Thread: Where does the gear oil go?

Where does the gear oil go?

Stupid question, but where do I put in new gear oil?
    Eric G.
    Los Angeles, CA

2007 KTM 950 SM-R
    2008 Aprilia SXV 5.5 (sold)
    2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory (sold)
    2007 Ducati Multistrada 1100S (sold)
    2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S (sold)
    2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol (sold)
    2006 BMW R1200RT (sold)
    2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
    2006 Kawi ZX-636R (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by efgalen View Post
    Stupid question, but where do I put in new gear oil?
    The filler plug for the gear box is about 10cm above your rear break lever...

http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/guide:pr...ange-procedure
    Last edited by RobertM; 05-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.

The oil go into the oil tank by the head tube. The tranny oil goes in at the right side towards the front of the motor.

I would suggest that you do a search on oil changes. These bikes are a little different on the steps you have to take to change the oil. It is worth your time and will cause you less headaches in the long run.

Also did you check or polish you FCV?
    02 Aprilia RSV1000
    07 Aprilia RXV 550
    06 KTM 525XC
    06 KTM 950 ADV S
    07 KTM 525EXC

AMA, BRC, D36, CORVA, IMBA, STM

Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person. Never argue with an idiot, no one can tell the difference.

CAL550 for Prime Minister

King of Dirt 2009

Magoo is my Hero

Drain plugs on left side of bike, below shift lever.

Oil drain is Allen head towards front of bike, trans is one closer to rear of bike.

oh, hey guys....I did my first oil change on my own this weekend at the track. (yeayee for me!! Hehehe) I followed directions on *XV forum which was great. But question: I did exact amounts, but oil wouldn't come up in site tube... Added 50cc, rode bike, checked running/hot and was about perfect.... What amount do you guys recommend? 1150cc, 1250cc... What amount do you guys put in?

Quote Originally Posted by slickkitty View Post
    Drain plugs on left side of bike, below shift lever.

Oil drain is Allen head towards front of bike, trans is one closer to rear of bike.

oh, hey guys....I did my first oil change on my own this weekend at the track. (yeayee for me!! Hehehe) I followed directions on *XV forum which was great. But question: I did exact amounts, but oil wouldn't come up in site tube... Added 50cc, rode bike, checked running/hot and was about perfect.... What amount do you guys recommend? 1150cc, 1250cc... What amount do you guys put in?
    What do you mean by 'perfect'? If you mean that it was on 'Max' then you've put in too much.

Put in 1250cc.

Don't worry about the sight tube. When you've run the bike for 10 minutes, stop the engine, wait a minute, then have a look at the sight tube. If the oil is on the 'Min' mark then it's OK. If it's more than 25mm or 1" above the 'Min' mark then you've probably put in too much.

Transmission, put in 525cc. Don't bother with the transmission oil level bolt. Best to lockwire it up and forget about it because if you do use it then it can come loose and transmission oil can leak out while you're racing all over your rear tyre!

<edit>See the link I've put on my sig. below.</edit>

When I put the slipper clutch in, 525cc.

Sorry, "perfect" was about 1/4 inch above max on sight tube.

Thanks Irie!!

Pefect directions, thanks Irie.

now I just have to figure out the FCV thingy.... :0)

I've done it a few times. It's funky.. You remove that huge hex nut, and just wait..

A few minutes later, you'll see the piston come out along with the spring. I ordered a few extra, but I haven't touched the FCV since I got my bike back from the shop. That was about 3 oil-changes ago.

slick (and others) I suggest doing a search for the oil sight tube mod, that cal550 posted up
    #1 Forum Mod Pisser-Offer

Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slickkitty View Post
    Pefect directions, thanks Irie.

now I just have to figure out the FCV thingy.... :0)
    The FCV has a thread inside it so if you poke a threaded bolt up inside it then pull down with sideways pressure the FCV will come out nice and easy. If the FCV piston is at all scored or worn then it's best to put a new one in because engine oil pressure is controlled by it's movement. New ones cost pennies - I buy them by the dozen and polish them before I use them. When they come out if they're scored or at all worn I throw them away otherwise I re-polish them for re-use.

Here's the modified oil tank that we have on our three engines. It's what Aprilia should have right from the start - they would have saved themselves a lot of warranty work!

If you do this to your tank you'll probably have to fit a couple of washers under the rear two bolts holding on your front fender to prevent it fouling the oil site tube which sticks out a bit further than the stock position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OilTank.jpg 
Views:	2641 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	84194