Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my SR50 wont start

my SR50 wont start

Hello

I just bought a brand new Aprilia SR50 DiTech a couple of hours ago. I drove it home and when i reached my home the scoot just died. It feels like there is no compression in the cylinder. Or like its getting to little gas to go on. It does start for a very brief second with very low compression and then dies.
    Everything sound perfectly normal when i turn the ignitor, the fuel priming and the piston going up and down very smoothly. It worked perfectly all the way home. It is absolutley the best scooter ride i ever experienced and then i gave it a small quicke throtthle gas and then it just died.

I am very sad that my brand new Sr50 Ditech got like this. Does anybody know what the problem is ?

I have done some research on this site, but i have to say. It is very diffucult for me to find anything useful beacse this forum is so big.
    I found a old thread about a guy that had similar problems. He called his Aprilia dealer and they gave him the tip to pump the fuel (turn the ignitor on and of a few times?) and start the scoot when it is not on the centerstand. This to get rid of small air bubbles in the system.

Like i sad the motor start for a very brief second with very low compression and dies, if i give any throttle gas it dies immidietly.

Also, how do i check for ECU errors ? Is it in the Menu "Diagnosis?, when i enter that option i get the message "Enter the Service code" or something like that. Now i Tried 00000 but that doesnt work. And i know i have set the "system code" or whatever it is on 00000 as default.

Sorry for the bad grammar.

edit, ok so i found the Diagnosis code 45256 and i checked for ECU errors. Well, i cant read it. I dont know what Active and Memo means. Anyway, on Number 11 , on Active it says 0 and on Memo it says X. what does that mean ?

Is there a list explaining all the numbers ?
    Last edited by Sean1; 06-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.

One quick check if you havent yet. What spark plug was put into your bike. My bike was same problem and the dealer had put in some weird number and after one good ride it carboned up and wouldnt start. Max can help you will the diagnostics on the ECU etc.

This may sound stuppid ; But did you checked the fuel level ?

The Fuel i full, oil and cooling water too. I dont know what sparking plug it is in it. I really really dont feel like ripping the mechanichs out right now but i will do it if i have to. I am going to call the dealer now and check with them.

edit, Gave it another try and nothing, it wouldnt even ignite today. I called the dealer right off and they told me that sometimes air will get stuck in the injector system on the new bikes. That maybe it, i dont know. They told me that they are going to pick it up later today for service. I bought the bike from a real Aprilia Center and he felt kinda sad because he had sold me a machine that only worked for a couple of hours( not as sad as me for buying it ).
    Man I was really hoping for a ride in this nice weather here in Sweden, the summers are so short and now i have to wait for them to service my scoot. man!
    Last edited by Sean1; 06-12-2008 at 03:56 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    When you turn the key on, could you hear the fuel pump priming? It makes a loud rumbling sound for a few seconds and then stops.
    Im a HONDARACER and I go real fast
    I got a cute bike and it really hauls azz
    If you see me on the trail you better stay back
    Cause Im a HONDARACER!

Hello!

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Aprilia Center called me today (same day the picked up the scoot) and told me that everything was fine and that it was only the fuel pump that had broken. They replaced it and the scoot started up in one push. They also told me they are going to deliver the bike tomorrow at noon. Yay!

Thats what i call Service!

Awesome dealer service! Congrats, and hopefully no more problems for the next 10,000 miles. Enjoy the ride tomorrow!
    2006 Ditech Spiderman 2 versionw/Malossi 70cc BBK on Morini based motor, polished piston(top), Malossi ECU, , Malossi VL12 reed cage w/stock stuffer, Xenon HID H8 light kit hgsrMalossi 7g rollers, Polished roller channels on variator, NGK PMR8A spark plug indexed from injector spray Malossi White Contra spring, LeoVince ZX Chromed, Factory Paoli Racing shock, Mobil1 Racing 2T Synthetic oil, Ferado Brake Pads Amsoil Synthetic gear oil Gorilla Alarm System Deltran Battery Tender 145lb mule Elevation: 105ft (44M)

apriliaforum newb
    hello iv got an aprilla sr 50 ditech that wont start the injector and the spark plug work but still wont start any ideas ???

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_e_z View Post
    hello iv got an aprilla sr 50 ditech that wont start the injector and the spark plug work but still wont start any ideas ???
    Chez,

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find a lot of very useful information both in the Stickys and in past posts (you can use the Search function to track down specific questions) and of course the members here are a great source of information!!

Having said all that, in order to help answer your questions, we will need more information about your SR50.

Things such as:
    Where do you drive your bike (i.e. USA, Canada, UK, the moon, etc.)
    Year of the bike,
    How many miles on the bike,
    Type of spark plug you are using (i.e. NGK ZMR7AP, CPR8E, etc.),
    Any mods that have been done (i.e. waster trap, different contra spring, etc),
    Any ECU error codes, and if so, which one(s),

The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to provide you with possible answers to your problems/issues.

Oh, when you do receive an answer to your question(s), please let us know how it worked (or didn’t work as the case may be).

Again, welcome aboard!
    Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

apriliaforum newb

My aprillia sr 50 ditech wont start

Hi. I just bought a new battery for my bike due to the old one being dead. But after i fitted my new battery i found out the bike wasnt starting. when i turn the ignition on i can hear the injection check but when i go to start it it jus makes a clicking sound. any clues on what this could be?

Thank Borths

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The clicking is probably the starter relay
    you should check that theres power going to the starter motor
    it could just be the starter motor needing to be replaced or maybe the relay itself.
    i've had the same problem with mine and replaced the starter when it was the relay LOL

Aprilia Forum Moderator High Gain Tuning's Avatar
    First, make sure your new battery has had a full charge.

Jumpering the starter relay:

The relay is a 30 amp 12v common relay that you could get at about any auto parts store. It has a rubber boot around it so it can attach to the frame where I have circled in red.

The relay should click when you pull in the brake lever and push the start switch. It is hard to hear over the starter engagement but if you hold it you should feel it click.

1. Unplug it and momentarily jumper the 2 connectors that have the large red wires going to them. The other 2 wires are what activate the relay... I think they are Orange and Blue.
    2. This bypasses the relay and the starter will crank as long as it is Jumpered

Jumpering the starter directly:

1. Follow the single wire up from the starter.
    2. Unplug it and jumper directly to the + of the battery.
    3. Make sure the ground wire that attaches to the left side of the engine block is secure or it will not have a ground.

apriliaforum newb
    OK thanks alot i will try that later. How long would you recommend i charge my battery for?

thanks borths07

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Quote Originally Posted by borths07 View Post
    OK thanks alot i will try that later. How long would you recommend i charge my battery for?

thanks borths07
    That will depend on several things. Like at what type of charger you are using and how much current (in amps) is being applied by the charger to the battery.

Most new chargers and battery tenders today will monitor the batteries voltage and shut off when the battery reaches its desired voltage. But in most cases, the battery will need 4 to 6 hours on a trickle charger. The higher the charging amps being applied, the less time you will need. But be careful! It is possible to over charge a battery (rare given today’s chargers. But it does happen), watch for signs of this, like a VERY warm to hot battery to the touch, battery fluid “cooking” off and even swelling of the battery. Also only charge in a well ventilated location as the charging process gives off very dangerous (explosive as well as not being to good to breath in) fumes!!

Prior to charging the battery, make sure it is clean and dry. Use a mild solution of baking soda and warm water to clean the battery surface (make sure that the battery cell tops are in place and secure) and let dry. There are also commercial spray-on cleaners available. Then make sure that the batteries fluid is at the proper level before you start to charge the battery and again when you complete the charging. If you need to add water, DO NOT use tap water!! There are way too many impurities in city tap water that will end up shortening the batteries life. Use only distilled water to top up your battery. When the battery is fully charged, and you have it all hooked up in your scoot, apply a small amount of Vaseline to the terminals to protect them and prevent corrosion.

You may also want to invest in a good battery tender. Many come with a cable that you can attach to the battery and then have the cable end either mounted somewhere on your scoot or loosely in the tool compartment. Then you only need to pull the cable out and attach it to the Battery Tender and your good to go! I tend to hook mine up daily in the early spring and again in the fall time to maintain a good charge.

If you don’t all ready have one, you may want to get a volt meter (Multi Meter) to check the batteries voltage when not in your scoot, and a battery fluid tester (Battery Hydrometer, READ the instruction on its use!!!). The battery hydrometer will check the specific gravity of the batteries fluid and give you a good indication of the individual battery cells (and the battery over all) ability to hold a charge. Be careful when doing this test as you are testing battery acid!! I would keep a bowl of lukewarm water with baking soda in it handy. If you get any on your skin, apply the solution right away and it will help to neutralize the acid. Then seek medical attention! You should wear gloves that are designed to work around batteries.

If you have a 2005 or newer SR50, the Digidash can tell you the batteries voltage both before you start it up and while the scoot is running.

Good luck!

Last edited by Grenadiers; 02-08-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1 View Post
    Hello!

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Aprilia Center called me today (same day the picked up the scoot) and told me that everything was fine and that it was only the fuel pump that had broken. They replaced it and the scoot started up in one push. They also told me they are going to deliver the bike tomorrow at noon. Yay!

Thats what i call Service!
    Another bad '09 fuel pump. Can anyone confirm if aprilia has made a design change??
    [SIZE="1"]2009 SR50-R Factory Piaggio Purejet
    Leo Vince ZX, Ceramic Coated w/Carbon Silencer
    NGK ZMR7AP (.032in) Indexed
    Malossi VL13 Carbon Reed Block
    Multivar 2000, 6.5gr. Rollers
    White Contra w/Malossi TC (clutch & driven side)
    Derestricted Reed Cage & ECU (2.8.0)
    HG Fuel Pump Fix
    Top Speed on Flat: 54mph
    Stainess Hardware

1999 SR50-LC Harada Replica Minarelli
    Arrow Extreme w/Ti Silencer
    Malossi Multivar w/6.0gr Rollers
    Malossi Fly Clutch w/Yellow Springs
    Malossi White Contra & TC (clutch side)
    Malossi Wing Bell
    Malossi Special Belt
    BGM Pro R1 Gas Shock