Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Shiver Useage FAQ!

I've never really had a problem finding neutral (but I did have a Tuono before and finding neutral on that was a bit of a challenge).

I have once had a false neutral light, and a couple of times have found neutral between 2nd and 3rd which is a bit of a worry on a new bike IMHO.

Ex-owner: 2007 Shiver, Aprilia screen, Tuono forks and Brembos, Hyperpro Springs F&R, 46T rear sprocket (supersprox), DNA Filter, Akrapovics, Gold wheels, Michelin Pilot Road IIs

apriliaforum newb
    I entered diagnostics code and i selected Reset coupon option - as i see this option is for resetting service interval.
    Last edited by beha; 07-03-2008 at 08:15 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Sorry to sound so Newb-ish, but I've gone through all the options that I can see (haven't done the diagnostic code yet) and cannot find a fuel gauge! *brand-new 2 days ago, from Canada*

Quote Originally Posted by KillBucket View Post
    Sorry to sound so Newb-ish, but I've gone through all the options that I can see (haven't done the diagnostic code yet) and cannot find a fuel gauge! *brand-new 2 days ago, from Canada*
    Mine does't have a fuel gauge, they probably think it's too complicated for a Canadian!! Actually I don't think anyone has one.

there is no fuel guage, only an indicator when you have a gallon or so.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandia View Post
    I think it only shows when the fuel light is on. It tells you how much you've rode since the light turned on. You should be able to ride another 30 miles before the tank runs empty.
    So for us Canucks, that would be roughly 50k's then.

Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate and just a pretty toy.

The trip is the fuel gauge.
    I (and every experienced biker) set my trip, or one of them, every time I fill up.
    I know that at 200 km I will have to fill up soon.
    I also know that when the kilometer thingy starts counting down, once the fuel light has come on to stay, I have about 40 safe km.

The fuel light can come on intermittently quite early. I've had it start lighting with 5 litres left in the tank, which could theoretically get me 80+ km further
    Makka the lurker

When the going gets weird
    the weird turn pro

I've never found need for a fuel gauge.

My ZRX had one and I never looked at it, although it was pretty accurate IIRC. But I agree they are mostly pointless.

Ex-owner: 2007 Shiver, Aprilia screen, Tuono forks and Brembos, Hyperpro Springs F&R, 46T rear sprocket (supersprox), DNA Filter, Akrapovics, Gold wheels, Michelin Pilot Road IIs

apriliaforum prov-nov shivering's Avatar

Question Twin RPMs and shifting

I know this may sound like a silly question, but Ive been driving 4 cylinder bikes for the past 4 years. After my breakin I started upping the revs, but it seems to me that the natural RPM to shift at is around 7K RPM most times at least to my ear. When I head up further toward redline I dont feel a significant increase in power there like I would obviously with a 4 cylinder.

Are most people shifting the bike around 7K RPM or am I cutting the nuts off the bike doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by shivering View Post
    I know this may sound like a silly question, but Ive been driving 4 cylinder bikes for the past 4 years. After my breakin I started upping the revs, but it seems to me that the natural RPM to shift at is around 7K RPM most times at least to my ear. When I head up further toward redline I dont feel a significant increase in power there like I would obviously with a 4 cylinder.

Are most people shifting the bike around 7K RPM or am I cutting the nuts off the bike doing that?
    The dyno graph's indicate the power building until about 8500 ish rpm, possibly 9000 rpm, which is what I think it feels like when riding (which might just be in my head, since I had already seen the dyno results prior to having the bike broken-in).

Good Luck, Steve

I change up at 6 or 7000 unless I'm "going for it".
    I would say that is about normal.
    Otherwise I agree with Sike. The bike just keeps going to 9000 if you wanna have a bit of fun.
    In fact I don't particularly notice it dropping off before it hits the limiter at 10000. You are still getting 90% of full power then.

p.s. driving is what you do in cars.
    Riding is what you do with bikes.
    Makka the lurker

the weird turn pro

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway.

After my first service, the shop changed the "warning light" (not sure about the correct name) so that when I hit 7000 rpm it starts flashing.

I've read on the forum its ok to go up to 9000rpm (I've even read that red-lining takes place at about 10,500rpm???).

My question is that, is it optimal for the bike to not go above 7000rpm (I know it can, but is it best for the bike to keep it at 7000 rpm or lower) or is damange only done when you red-line at about 10,500rpm? Or is there any damage at all to the engine at those higher revs???
    exly

2008 Aprilia SL 750 Shiver (Silver)

exly's wish list: Evotech bar ends (gold) (DONE), Rhinomoto fork and swingarm crash protectors (DONE), R&G frame sliders (DONE), OEM Tank Protector (DONE), Mike's Grille Radiator Protector (Black), Supersprox 46T sprocket, Akrapovich or Leo exhaust?, K&N air filter, Aprilia Shiver panniers, Aprilia carbon fiber parts (?), second mortgage on home to pay for it all....

Quote Originally Posted by makrand View Post
    p.s. driving is what you do in cars.
    Riding is what you do with bikes.
    I really question how many people actually "drive" their cars versus kind of sitting in them. Where as, if you don't "ride" your bike you might not be around very long (other than Hardley riders... the only riders I have ever seen with a line of cars behind them waiting to pass).

Steve

apriliaforum prov-nov shivering's Avatar

Smile Lever Adjustments

I thought the clutch was too long and the front brake too soft. The dealer gave me the bike with both lever adjustments set to "2".

I set front brake to 1 and it took the squish out, and set the clutch to 4 to make it quick. Probably personal preference but Me likey!

For exly.

7000 is probably what they think you should have as your limit for the next 1000km.
    No need to be religious about it though.
    I did that and then at 2000km put the light up to twelve so I will never see it again.

The red line is 10,000. You cannot go over it as the limiter cuts in then.

The engine will not be damaged by revving all the way to 10,000 as much as you like but always WARM IT UP with 15 minutes or so of gentle riding from start before going for anything excessive.
    Makka the lurker

the weird turn pro

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast