Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

Hello all,

A lot of you will know what happened to me at Laguna this year and I questioned RicksMotorsportsElectrics what they intend to do as a long term solution for the stator failure after 4500 miles.

This is their firm response - Take a look at the photo below as this is the stator that I received in the mail. pst pst - Did I say free of charge?

Evidently they have made some manufacturing changes and are now using heavier gauge wire with less turns. It is still wrapped in Delta connections or 2 wires per pole. All Stators for our bikes will built in this configuration as a result of my failure in Laguna Seca.

The Version2 Stator is now installed and the bike is running at a very slightly lower voltage across the rpm board - by .1 to .2 ( 14.1 as opposed to 14.3 at upper rpms) I believe this is to be expected due less turns but should last longer and more effective.

So, here I go again and I'll keep updating the thread as I send my status report to http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/.

ALSO - Thanks to Ricks Electrics for letting me be the 1st to try this and allowing me to be the "Test Bunny". Of course in return, I have to send a status update of how the stator is holding up on a regular basis. A small price to pay for the benefit of a lot of folks.

Here's a side by side comparison of the Original vs Version 2

Version 2

Original version that I installed at Laguna Seca MotoGp. It has approximately 2k miles. Yeah...I ride.

Another Version 2
    Last edited by Reubens32; 10-18-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: I made a mistake
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

I just replaced mine all together with this>

It's called a Flux Capacitor...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    rick's has solid stuff. always had good luck with their products on my japadanese bikes. gotta order a rectifier for the 04 rsv from them tuesday.
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

hay reubens

Been following your threads on this stator isues your been having as i too had my stator fail on me about 2 mouths ago after looking at all the opions i have also gone with a stator from ricks. Stator fitted up tested fine which was great because i was planning a 2 week trip up the east coast of australia with it have been and got as far as the sunshine coast covered over 5000km in that time with some 12 hour days of riding and now the stator's got on it just over 6000km on it.

The reson i'm telling you this is the new thicker wire stator in your picture is the same as the one i was sent by ricks thats in my bike now it's been in my bike about 5 weeks now ticking over nicely... when i got the new stator from ricks i thought that the wire was extra thick on it, but just thought that it was the standed from them but i guess not just to let you know your not alone in this test after all...

marsie

Quote Originally Posted by marsie View Post
    hay reubens

Been following your threads on this stator isues your been having as i too had my stator fail on me about 2 mouths ago after looking at all the opions i have also gone with a stator from ricks. Stator fitted up tested fine which was great because i was planning a 2 week trip up the east coast of australia with it have been and got as far as the sunshine coast covered over 5000km in that time with some 12 hour days of riding and now the stator's got on it just over 6000km on it.

The reson i'm telling you this is the new thicker wire stator in your picture is the same as the one i was sent by ricks thats in my bike now it's been in my bike about 5 weeks now ticking over nicely... when i got the new stator from ricks i thought that the wire was extra thick on it, but just thought that it was the standed from them but i guess not just to let you know your not alone in this test after all...

marsie
    Good to hear M8! I really hope this thicker wire that they're producing on the revised stators will hold up to the stress that our bikes apply on this component.

If you could....please keep updating this thread with your mileage and status of your stators. More info, the better for all of us. Cheers M8!

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

Status Update

No issues to report - Sorry for the low miles but the weather is extremely good here in SoCal and I've been riding my bicycle a lot lately.

120 miles only
    • 13.9 @ idle
    • 13.4 @ idle w/ both fans on
    • 14.2 @ speed
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

I don't need a stator yet, but how much $$$ is that one from Ricks?

I believe its aproximately $139 shipped in continental US. Maybe +10.
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

I think the real solution is replacing the OEM regulator. We shouldn't be wasting time (and money) replacing stators. At the very least, be glad we don't have the Duc 1098 and 848 regulators. They seem to be popping at a fairly good rate leaving people stranded with no warning. I believe there's even a recall! Italians and electricity. They don't mix.
    Michel
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -Winston Churchill

2004 RSV-R Factory Sold and will be sorely missed.

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    I think the real solution is replacing the OEM regulator. We shouldn't be wasting time (and money) replacing stators. At the very least, be glad we don't have the Duc 1098 and 848 regulators. They seem to be popping at a fairly good rate leaving people stranded with no warning. I believe there's even a recall! Italians and electricity. They don't mix.
    so are you saying stay with OEM stator or replace OEM with Ricky's stuff?
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    its a Japanese rotor and Reg/Rec....not Italian

Noel-theknurl

Well the stators are actually failing due to the regulator, not to an actual fault with the stator itself. So if the regulator is replaced with a series regulator, and Noel is correct, then NONE of the stators would go bad like they do now, whether it's OEM or Rick's.
    Michel
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -Winston Churchill

2004 RSV-R Factory Sold and will be sorely missed.

stators etc

Guys its not the stator, its been around for 30+ years, its not the rec/regulator....
    its the combination of the type of regulator with the NEW ROTOR!!!!

'98-'03 Aprilias had the same stator and regulator and did NOT fry stators
    the Big 4 ALL had trouble with the new generation rotors from Denso... the difference being .........they recalled them!!!
    the experts said ~1300 Gausses are needed to produce 500 watts...
    they measured mine at ~2600 Gausses

this is NOT like automotive systems where the amount of power produced is controlled by the regulator adjusting the amount of electricty in the field windings.
    because of the combination of the extra power being produced, and a shunt regulator the system over heats and the weak link is the stator windings,
    i think it was kzmille that said the hottest spot on the entire motor was the stator cover.

the only thing that is different is the NEW ROTOR

you think Aprilia is going to step up to the plate and tell Denso to fix it?

like they did with;
    resetting dashes?
    leaking gas caps?
    goofy fuel maps [they've tried.... BUT never confuse efforts with results!] ?
    hydraulics that need constant bleeding?
    how about a recall on the fuel line/click clamps in the tank?
    or the LINK PLATES ???

some things are annoyances, but others can kill or maim us!!

Noel-theknurl

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    as far as the map, either keep the stock exhaust or dont be so cheap and get a power commander and a custom map

its strange because with the problems you have had i would have sold the bike or traded it, mine has 16,000 trouble free miles with none of the above problems, then again i dont tinker with my bike, i ride it

i did have a custom map made but there is no stock map configuration they can come up with for all the aftermarket headers and pipes - sheesh! if your doing aftermarket mods, get the all the aftermarket parts to make them work, dont blame aprilia, and i would bet there maps work with there pipes, imagine that! sorry they dissapointed you and not making aprilia maps to go with every configuration of aftermarket headers and cans out there available
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    i can understand theknurls frustration with all the problems he has had, actually anyones for that matter, but bottom line is any production vehicle whether it be a car or a bike has parts built by the lowest bidder, its fine line on quality and priceing, seriously i dont think i would have paid 40 grand for my bike, i would have bought something cheaper, dollar for dollar the mille has way better componants than many of the jap bikes, which by the way they are not without problems either. somewhere sometime there is someone tinkering with there jap bike trying to fix all the things they deem as to be wrong with the bike and posting on a forum just like this

as for breaking link plates, they shouldnt - period. do all of them - no, whats the difference in the bikes that have vs havent? - dont know. was the suspension height changed on those bikes and the shock hit the dogbone? - dont know that either. i know mine has clearence

as for stators frying, no they shouldnt either

i'm not saying the bikes are perfect, but they are far from the junk that a certain forum member claims them up to be

btw, i still have my stock link plates on, never got around to installing the ti ones
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast