Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Maybe I'll try the same.. did you phone or email Piaggio

Another one bites the dust...

I bought a 2007 Tuono with 12K miles on the odometer back in fall of 2011. The previous owner replaced the original stator with a Rick's unit. Last month, as the odometer turned 30K miles -- 30K trouble-free miles I might add -- the Tuono stopped charging. I did the ohms & voltage test from the stator wires; the latter pointed to a failed stator. I ordered another Rick's stator form AF1 and, just to be safe, a CompuFire R/R from Amazon.

When all the parts were in, I went to work. The stator looked like something you'd find sifting through the wreckage of an industrial fire. Complete toast. Although I bought a replacement gasket from AF1, the used gasket was in pretty good shape and I left it on. (Ghetto, I know.) Installing the new Compu-Fire voltage regulator was even easier. I connected Rick's stator and the regulator using quality heat-shrink butt connectors from Delcity.net.

First let me say that even when my Tuono was running fine the battery measured about 12.5 volts at idle and around 13.2 at 4K rpm (tested with my multimeter). Not great but it did the job.

When I fired up the Tuono for the first time after installing the new stator & CompuFire, she read 14.4 volts at idle. Wow. Even with the engine off, the battery now reads 13.2 per my multimeter.

Thanks to all the helpful posts on the Forum (and to locknload re the CompuFire install).

Anyway, I know it's not a permanent fix but I'm probably good for another 20K miles. And I already have a new stator cover gasket waiting in the wings..
    I am Governor Jerry Brown
    My aura smiles
    And never frowns
    Soon I will be president...

apriliaforum newb
    HI mate Hope your ape is still ok ive got a burnt stator and a 500 w rotor which way did you contact piaggio, i want to give it a go just failed to buy one off A J SUTTON for £250 pounds + any link would be welcome thanks

Exclamation Maintenance of Compu-Fire 55402

Hello

As you might know there are some reports in the internet of failures of the Compu-Fire 55402.
    I know at least of 2 incidences.

Analyzing the photos I have a guess why they burnt.

I recently looked at the back of my Compu-Fire 55402 and found some hairline cracks in the casting compound!

I think those cracks and penetrating moisture could cause an electrical short-circuit.

So preventing these circumstances I sealed the back of the CF with silicone.
    I recommend this procedure to all users of the Compu-Fire 55402!

Regards Renι

I just bought an 08 Tuono with a charging problem. Turns out its the stator. I have a Ricks on order, we'll see jow thos holds up. Are we replacing anything else with this? Install looks straightforward. Is it?
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Mini-Low‡Clear Signal Lenses
    2017 High-Ball in Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, Creator and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

It seems this is going to be an issue with the RSV4s as well. Any reason why the Compu-Fire 55402 wouldn't work for the RSV4s?

apriliaforum expert PlatinumRSV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Hello

As you might know there are some reports in the internet of failures of the Compu-Fire 55402.
    I know at least of 2 incidences.

Analyzing the photos I have a guess why they burnt.

I recently looked at the back of my Compu-Fire 55402 and found some hairline cracks in the casting compound!

I think those cracks and penetrating moisture could cause an electrical short-circuit.

So preventing these circumstances I sealed the back of the CF with silicone.
    I recommend this procedure to all users of the Compu-Fire 55402!

Regards Renι
    Good idea
    -=Steve=-

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - SOLD - Custom Paint / Chrome Wheels / Leo Vince High Mount / Integrated Tail Lights / Yamaha Starter Relay / TruGel Battery / Fender Eliminator

2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory - Akrapovič Full System / Sato Rear Sets / Apex Adjustable Clip-Ons / Puig Windscreen / Spiegler Brake & Clutch Lines / AF1 Lowering Links / Adjustable Kickstand / Fork & Swing-arm Sliders / Fender Eliminator

RareSportBikesForSale.com | Adam Carolla CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog | AF1 Racing

apriliaforum Member leenineplus's Avatar
    I fitted these. Never a problem since. Touch wood.
    http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-b...rch&PR=-1&TB=A

Quote Originally Posted by leenineplus View Post
    I fitted these. Never a problem since. Touch wood.
    http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-b...rch&PR=-1&TB=A
    To quit this topic ( too), My -04 has runned 10 000 km. with same update without problems.
    I'm a (triathlo)nist, that's why I've joined A(prilia) & A(udi) club.

apriliaforum Junkie
    im back to the early plan.. sh847, they have updated the website.. and its series type.. not mosfet

apriliaforum newb
    BUMP of an old thread.

In the process of acquiring an '07 Tuono 1000R. Getting up to speed on reliability issues that I prefer to sort out of the gate...

After a ton of reading, this issue is on my radar.

So has the Computer-Fire R/R and Rick's stator become the definitive fix for this issue? There are so many extensive, related threads, I'd love to see a sticky with the ultimate final fixes.

I guess the stator auxiliary external oiling mod is not necessary?

Thanks,

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    BUMP of an old thread.

In the process of acquiring an '07 Tuono 1000R. Getting up to speed on reliability issues that I prefer to sort out of the gate...

After a ton of reading, this issue is on my radar.

So has the Computer-Fire R/R and Rick's stator become the definitive fix for this issue? There are so many extensive, related threads, I'd love to see a sticky with the ultimate final fixes.

I guess the stator auxiliary external oiling mod is not necessary?

Thanks,

P.
    I strongly recommend reading this - http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post3418062

And this - http://t12tech.com/products/aprilia-rsvr.html
    2017 Husky FC350
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) Full Akra and Race ECU
    FOR SALE - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

apriliaforum newb
    So a Computer-Fire 55402 or a SH847 regulator rectifier is the R/R of current choice.

-P.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    So a Computer-Fire 55402 or a SH847 regulator rectifier is the R/R of current choice.

-P.
    SH847 + T12 + Rick's .. The combination of all 3 items did the trick for micbrugo. I completed this setup on my ride a year ago and so far so good.
    2017 Husky FC350
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) Full Akra and Race ECU
    FOR SALE - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

apriliaforum newb
    ^^^^

Ditto

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast