Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the "Service" indicator to turn off?

apriliaforum Member FactoryPilot's Avatar

Getting the "Service" indicator to turn off?

Guys - I just got my 600 mile service done, and my dealer says he can't get the service indicator to turn off

Any ideas, or is this some sort of bug?
    - Steven

apriliaforum expert
    hmmmmmmm its kinda scary when a dealer doesnt read the service manual

turn the key on and hold down the - &+ keys for 15 seconds, it will seem like 20 seconds but it will work.

you may have to use a couple of pens as the buttons are kinda weird.

hope this helps

Yes, it can be kind of tricky. I had to do the procedure about 8 times before it worked. First press the +/- buttons then turn the key. Having someone else turn the key while you hold in the buttons may help.
    Aprilia RSV1000
    CRF450R SuperMoto
    R1200GS

apriliaforum Member FactoryPilot's Avatar
    LOL - I agree Clarkie..

I'll give it a shot. He mentioned what the technique was, but just couldn't get it to work for whatever reason.

Thanks for the help gents ...
    - Steven

apriliaforum prov-nov
    factory pilot, I still can't get my service light off. I posted your same message a while back, tried all solutions and nothing has worked. Two different dealers could not turn the thing off. They e-mailed Aprilia(both) to find out what to do, so I know Aprilia knows about it. They said they might have to send a new computer(dash) under warranty.

Thanks,
    Mike

apriliaforum prov-nov veloceboy's Avatar
    I've heard that some of the dashboards have rubber covering on the buttons that makes it very difficult to do this. The fix is to lift up the rubber, then follow the procedure, then stick the rubber back down. I don't know how they do that, but it may be worth looking at. From what I heard, it would be an easy fix.

vb

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm about to take a hammer and break my dash service light out!! I can't stand things that don't work especially when you pay $17000.00 for them.

Lightbulb RESET SERVICE LIGHT for 04 RSV 1000

I was able to finally reset the SERVICE light on my 2004 RSV 1000 R. This is how I did it. First I turned the engine on and started it and at the same time held the + and - buttons and continued to to hold the buttons waited a least 20 seconds. I then turned the engine off then turned it back on, but did not start it, keep in mind that I still have the + and - buttons pressed and held throught out this procedure. Another 15 seconds past and I continued to hold the + and - buttons and finally the SERVICE light turned off. I was struggling with this for a day or two. My dealership coudn't even do it. I even e-mailed Ed from ApriliaForum / AF1 Racing, inc.
    That's the way I did it. It seems unorthodox and it sort of deviates from the manual a little bit, but it worked. I would recommend any having trouble with turning off the SERVICE light to try this. I was surprised myself.

When I picked up my bike from the dealer the speedo was reading kph and the temp was in celsius. I ended up having to use the a key to hold down the - button and a finger on the +
    Held down like it says in the manual. bingo.
    The minus button is pretty tricky....not the best design.

Randall

Talking

Can't tell you how happy you made me! Your advise actually worked! I (and my dealer) tried it using the instructions from de manual a 'million' times but it didn't work (even holding it for 60 secondes). But when I tried pushing it with two sticks and the ignition-key off, then switching it on for 20 secondes, switching it off again and after that on again for 20 secondes (all this time I pushed the two buttons) it worked!

apriliaforum expert
    I concur!!!!
    do exactly what everyone else says press before turning on for 20 seconds turn off and turn on again and within 19 seconds it will turn off!!!

It worked for me!!!!

I used 2 pens. I placed the ends of them on the - and the other on the + held it down turned the bike on for 20 sec turned it off and turned it right back on when 19 sec came too it was off.

Last edited by Dvus; 12-28-2003 at 10:13 PM.

special tool??

maybe Aprilia should come out with a special tool for this :-)

"how come the "button wrench" didn't come in the tool kit... or is this an extra.....it probably comes with the Nera"

it is made out of billet aluminum and cost $200. It takes 4-6 weeks to come in....maybe there is a special Ohlins button wrench.

apriliaforum expert
    if you look at the instructions is basically says to hold the buttons down 'at' key on, so as long as you hold the buttons down while the dash is still cycling it will work.

apriliaforum Member Trip Sanore's Avatar
    When my dealer tried to reset my service light two days ago after my 600 mile service, it reset the whole system odometer and all. They're still trying to get Aprilia to explain that! Keeps the mileage down, so I guess its not to bad a thing.
    This is my BOOMSTICK.

apriliaforum expert
    Originally posted by clarkie49
    if you look at the instructions is basically says to hold the buttons down 'at' key on, so as long as you hold the buttons down while the dash is still cycling it will work.
    Yeah I tried that never worked. The process has to be repeated twice for it to work and to ensure it does hold the buttons down for 20 sec for good measure.

Originally posted by Trip Sanore
    When my dealer tried to reset my service light two days ago after my 600 mile service, it reset the whole system odometer and all. They're still trying to get Aprilia to explain that! Keeps the mileage down, so I guess its not to bad a thing.
    They tried unhooking the battery to go around it and it did more than just reset the service display Just keep track in your mind how many miles you traveled cause you're not the only one that went through it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast