Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shiver problem?

New shiver problem?

Think i may have uncovered a new problem with our beloved shivers.
    Both the clutch fluid reservoir and brake fluid reservoir lids appear to be weeping fluid, both started about the same time.

It may be that the pressure on my pressure washer is a bit high though as both started at the same time a few days after i washed the bike!?!?

Think I've got the same problem, after every ride there's a small amount of fluid weeping from the clutch and brake cylinders. My bike has done 1800 miles and been washed many a time but have only just noticed it these last few days.

Any ideas anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifftiff View Post
    Think I've got the same problem, after every ride there's a small amount of fluid weeping from the clutch and brake cylinders. My bike has done 1800 miles and been washed many a time but have only just noticed it these last few days.

Any ideas anybody?
    mines just coming up to 1200 miles, glad its not just me!
    dealers ordering some new gaskets for me under warranty so we'll see if it happens again.

You use a high pressure washer on the bike?

I barely spray the bars/cluster area and cover the keyhole with a piece of tape.

Sorry, haven't seen any weeping from the reservoirs.

4000 miles and no weeping,
    hope you get it sorted

steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    You use a high pressure washer on the bike?

I barely spray the bars/cluster area and cover the keyhole with a piece of tape.

Sorry, haven't seen any weeping from the reservoirs.
    yeah always have on every bike i've had and never had a problem before?

apriliaforum expert catch2otwooo's Avatar
    no weeping here

Quote Originally Posted by Iand View Post
    yeah always have on every bike i've had and never had a problem before?
    ever had an Italian one? Or an old MG?

I am pretty cautious when I wash and avoid much water up in the "business" end of the electronics. I don't worry about riding in the raid, but given the often "creative" design of the electrics on these bikes I figure discretion is the better part of valor.

I've spotted this on mine in the last couple of days.

I did wonder if it's a consequence of the temperature.

I never use a pressure washer BTW.

Ex-owner: 2007 Shiver, Aprilia screen, Tuono forks and Brembos, Hyperpro Springs F&R, 46T rear sprocket (supersprox), DNA Filter, Akrapovics, Gold wheels, Michelin Pilot Road IIs

Surely this is solved by replacing the lids by these for only 60 euro each

Haven't noticed any leaks here

Done: ** Maxtreme decat and exhaust ** Rear hugger ** Aprilia Race Levers ** Hyperpro Progressive Suspension ** Evotech Bar Ends (Gold) ** CRG Bar End Mirror ** Aprilia Tail Tidy **

It is a wonder about new bikes. Pressure washing your bike should have absolutely no effect on brake components. Unless you are using a 4,000 psi gun and 5 gallons per minute.

People always freek out when I pressure wash my car engines. I always say, if you run your car and pressure wash your engine at the same time and something bad happens than something is really wrong.

In fact, I found a car coil that was arcing one time because it was wet. It had a big crack in it. All electronic components should be sealed due to rain and other items like pressure washing.

I am sure your dealership will take the time and make sure things are right.

Ryon

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iand View Post
    mines just coming up to 1200 miles, glad its not just me!
    dealers ordering some new gaskets for me under warranty so we'll see if it happens again.
    Hi Ian. I'm just at 1200 miles as well and mine started to leak about 3 weeks ago. I went over to our dealer and Heather scribbled down on a pretty full pad that I want the screen, circlips and have leaky cylinders and said she would order them all and let me know when they were in. I wasn't convinced she would remember and I haven't heard anything.

They do seem to have stopped leaking at the moment so I am not too desperate to chase her but I do get the feeling that unless I go over there again and ask what is going on it won't happen.

And no I never power wash the bike - just soap, water and a hose.
    Shiverman

It's been mentioned before.
    Mine do too, or at least the brake one. It has since I bought it but very very little and it doesn't seem to matter.

My mechanic noticed it the last time I was up but didn't seem too concerned.

It seems Aprilia don't know how to do gaskets properly.
    Makka the lurker

When the going gets weird
    the weird turn pro

Quote Originally Posted by ryonlisaadcock View Post
    It is a wonder about new bikes. Pressure washing your bike should have absolutely no effect on brake components. Unless you are using a 4,000 psi gun and 5 gallons per minute.

People always freek out when I pressure wash my car engines. I always say, if you run your car and pressure wash your engine at the same time and something bad happens than something is really wrong.

In fact, I found a car coil that was arcing one time because it was wet. It had a big crack in it. All electronic components should be sealed due to rain and other items like pressure washing.

I am sure your dealership will take the time and make sure things are right.

Ryon

Many seals are designed to keep lubricants in under relatively low pressure, not highly pressurised water jets out.

Some years ago one of the workshops I worked at had a a problem with quite a few BMW bikes where the gearboxes had filled up with water on bikes that were pressure washed regularly.

Personally I think pressure washing is completely un-neccesary, a decent soaking with water is sufficient, and degreaser for those greasy areas.

Ex-owner: 2007 Shiver, Aprilia screen, Tuono forks and Brembos, Hyperpro Springs F&R, 46T rear sprocket (supersprox), DNA Filter, Akrapovics, Gold wheels, Michelin Pilot Road IIs

I wouldn't pressure wash any bike, other than maybe a dirtbike, and even then I would have it on a low setting. Most of the electronics are sealed, yes, but only toward water that is just basically sitting there. I ran a pressure washer during high school, working at a school bus shop. Almost every person that ran one for the first time ended up with a motor that wouldn't start and some pissed off mechanics (they hadn't listened about where not to spray).

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast