Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Hello all,

A lot of you will know what happened to me at Laguna this year and I questioned RicksMotorsportsElectrics what they intend to do as a long term solution for the stator failure after 4500 miles.

This is their firm response - Take a look at the photo below as this is the stator that I received in the mail. pst pst - Did I say free of charge?

Evidently they have made some manufacturing changes and are now using heavier gauge wire with less turns. It is still wrapped in Delta connections or 2 wires per pole. All Stators for our bikes will built in this configuration as a result of my failure in Laguna Seca.

The Version2 Stator is now installed and the bike is running at a very slightly lower voltage across the rpm board - by .1 to .2 ( 14.1 as opposed to 14.3 at upper rpms) I believe this is to be expected due less turns but should last longer and more effective.

So, here I go again and I'll keep updating the thread as I send my status report to http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/.

ALSO - Thanks to Ricks Electrics for letting me be the 1st to try this and allowing me to be the "Test Bunny". Of course in return, I have to send a status update of how the stator is holding up on a regular basis. A small price to pay for the benefit of a lot of folks.

Here's a side by side comparison of the Original vs Version 2

Version 2

Original version that I installed at Laguna Seca MotoGp. It has approximately 2k miles. Yeah...I ride.

Another Version 2
    Last edited by Reubens32; 10-18-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: I made a mistake
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

I just replaced mine all together with this>

It's called a Flux Capacitor...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    rick's has solid stuff. always had good luck with their products on my japadanese bikes. gotta order a rectifier for the 04 rsv from them tuesday.
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

hay reubens

Been following your threads on this stator isues your been having as i too had my stator fail on me about 2 mouths ago after looking at all the opions i have also gone with a stator from ricks. Stator fitted up tested fine which was great because i was planning a 2 week trip up the east coast of australia with it have been and got as far as the sunshine coast covered over 5000km in that time with some 12 hour days of riding and now the stator's got on it just over 6000km on it.

The reson i'm telling you this is the new thicker wire stator in your picture is the same as the one i was sent by ricks thats in my bike now it's been in my bike about 5 weeks now ticking over nicely... when i got the new stator from ricks i thought that the wire was extra thick on it, but just thought that it was the standed from them but i guess not just to let you know your not alone in this test after all...

marsie

Quote Originally Posted by marsie View Post
    hay reubens

Been following your threads on this stator isues your been having as i too had my stator fail on me about 2 mouths ago after looking at all the opions i have also gone with a stator from ricks. Stator fitted up tested fine which was great because i was planning a 2 week trip up the east coast of australia with it have been and got as far as the sunshine coast covered over 5000km in that time with some 12 hour days of riding and now the stator's got on it just over 6000km on it.

The reson i'm telling you this is the new thicker wire stator in your picture is the same as the one i was sent by ricks thats in my bike now it's been in my bike about 5 weeks now ticking over nicely... when i got the new stator from ricks i thought that the wire was extra thick on it, but just thought that it was the standed from them but i guess not just to let you know your not alone in this test after all...

marsie
    Good to hear M8! I really hope this thicker wire that they're producing on the revised stators will hold up to the stress that our bikes apply on this component.

If you could....please keep updating this thread with your mileage and status of your stators. More info, the better for all of us. Cheers M8!

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

Status Update

No issues to report - Sorry for the low miles but the weather is extremely good here in SoCal and I've been riding my bicycle a lot lately.

120 miles only
    • 13.9 @ idle
    • 13.4 @ idle w/ both fans on
    • 14.2 @ speed
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

I don't need a stator yet, but how much $$$ is that one from Ricks?

I believe its aproximately $139 shipped in continental US. Maybe +10.
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

Not too many miles to bragg about - added another 140 miles for this past week for a new total of 260 miles.

Numbers have stayed the same - no deviations.

+ 140 miles since last update
    • 13.9 @ idle
    • 13.4 @ idle w/ both fans on
    • 14.2 @ speed
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

New total mileage is now @ 560 miles. No issues to report and still going strong. All voltage #'s remain the same across the board.

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

I have a rebuilted stator that was done exactly like yours: Les thicker wire. It was done a year and 10000 ago. Still looking good. It may not be the real cure because it just cures a symptome but, it's an easy fix that could be effective and seems to give peace of mind.
    04 RSVR:

Connectorectomised
    Heavy-duty stator
    relocated regulator
    Hertz link plates
    solidified oil tank
    changed all cheap hose clamps (gaz tank!)
    swing arm recalled
    new non-resetting dash
    Yamaha starter relay
    side stand stopper grinded
    Aprilia tigs
    CRG levers
    K&N filter
    gel grips
    RhinoMoto bar ends
    Arrows damper
    R&G frame sliders
    15 teeth front sprocket
    Fabri windscreen

Stator burn again

Bad news
    Was in France last week (Gorge du verdon) for about 10 days.
    Had some problems to start the bike and sometimes the engine cut out at idle.
    Didn't have time to look at the problem. So today I start to look at the problem and started to change the engine oil.
    And what I see ,black oil, so I was directly aware of the problem BURNED STATOR (3 th time) This stator was rewired at SEVIOR in The Nethelands with thicker wire. It was done in 05/2006 and I did almost 29000 Km.
    I look at the rectifier too but this seems to be normal. So the cause why it burns???? I do not now.
    I will put it back to rewiring so we will see.

bartho

[QUOTE=bartho;1991360]Bad news
    Was in France last week (Gorge du verdon) for about 10 days.
    Had some problems to start the bike and sometimes the engine cut out at idle.
    Didn't have time to look at the problem. So today I start to look at the problem and started to change the engine oil.
    And what I see ,black oil, so I was directly aware of the problem BURNED STATOR (3 th time) This stator was rewired at SEVIOR in The Nethelands with thicker wire. It was done in 05/2006 and I did almost 29000 Km.
    I look at the rectifier too but this seems to be normal. So the cause why it burns???? I do not now.
    I will put it back to rewiring so we will see.

So... curing the symptoms won't prevent them to happen again... Evidently...

Ok I'm waiting for my 3th stator to burn then.

Fark...
    04 RSVR:

Connectorectomised
    Heavy-duty stator
    relocated regulator
    Hertz link plates
    solidified oil tank
    changed all cheap hose clamps (gaz tank!)
    swing arm recalled
    new non-resetting dash
    Yamaha starter relay
    side stand stopper grinded
    Aprilia tigs
    CRG levers
    K&N filter
    gel grips
    RhinoMoto bar ends
    Arrows damper
    R&G frame sliders
    15 teeth front sprocket
    Fabri windscreen

apriliaforum expert
    The thicker stator wire will make the stator run cooler - no doubt. However, it still may not run cool enough to prevent the insulation used on the wires from breaking down and allowing the wires to short out. A series regulator would certainly help solve this problem, but I don't know if there is one available yet.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

wires thicknes

Does someone nows the original thickness of the stator wires?
    I'm going to measure the wire of my burned stator and asking to replace the wire with more thicker wire. If it is possible. Wat is the tickness of the wire that ricks motorsports uses in his new stator?
    So the regulator ? I now that Technurl was looking for a series regulator but I think it doesn't exist yet. Maybe Rick's motorsport ?????
    Bartho
    bartho

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast