Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Quote Originally Posted by TxRider View Post
    I'm somewhere between 5 and 10k miles on my Ricks V1 Stator. I swapped out the connectors when I replaced the orgininal stator back in 7/2008. Didn't ride a lot afterwards. So I'm looking to replace the RR with the Compu-Fire 55 402 controller. Should I replace the stator now? Will the new RR get damaged if the current stator dies?

P.S. I really hated being stranded by that stock stator at high noon that summer. Ugh!

Thanks.
    Hello TxRider

I think it's a good idea to swap to the Compu-Fire 55402 even if your stator isn't burn't yet.
    Maybe your lucky and your stator will last a long, long time with the Compu-Fire.

It's quite unlikely that the regulator will fail too, if the stator fails.

Regards
    René

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm changing the RR to the Compu-Fire 55402. But what I would like to know is will the the Compu-Fire be damaged if the stator goes out after the swap. I'll be testing the stator and changing my oil before the swap. But I don't know ( from all that I read ) if the stator will survive since it had some milage with the old RR. I'll be stuck in a cage a few weeks if the stator is borderline or the oil smells cooked. Till I get another stator.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TxRider View Post
    I'm changing the RR to the Compu-Fire 55402. But what I would like to know is will the the Compu-Fire be damaged if the stator goes out after the swap. I'll be testing the stator and changing my oil before the swap. But I don't know ( from all that I read ) if the stator will survive since it had some milage with the old RR. I'll be stuck in a cage a few weeks if the stator is borderline or the oil smells cooked. Till I get another stator.

Thanks.
    Hello

Theres no insurcance that the stator will last forever with the Compu-Fire even if you change the stator too. But hopefully it will last much longer.

I think it depends of how many miles you made with the stator and the original RR. If you only made a few thousand miles it's absolutely possible, that the stator will last as long as your bike.

Regards René

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Well Ty's bike is running again. I had a thought, which is usually a bad thing but, here goes:

1998-2003 RSV's never had issues with the stator. I do agree with theknurl that the magnetism of the late model flywheel is very high and makes way too much heat on the stator but, since there is no optional lower magnetism stator there has to be another option for a fix. So today I tore down three engines and took a perfectly new looking 2001 Stator (why I was asking about Denso codes) with 14,400 miles on it out of a 2001 motor. Obviously this is not a direct fit BUT it is a different stator meant for lower output. The physical dimensions are the same as is the clearance between the flywheel and rotor. Some nipping and soldering, remove a sensor...bam, it fits.
    So I guess I should have chimed in earlier on this but I have a previous generation stator in my bike after cooking two. I found a Falco stator here on the forum and installed it three years ago (looked at my PM's it was August 08). Granted I haven't been riding as much as I have been busy starting a family, buying a bigger house, etc...

So far my output is in the 13-14 volt range and holding steady after 2000 miles or so. Granted I rewired my bike and added power and ground circuits from the regulator to the battery (see futura mod). I currently need a new battery as mine is dead after only two years but I didn't keep it on a tender last winter so that surely killed it.

I was planning on instaling a series regulator but I didn't want to be the tester and was hoping someone else would put some serious miles on one before I pulled the trigger. It sounds like there are folks out there with them but I haven't read through this entire thread to see how many miles have been tested yet.

So yes the previous gen stators fit fine you have to remove the pickup wire from it but it but other than that it is a direct bolt up item. Whether or not they last longer only time will tell.

Double Bubble Dark Smoke
    Brembo Billet 16 x 18 Clutch Master

Thanks for all the updates.
    WERA Novice #425(before I deployed, now I'm a bench warmer)

God and the Soldier, we adore,
    In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted.
    ~Rudyard Kipling

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom

Custom wiring conversion kit for Compu-Fire 55402

Hello again

For those living in Europe and thinking about changing to the Compu-Fire 55402 we are doing a group buy in "my" german speaking forum.
    So if someone is interested you're welcome to join.

I also made a custom conversion kit.

Who wants to receive the following conversion kit (option 1):
    Cost: 80 - SFr. including VAT
    Shipping EU space: 18.50 - SFr.

Option 2 is with an additional plug in the stator to R/R cable.
    Cost: 110 - SFr. including VAT
    Shipping EU space: 18.50 - SFr.

The following cables and connectors are included:

Cable from the stator to the voltage regulator (with crimp connectors)
    Cost: 26.50 SFr .- incl.

Unfortunately, in the delivery of the Compu-Fire 55402 only the connector housing is included. The contacts and sealing collars are missing ...
    The used wire is a 2.5mm2. The wires are protected by a heat protection tube, which is specified up to 250°C.
    The pins were crimped with the appropriate crimping tool from Delphi and soldered separately.
    To connect the cable to the the stator, you should also lend the appropriate crimping tool at your local electrician.

Cable from the stator to the voltage regulator (variant 2 with connector)
    Cost: 56.50 SFr .- incl. VAT

Other to the first variant, the stator is connected with a plug. All connectors are high power waterproof built connectors designed specifically for use in the automotive sector.
    The connection of the wires from the stator again is made with crimp connectors.

Cable from vehicle ground left side (existing) to the starter motor vehicle ground (new)
    Cost: 6.50 SFr .- incl. VAT

Contrary to the photo a 6mm2 ring cable lug for M6 screws will be fitted.
    This wire is also protected by the heat tube.

Cable from the starter motor vehicle ground (new) to the ground of the cable harness
    Cost: 5.50 SFr .- incl. VAT

Contrary to the photo a 6mm2 ring cable lug for M6 screws will be fitted. On the side of the wiring harness disconnect the two blue wires from the plug and crimp it with the crimp connector.

Reworking of the Compu-Fire 55402
    Cost: 41.50 SFr .- incl.
    Delivery status:

I'm removing the contacts from the connector housing and additionally solder the crimping.

To get more flexibility an additional connector will be mounted.

The ground connection from the voltage regulator will be shortened and a ring cable lug for M6 screws will be fitted.

A detailed conversion instructions can be found in the RSV Wiki.

Regards René

Please order by email only!
    laeubren(ät)bluewin.ch
    Last edited by Oberon; 03-11-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Just put the new stator in. I'm running the stock R/R and straight wires from the stator to the R/R and just used butt connectors with a heatshrink jacket. I don't have the tool or time to do a proper test on voltage, but my dash is showing 13.4 at idle. Let's see how long this lasts.

You really should get yourself a cheap volt meter. They can be had for less than 10 dollars. 13.4 at the battery would still indicate a problem. 13.4 on the dash doesn't tell you much.

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    You really should get yourself a cheap volt meter. They can be had for less than 10 dollars. 13.4 at the battery would still indicate a problem. 13.4 on the dash doesn't tell you much.
    Yeah I just needed a quick fix, and the Ape is now a secondary bike. Hopefully I'll have time to play with this bike more. I just wanted it running.

kzmille is correct. Mine will show between 13.2 to 13.4 at the dash but shows around 14.2 directly off of the battery. Get a cheap voltmeter and check it at the batter terminals while the bike is running.

BTW: I have been running a Rick's stator (I believe version 2) and a MOSFET style (OEM Yamaha) regulator for well over 5K and it has not missed a beat. I'll let you guys know how its doing in another 5K.
    2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human."

Wow, long thread. Thanks everyone for so much guidance. You've got me worried.

So I put a meter across the battery terminals with the engine at around 2K RPM and got a reading of 14 +. That would suggest a good charge going into the battery. My battery seems to stay healthy and the lights don't dim that I'm aware of.

But after reading this 32 page thread, I thought I'd check the stator just for giggles, and loh and behold, I get 28 on one pair, 38 on another and 60+ on the third. WTF!

Now, I measured it at the brown connector near the rectifier (after disconnecting of course). And I ran it up to 4,000 rpm. But, that means the other brown connector was between my meter and the stator. I wonder if that connection is not good, thus causing the crappy readings. But then why the good reading of a positive charge at the battery?

Any thoughts/suggestions anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    ...But then why the good reading of a positive charge at the battery?..
    Because the regulator received enough to give a decent output. You still have a problem though. Did you redo the AC test at the first connector from the stator?

Because the regulator received enough to give a decent output. You still have a problem though. Did you redo the AC test at the first connector from the stator?
    Not yet, but that will be next. Will report back on the readings. Txs!

I started down this rabbit hole but am having second thoughts. It is just too difficult for the payoff. To get that damn brown connector accessible is not easy (the one that is basically down in between the pots, not the one next to the rectifier).

Looking at my brown connectors, they are both in excellent condition. No sign of over heating at all anywhere. I think I'll just tighten up the connections by crimping the female end a bit, grease them with dialectic and declare them "good enough for government work" for now. I'll measure the voltage output again at the rectifier end, but I'm sure I'm gonna need a new stator at this point. I'll take care of the browns when I do that job. In the meantime, I am getting a good 14 volts across the battery terminals and the battery checks out healthy and the lights are bright, so this should get me through the next few trackdays before the late Fall sets in.

I'll order Rick's stator to have on hand just in case and ready for that winter job. What a bummer that such a thing needs replacing. Only 17K miles on the bike - shouldn't need a new stator. Hopefully Rick's mod will last much longer - like a normal bike.

This bike is new to me in the past 6 weeks and overall I like it a lot. Yeah, it is Italian and therefore needs TLC but I knew that before I bought it (owned Ducks before).

Looking forward to getting it on track in later July at NHMP and seeing what it can do.

The only thing I would have liked to have done before tracking it is have the rear shock serviced, but timing doesn't look good for that at this point. I'm sure it is overdue, but seems serviceable in the meantime.

This new info from Gabro about a new flywheel should be part of this thread:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...9&postcount=30

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post

for now we know:
    1) the new generator assebly (370W vs the old 500W) has been installed since 2008, starting from the motor #8176929
    2) to solve the issue is mandatory to replace the rotor too.
    3) we have got a price reduction on the updated parts (stator + rotor), part number AP0296988: their costs is now 380euro+vat instead of 850euro+vat.
    4) aprilia will update to the new generator with no costs if your bike is still in the 2 years warranty, only if you burn the original stator.
    5) is it possible to have an "extended warranty" on the component for bikes that have more than 2 years, but the has to be 100% original and with a full official service book (almost impossible to approach ( )
    6) once updated, Aprilia will relase a certificate of "updated bike"

we'r now trying to get better conditions, expecially for 4) and 5) .... stay tuned

once we got a complete answer from Aprilia/Piaggio here in Italy, you'll can ask similar condition to your importers or local company arownd the word

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast