 01-03 year Mille, or Tuono 2001-2005
    - RSV1000R Factory 2004 - YTD: ouch - that is a totally different frame & spring / damper / linkage / swingarm combo. Wouldn't reccomend it, although it's certainly feasable.

To the swingarm:

All RSV or RSV-R "round" swingarms from 1998-2003 are a straight fit. Also, Tuono MkI 2001-2005 - same one.

RSV1000R from 2004 onwards, or Tuono 2006 and later (angled swinger): Problems - no straight fit, the Falco battery box is in the way. It has been done (by Hansie in the Netherlands, and a few others), but some creative fiddling, sawing or a whole lot of extra ride height needed.

Why I wouldn't do it: There was a recall on early 2004 RSV1000R swingarms, hundreds of them have been replaced (some of them snapped). DO NOT fit one of those '04 recall leftover swingarms, often grabbed out of Aprilia dealer trash cans! There was a security issue reason why they swapped them in a Worldwide recall. And you can bet that lot's of them popped up on ebay later...

Another reason to stay with Mille / Tuono Mk1 parts: Some triangles of RSV1000 MkII linkages have been known to have snapped and caused severe crashes, since they just aren't as tough as the earlier versions.

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Summary:

Quote Originally Posted by Exdukenut View Post
    Any Aprilia Ohlins shock with a 140, 150 or 160 in the part number of the spring will bolt straight up into the Falco and it's OEM linkages. Any Aprilia Ohlins shock with 95 in the part number on the spring requires the later linkages to suit from the appropriate Mille/Tuono.

apriliaforum prov-nov Vinnie falco's Avatar
    Great topic guys i have just checked it because i can buy a 2002 sachs shock with linkplates for about €70,- .So i think i will buy it and throw away the white 1999 mille shock that needs servicing because it is more like a bicycle pump right now.

Vincent

Too late it was already sold.... the search continues
    Last edited by Vinnie falco; 12-22-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast