Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuono ECU Problems?

Tuono ECU Problems?

For the last 13-years, I have owned nothing but Japanese sportbikes. Even though I've owned every Japanese make out there, I found myself getting bored of buying basically the same new bike every couple of years, so I decided it was time to venture into something with more class and exotic appeal. Aprilia is exactly what I wanted, however, I knew I would assume some risk of inconvenience since the closest Aprilia dealer is an 1hr/half away. Nonetheless, I did it, and am now seeing a bit of frustration with it.
    I have an 07 Tuono with about 1,600 miles on it. One day I start it up, and it is apparently only firing on one cylinder. So I put it on a trailer and drive it to the dealer, (which is an all-day event on its own). The dealer tells me it will be at least a week before they can look at it, since they are so busy. Ok, I understand, I guess I have to wait-it-out. I never heard from the dealer, so after two weeks I call them to see what the status is. They said their service manager is on vacation, and they did not have time to look at it, yet. I said you're kidding, right? No, hopefully we will get it fixed this week. another week goes by and I hear nothing. I call again on week-3. They say it looks like it is a coil, and it has to be ordered from Aprilia, since they have none in stock. Week-4, I call again, they don't know where the coil is at, and they can't get a hold of their Aprilia Rep. to find out where their parts-order is at. Week-5, they call to tell me that their service manager just quit or got fired, and the coil they ordered finally came in, but did not resolve the problem with my bike. So now they say that they called Aprilia, and they seem to think it might be the bike's ECU, since Aprilia says they are aware of 4-other bikes with the same problem. Here's more bad news, you guessed it...they don't have that in-stock, either. So we are heading into week-6, waiting for an ECU.
    I can't blame all of this on Aprilia, As you can tell the dealership primarily is the weak-link here. I understand this can happen to any Japanese bike on any given day, but from my past experiences, it is highly unlikely. So to venture out for the first time out of my cushy no-issue, Japanese world, it is pretty frustrating to have to deal with this issue right out of the chute.
    On top of all this, the dealership tells me they are biggest and most-experienced Aprilia dealer on the East-Coast. Finger-pointing will probably get me nowhere. But once in awhile it is nice to vent a little. Unfortunately there is not a Japanese bike I would rather have right now. I would have to say the Triumph Speed Tripple might be an alternative, if the current issues persist?
    Has anyone else experienced or heard about this ECU problem?

Yes, there have been a few ECU problems reported here, but for what it's worth I had mine crap out on 1 cylinder too. Had to trailer it back to my dealer, took 2 days to get it sorted. They thought it was an injector (), then the plug, then the ECU which they swapped with one off a demo, still didn't work. In the end they told me it turned out to be a faulty spark plug lead (I had heard about this before too, but didn't mention it to them at the time). So might be worth a call to them and mention it. They have to change it to check it - no point in 'looking at it'.

BTW, the speed trip - while a great bike, is not a T, in any way, form or manner! Sorry, can't help myself - but it's true.
    Last edited by TUONOAPE; 07-13-2008 at 05:27 AM.
    "I have had mostly Ducati’s for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)

Hey thanks, Tuonoape. Hopefully it will get sorted out, this week.

Aprilia is suppose to be getting parts back out there for us. They understand our needs, but with the problem they went through with this scooter a few years ago parts got scarce, but they're getting back on their feet on the parts end.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Mini-Low‡Clear Signal Lenses
    2017 High-Ball in Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, Creator and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

ECU Update

My bike has been in the shop now for 7-weeks. I have to say that's pretty sad. First they thought it was a coil. Then they said...Hmmm..maybe it's the ECU? So every time they think it's a different part, we have to wait a week for the part to come in, because none of these items are ever stocked. So the new ECU comes in, and goes bad right after they installed it. Now they think it might be a wiring harness, and of course that's not in-stock, so once again, I'll just wait a couple more weeks for them to call me and say that didn't fix it, either. My Japanese motorcycle buddies keep making fun of me for buying a bike with no dealer or parts support. I said hey...I wanted something different than everyone else. I didn't know it would turn into an absolute pain-in the-ass? The service manager has no clue if I will ever get the bike back, at all. They can't seem to figure it out.
    I'll post back next month to let you know if the dealer made any progress.

LiterJ - I'm in exactly the same situation, I hope this doesn't drag on forever.
    When mine was running on one cylinder I could smell all kinds of unburnt fuel come out the exhaust so I don't think it was an injector issue. Then I checked to see if It was getting spark and one spark plug was not getting spark witch means ether the coil pack or the ecu and I know they don't have ether in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilia View Post
    LiterJ - I'm in exactly the same situation, I hope this doesn't drag on forever.
    When mine was running on one cylinder I could smell all kinds of unburnt fuel come out the exhaust so I don't think it was an injector issue. Then I checked to see if It was getting spark and one spark plug was not getting spark witch means ether the coil pack or the ecu and I know they don't have ether in stock.
    Have either of your dealers considered pulling the ECU from another Tuono on the floor to see if that's the problem?
    2008 Tuono R (Blue)
    Akra Cans
    Map 2
    15 t / 42 t
    Woodcraft Sliders
    AF1 Link Plates
    Bunch of "AF1" stickers.....

2009 BMW R1200 GS Adv

"Workin' them angels.....overtime" RUSH

apriliaforum Junkie
    no, no that would be an intelligent move on the dealers part, lol

seriously though I don't trust any dealer worth a dime. Most of them just rip you off and have absolutely NO idea what they are doing.

I do 90% of the work on my bikes and while it may take me a little bit longer to get something done, I know it's done right. Plus it gives me the chance to tinker with my baby,

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrowder View Post
    Have either of your dealers considered pulling the ECU from another Tuono on the floor to see if that's the problem?

Yea, my dealer installed a new ECU and it fried 2 minutes later. So something must be shorting the ECU? That's why they are going to try a new wire harness? This just keeps getting better.

I would demand at least a loaner bike. Your riding season up there will be over by the time they get it fixed!!
    07 Fast Red Tuono Clear lenses, 15t, sliders, MIV Carbon GP Cans, Rizoma Mirrors, Rizoma Grips, Carbon Fiber rear Hugger
    93CBR1000, 2001 DRZ400E, 96 XR400

Quote Originally Posted by pilotw98 View Post
    I do 90% of the work on my bikes and while it may take me a little bit longer to get something done, I know it's done right. Plus it gives me the chance to tinker with my baby,
    I do most of my own work too, but I figger that ECU has got to cost a million bucks. so I want Aprilia to pay for it. Believe me I greatly considered buying the part from AF1 and installing it my self. But with out a scan tool, another gazillion bucks, I had to take it to the DEALER.

I checked on my bike today, one week after I took it in, and they said they hadn't even looked at it yet and there were 12 other Italian bikes in front of mine and they only had 1 Italian bike tech. I'm not even going to think about how long it's going to take to order the part. The bike dosen't even have 1200 miles on it!!! 12grand and I can't even ride it.

sorry for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by tuono07 View Post
    I would demand at least a loaner bike. Your riding season up there will be over by the time they get it fixed!!
    Yea - my biological clock is ticking!

Truly sorry to hear about your situation, guys. It may not mean much considering the situation you are dealing with, but once the bike is sorted, it will be a true love affair.

I am truly lucky to have AF1 only three hours away.
    2008 Tuono R (Blue)
    Akra Cans
    Map 2
    15 t / 42 t
    Woodcraft Sliders
    AF1 Link Plates
    Bunch of "AF1" stickers.....

2009 BMW R1200 GS Adv

"Workin' them angels.....overtime" RUSH

Only takes a few minutes to plug the Axone in, so i don't know why dealers can't have a quick look - no one knows enough to use the kit probably...

Came across one the other day with a faulty inlet pressure sensor causing intemittent running on one cyl. Symptom = cutting out at wide open throttle.

Looked ok at idle but would not sense the high numbers - read 0 pressure when engine not running - the other 3 measured atomospheric correctly at around 1000 millibars. Ran fine at idle.

training is the key....
    Lungamente vive il Tuono!

Mototech Diagnostics. Motorcycle workshop tools and equipment in Australia.

silver 04 Tuono, de restricted, Gabro Boiler, evoluzione adjustable FPR

I think I know the dealer he now has it at, and i don't think training is the issue whatsoever. I will say they certainly don't keep the parts on hand like AF1. Major frustration!

They are too busy being a Ducati dealer as well I think. (Their website even touts the fact that the one owning partner is a "rabid ducatisti.") What pisses me off is dealers not pushing the brand. Go on their website and the only way you know they sell Aprilia is the little tiny logo icon...all the other flashy adds of clothing, bikes, etc. are all Ducati.

So, as a result, they use low sales volume as the excuse to keep few parts on hand.

Don't worry, LJ, once they do get you sorted you will really fall in love with the bike and your jap-bike friends will learn what envy feels like!

Another plus side, this weather sucks for riding right now...they'll have you sorted by beautiful september, october, november riding season.... Mmmm....*drooool* cool weather riding....

2007 Tuono Factory
    Mods Thus Far:
    Woodcraft Frame sliders, Look, MV Front & Rear axle sliders, at, Evoluzione Plate Relo, the,
    Decals by CKruzel, Money, Clear Signal Lens, I, 42/15 cogs, Wasted, Cored Exhaust-Map 2, Pirelli DCIII's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast