Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

magnetism

Isn't there any possibility to get the magnetism down off the rotor.
    This is maybe the simplest way to get cooler or not?
    bartho

With the aftermarket rotors, are they simply remans? Are people having to send theirs in first or do they have cores lying about? Just wondering if Rick's can use the magnets with the 99-03 spec as opposed to the 04+ spec. if they're being manufactured from scratch.
    Michel
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -Winston Churchill

2004 RSV-R Factory Sold and will be sorely missed.

apriliaforum expert
    If you reduce the strength of the rotor magnetism, you lower the flux density in the stator and reduce charging current. The minimum rpm to go from discharge to charge will increase. This will not help keep your battery charged. Other ways to do the same thing are to increase the air gap between the stator and rotor, or simply use thicker stator wire with less turns around each pole. All of these solutions will lower available charging current at low rpm, and total watts available at any rpm.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    With the aftermarket rotors, are they simply remans? Are people having to send theirs in first or do they have cores lying about? Just wondering if Rick's can use the magnets with the 99-03 spec as opposed to the 04+ spec. if they're being manufactured from scratch.
    i've used 4 of rick's stators (over many years and on different bikes) and never had to send him a core. other than that, i have no clue where he gets his stuff to make the stators.
    Last edited by RumbleStrip; 10-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar
    An uninformed question... does the stator cover have holes to allow for air cooling? My last bike (Kawasaki ZRX11) definitely had ventilation holes for the alternator.

rotors and stators

Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    Michel;
    we're having trouble with the stators not the rotors, the rotors have sheet metal hydroformed over the magnets so changing the magnets would be extremely difficult, what we need is for Aprilia to realize there is a problem and then DO SOMETHING about it
    the Big 4 had the same problem and recalled the Denso rotors

Noel-theknurl

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs View Post
    An uninformed question... does the stator cover have holes to allow for air cooling? My last bike (Kawasaki ZRX11) definitely had ventilation holes for the alternator.
    No, because there's oil circulating inside the cover. But, high oil temperature, hot weather, would likely contribute to the problem of smoked stators.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

Just a tought about this overheating, would a lower thermostat help in any way? I was on a ride today and altought it was at best 10 'C I did saw the engine temp go to 94 degrees in town. The engine is running way hot for my taste. This is about 200 Deg, F while most engine run at the 160-180 range.

hot stator

So this must be the reason why the clutch slave getting to hot. He is located just next to the stator.
    bartho

thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by drouin955 View Post
    Just a tought about this overheating, would a lower thermostat help in any way? I was on a ride today and altought it was at best 10 'C I did saw the engine temp go to 94 degrees in town. The engine is running way hot for my taste. This is about 200 Deg, F while most engine run at the 160-180 range.
    drouin;
    changing the thermostat won't effect the stator....only decreasing the magnetic field that it is exposed to will.

Noel-theknurl

Quote Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
    drouin;
    changing the thermostat won't effect the stator....only decreasing the magnetic field that it is exposed to will.

Noel-theknurl
    Yes I understand, but the thermostat is in charge of regulating/dissipating heat, so indirectly it could lower overall temp. Altought on second tought it is the oil who could be use to drain away heat, in this case.But still, it would do no harm. For sure it's not a cure, only a temporary band-aid. Keep working on it, we're counting on you!

In hot weather or stop and go a cooler thermostat will not lower engine temperature. Both thermostats flow the same when fully open. Once they're open, they're open, and engine temperature is governed by ambient temperature and air flow through the radiator.

The down side of a cooler thermostat is it can slow warm-up and prevent the engine reaching optimum operating temperature especially in cooler weather.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

1200 Total Miles - No issues to report and all Voltage Numbers remain the same across the RPM board.

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    No, because there's oil circulating inside the cover. But, high oil temperature, hot weather, would likely contribute to the problem of smoked stators.
    What about using a better oil ?

Quote Originally Posted by zx6racer View Post
    What about using a better oil ?
    That's what I thought too.. I figured since synt oil has a better reaction with heat, maybe it could protect the stator a little even if it's only delaying the problem.

I know someone (more knoledgeable) will prove me wrong though...
    04 RSVR:

Connectorectomised
    Heavy-duty stator
    relocated regulator
    Hertz link plates
    solidified oil tank
    changed all cheap hose clamps (gaz tank!)
    swing arm recalled
    new non-resetting dash
    Yamaha starter relay
    side stand stopper grinded
    Aprilia tigs
    CRG levers
    K&N filter
    gel grips
    RhinoMoto bar ends
    Arrows damper
    R&G frame sliders
    15 teeth front sprocket