Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Version 1 Stator failed in the winds / wounds OR whatever its properly called NOT from the 3 black wires coming out.

I believe the 3 black wires are 18 gauge & Yellow depicted on the photo is 16
    2017 Husky FC350
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) Full Akra and Race ECU
    FOR SALE - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

Just recieved my Ricks version of the Aprilia staror. Looks well made and certainly worth $140. Makes you wonder whats behind the $700 price tag for the Aprilia stator! Anyway, here I go with the install, armed with several key postings from this thread.
    2004 Aprilia Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Makes you wonder whats behind the $700 price tag for the Aprilia stator! .
    Based on what I've read, the Original Aprilia Stator that costs $1000 comes with the replacement rotor.

INSTALLATION TIPS - Make sure that the stator is completely bottomed out and bolted all the way down in its HOME position. IF NOT, it could make contact with the rotor and will cause the new stator to die prematurely. (I read somewhere of this contact but I'm pretty sure its from a bad installation)

2017 Husky FC350
    FOR SALE - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

I wish I could post how my self installed stator was doing, but I'm fighting with the oil tank repositioning. The 10mm nylon nut (bottom foreward) does not want to come off and now its somewhat rounded off. I just love machanics!
    2004 Aprilia Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

apriliaforum Junkie cowboyporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfritz View Post
    the difference might be 16 (old) vs 18 (new) gage wire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reubens32 View Post
    Version 1 Stator failed in the winds / wounds OR whatever its properly called NOT from the 3 black wires coming out.

I believe the 3 black wires are 18 gauge & Yellow depicted on the photo is 16
    Yea the originals were 16g and Ricks were 18g. I just cut the tails (that I ordered) off a few inches past the rubber grommet, soldered some 12g wire (better heat displacement) and went straight to the rectifier. All is well. It would have been nice to have the larger wire coming immediately off the winding though. Next time.
    Red 04' RSVR (the fast one)
    Mods Thus far:

70mm Cored stock cans
    EVO Air Box kit
    MAP2 "locked and loaded"
    Power Commander W/Custom mapping
    Carbon Cannister Removed
    Down 1, Up 2, 15/42 Gearing
    Gutted Flapper (I was bored)
    Re-vented & cut filler cone on gas cap
    Ckruzel Decals +10hp
    Pirelli Corsa III's
    Auto-Com Super Pro AVI
    Bits-O-Carbon

Hi all

Got some bad news for you all went out for a ride yesterday arvo had a couple hours to kill and weather was nice... so I知 20min into the ride and my bike starts to back fire a little when de-accelerating I think to myself this isn't good so I head for home just in case, the back firing starts getting louder so I reach down and disconnect the head light's this helps a little but bike ends up stopping about 3km down the road lucky just near a servo i've got about an hour till dark "GREAT" I end up ringing my mate to come and pick me and the bike up with a trailer....

I haven't pull the bike down as yet but there's no doubting that the stator has burned out again exact some problem as last year... so this stator is under a year old and has 11411km on it since I put it in and it's the new up dated unit from ricks with the thicker wire used on it ? So where to from here ? I知 pretty sure they gave a year's warranty with the stator so I知 sure they will replace it but I知 sure as hell not going to be doing this every year I own the bike that's for sure...

I値l be pulling the bike apart tomorrow after work so I値l try and post up some pic's up of the burnt out stator then...

Marsie

To MARSIE - Sorry to hear M8 and it sounds you like you put in 7090 miles before it gave out.

Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep monitoring mine and keep everyone posted as well.

Ricks will definitely want to see the failed unit and hopefully they make it stronger for all of us.
    2017 Husky FC350

Hi all

I致e finely gotten around to pulling the stator out of the bike and I致e got some good news for you guys at lest... looking again at the stator it looks like they may have sent me the old unit with the thinner gauge wire on it as I got mine around the time when they first used the thicker wire I thought I had the new model but... oop's my boo boo.

But that mean's that none of the new thicker wire stators have failed yet which is good news ? So I値l get in contact with ricks and get them to replace mine with the thicker gauge wire stator and hopefully that will be the last time I will have to look at this thing

Sorry for the confusion marsie

Quote Originally Posted by marsie View Post
    Hi all

I致e finely gotten around to pulling the stator out of the bike and I致e got some good news for you guys at lest... looking again at the stator it looks like they may have sent me the old unit with the thinner gauge wire on it as I got mine around the time when they first used the thicker wire I thought I had the new model but... oop's my boo boo.

But that mean's that none of the new thicker wire stators have failed yet which is good news ? So I値l get in contact with ricks and get them to replace mine with the thicker gauge wire stator and hopefully that will be the last time I will have to look at this thing

Sorry for the confusion marsie
    Thanks for the clarification MARSIE! Yes you're right....there are no V2 stator reported failure yet (as of today Aug. 23, 2009)

Have a good day M8.
    2017 Husky FC350

rickys stator

So yesterday stator burn again. My fourth one. I would like to buy rickystator version 2 but do he send it oversees? (Belgium) Or did some bought already in Europe? I found a company in The UK www.electrexworld.co.uk, Do somebody
    now them? I suppose its is easier and cheaper to buy in the UK.
    bartho

Quote Originally Posted by bartho View Post
    I would like to buy rickystator version 2 but do he send it oversees? (Belgium)
    Yes and speak to Amanda as they know of a way to reduce the taxes and custom processes.

2017 Husky FC350

stator

Thanks I will send him a E-mail
    bartho

apriliaforum newb
    Bartho
    I have tried Electrex World.
    In total, I had 3 stators off them all of which failed.
    They replaced the first one free of charge but would only give me the second replacement at a reduced price. They insisted that their warranty only applies to the original supply.
    My current stator is one that was re-wound by Motorsport Aprilia in Wareham. It does appear to have thicker wires than the original or the Electrex world versions. It has been OK for 2000 miles so far.
    There is a company in Holland who re-winds these stators with thicker wires. I am pretty sure you should be able to find them with a Google search, but if you have trouble let me know and I will check my old e-mails for their address.

SydP

stators

Thanks SydP. My latest two stators came from Holland (company Sevior).
    So they burned. The first one after 20.000 Km the second after 8000 Km.
    But the good news is I just bought RSV4. Delivery time next Tuesday.
    They take over my RSVR for a good price and will repair him.
    So I hope no stator troubles anymore .
    bartho

Quote Originally Posted by bartho View Post
    But the good news is I just bought RSV4. Delivery time next Tuesday.
    Thats another way of solving this stator problem!

ALSO - 8000 Miles on the stator as of TODAY. Voltage #'s seems a tad lower (.2) at speed. Its still @ 14.1 volts but slightly lower.
    2017 Husky FC350

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast