Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to check if spark plug is recieving current???

apriliaforum Junkie atomicjoe23's Avatar

Best way to check if spark plug is recieving current???

What's the best way to check and see if my spark plug is recieving current (i.e. producing spark)???

I didn't see a method in the service manual. . .

Little history. . .bought the bike as a box of parts. . .have completely reassembled it and am having trouble getting it to start. . .electrical system is connected correctly. . .all signals, lights, horn, and starter work. . .engine turns over it just hasn't fired yet. . .

My pre-mix might be a little heavy (no oil injection) at 28:1 but I was trying to stay on the safe side of things until I got it running. . .gonna dilute down to 32:1 and try some more. . .

Been told to try and bump start the thing but I can't do that until my clutch cable anchor comes in the mail so I'm just trying to double check anyother causes that I can while I wait on the parts that haven't come in yet.

Thanks!!!
    '01 Aprilia RS50 black/red/yellow: Athena 70cc big bore kit, Doppler Endurance crankshaft/H-beam con-rod, Leo Vinci titanium V6 exhaust system; Advanced Performance black exhaust slider; Dell'Orto 21mm carb w/E-Z Choke, Barnett HD clutch springs, 13T front steel sprocket/43T rear aluminum sprocket, D.I.D. 420 NZ chain, Zero Gravity light smoke windscreen.

'01 Yamaha YZF-R6-->track bike project in pieces
    '02 Yamaha YZF-R1-->daily driver

Take the spark plug out of the hole and put it in the spark plug cap, rest the plug on the head of the engine and crank it over with the electric start like your trying to start the engine, while doing this look at it to see if it sparks.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The way I check for spark is by taking out the plug and then recapping it... Then I just hold the tip maybe a cm or so from the fairing stay and hit the ignition and praying I see a spark.

Lack of a spark might be due to a faulty plug. Take off the HT lead and unscrew the cap. Hold the bare wire close to a metal earth, with a finger touching the wire. Turn over the motor.

Your language will give you a good idea of how good the supply to the plug is.

To check the plug, hold the metal part of the plug body against a metal earth and turn over the engine. You should see the spark.

Rob

Thanks guys. . .and deerio I don't think I'll be trying your method. . .electrical is my least favorite part to deal with and I've been shocked by an electric fence before as a kid (thanks to my younger sister!!!) and it wasn't fun. . .don't care to repeat that experience EVER again!!!
    '01 Aprilia RS50 black/red/yellow: Athena 70cc big bore kit, Doppler Endurance crankshaft/H-beam con-rod, Leo Vinci titanium V6 exhaust system; Advanced Performance black exhaust slider; Dell'Orto 21mm carb w/E-Z Choke, Barnett HD clutch springs, 13T front steel sprocket/43T rear aluminum sprocket, D.I.D. 420 NZ chain, Zero Gravity light smoke windscreen.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    HAHA by holding it I meant holding it by the plug cap and positioning the tip near metal... If you wanna be safe maybe wear some rubber gloves and hold it using some pliers or something? Hasn't shocked me once...

Sorry deerio. . .I meant that response for WilliamR not for you. . .wasn't paying attention to who was posting what. . .

A bit tongue in cheek, and I don't really recommend it, but in truth it doesn't really hurt - much. There's not enough current.

Rob

apriliaforum expert
    If you do try williamr's method, could you do it on live webcam for our entertainment please?

How easily visible is the spark when you do this. . .I don't see any spark when I try it. But I double checked the wiring and the wiring is correct into the ignition coil. . .I also checked the resisitance for those three wires (red, white, and green) and the resistance is spot on for what the manual has so the CDI/generator seems to be fine. . .leave me to think that the only thing that could be the problem now is the ignition coil/transducer (the red box) itself.

The service manual shows there is supposed to be a white/red wire leaving the box as well which connects to the starter switch, but mine only has the 3 wires going to the CDI/generator, a green wire that is grounded to the intake manifold, and a white/black wire coming out of the same place as the green ground. . .I hooked the white/black wire up to the white/red wire that goes to the ignition switch. . .

Also wondering about the voltage regulator. . .what order are the wires supposed to be in left to right (looking at it as you are sitting on the bike). . .I had yellow, blue, green, but the manual has yellow, green, blue so I switched that and still no spark. . .someone please verify for me?

Thanks???

apriliaforum expert
    Had my fairing off earlier today, perhaps someone has a manual and can confirm the wiring. Sparks though, it should be visible out of direct sunlight, and quite possibly audible too.

If that's the case then I'm definitely not getting any spark to the plug. . .gonna check the plug wire next. . .

OK. . .I removed the plug wire from the ignition coil and the plug cap from the wire. . .I clipped a little off of each end to get some nice fresh copper wire showing and I screwed it all back together. . .I also checked the screws in the plug cap and the ignition coil and both looked like new. . .no rust. . .

and still yet. . .no spark!!!

apriliaforum expert
    ignition coils dead.
    anyone near by u can borrow one from?

Maybe deerio. . .I don't know anyone that well, but I might see if he's willing to at least let me give it a try to see. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast