Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Shiver Useage FAQ!

apriliaforum expert

Some Shiver Useage FAQ!

I figured I'd post down some things I wish I knew when I first started riding. If anyone wants to ADD to this list or "FAQ" of sorts please reply and I'll add it. Not for nothing but the manual doesn't do the BEST job of explaining everything!

Please take Maka's Shiver Problems Poll by clicking here. I'm going to try to extrapolate the poll results and see if I can find any common threads because some of us have been told by dealers that "This is limited to X Year bike or Bikes from X Country, etc. etc."

Warnings!:
    The starter MAY STICK: This just recently happened to me on my bike. After you start up the bike you will hear a very high pitched *Whirring* noise. If you hear that noise grab the right side of your starter and pull it back gently and if you feel a *click* and the noise stops you just saved yourself some time in the shop!
    Here's an In Depth Look at the starter issue
    Shiver Recall!:
    Check out this Bulletin to see if your Shiver is affected!
    http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public...n/014-2008.pdf

Contacting Aprilia in the USA:
    Piaggio US customer care: (212) 380-4400 (direct #)

Customer Service: (800) 631-1101 (older #, still active) / (866) 232-0033

Email: customercare@piaggiousa.com

Changing the HUD:

• To get to the Menu: Note this will only work if you are not moving! Keep pressing left or right on the Mode switch. As it cycles through all the modes eventually you will get to the menu. Then press the mode switch IN like a button and it will open the menu options.
    • Change KM/h to MPH?: Step by Step instructions from Wolf7!
      OK, here it is - I have been through this process and it is certainly the way it works on my bike (3 map setup):
      1) In the menu select the 'Diagnostics' option.
      2) Fill in the Dealer's service centre code.
      3) There are a number of options (one of which is change language - you should probably leave that one alone) but maybe use it when you get a mate's Shiver by itself... :-)
      4) Scroll down to an option - can't remember what it's called, but it's clearly to do with KMH/ MPH. Think it was the last on the list.
      5) Select and change.
      6) Exit.

Rider Operating Tips:
    • Where do I get the Tri-Map?!: I'll do a listing by state in the post below this one!
    • Changing Maps:You can tell if your bike has the Tri-Map upgrade by checking to see if you have an R, T, or S as illustrated below:

Here are the instructions with the help of Makrand:
      First, start engine, or if already started make sure throttle is closed. Wait five seconds after engine start press starter button for a second or two until black flashing box around map symbol, then keep pressing the starter button fairly quickly until the map you want is up. Leave until it stops flashing. You CAN do this while you are moving and in gear but you must make sure the THROTTLE IS CLOSED!
    • Different Maps Dyno'd!: Here is a thread where AF1 Dynos the three different maps as well as the Shiver against other bikes!
    • Shifting Into Neutral: Shift while you are rolling as it is much more difficult to shift into neutral while stopped! I also find it's easier to tap down slightly while in second as opposed to tapping up while in first.
    • Fuel Light(from Maka):The fuel light first comes on very early but then goes on and off for a while. It only stays solid and starts the count UP of miles/kilometers done when you are getting close to fill-up time.
      I have done 40 kilometers a few times on the counter but then only got half a litre of fuel in so I wouldn't risk doing more. 50 would really be pushing your luck.
      I usually get the solid light on at about 180 to 200 km. That's "normal" riding around the place. Not racing but I don't dawdle either.

Things to Check For[*]Make sure your circlips are still attachted(Tip from Perfect): These are important as they keep your brake and clutch lever from falling apart. Here is a picture of a lever missing it's criclip!
    . For more details and images please see perfects thread here.
    [*]First Service: Make sure they check your valves! Even if they try to tell you that this is not part of the first service schedule it anyway!

Lowering Your Shiver: In order to lower your shiver you must lower the front forks at the triple clamp and make sure you lower the rear end equally. Ensure that when you are lowering the front you count the same number of rings on either side of the fork. If you do not keep both ends of the bike equal it could result in a loss of stability as the front will turn much sharper.
    Some notes:
    • Dampening, Compression, Rebound on the front fork are not adjustable
    • You will lose ground clearance when you make this adjustment so you will not be able to lean as much

Programming your key without going to the dealer
    This is the process to program your key after your dealer gives you a blank and you get a new one cut. (Ranieri)
    1.Insert old key.
    2.Go to diagnostics in Menu and key in 12398 in Service Code. (Dorsoduro 98789)
    3.Go to Change Key.
    4.Key in your code if you have one and it will programme up to four keys.
    As I snapped my spare two months ago I can finally relax as I now have a spare!

Doing your own Valve Check!
    Valve Checks - Thanks PeteMoss!

Shiver Accessories:
    Adjustable Front Shock: No Adjustable front shock is available yet. Once it's available I'll be sure to post some info here.
    Stock Horn: The stock horn is pretty quiet.
    Here is a list of everyone AF1 sells for the Shiver . There are some parts in there as well but I don't know of anyway to just list the accessories feel free to correct me if there is a better link!

First Service: Make sure your valves are checked and adjusted!

Side Notes
    ABS Light: There is an ABS light on the dash, but currently the Shiver does not come with ABS. This is probably just a cost reduction measure so they can put the same dash on all the bikes. (Thanks nostatic!)
    Last edited by Steve / AF1 Racing; 03-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    [*] Where do I get the Tri-Map?!: Please note if your state isn't listed then that means nobody has identified any dealers with it in your state!

USA:

California:
    Los Angeles
    Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine

New Jersey:
    Belleville
    Motorcycle Mall

Texas:
    AF1 (Do I even have to say it? Best service!)
    AF1 Racing, inc / ApriliaForum.com
    699 W San Antonio St
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    toll free:877-626-3966 direct:830-626-3966 fax:830-626-3969

Washington
    Seattle area
    Moto International
    Last edited by Brackstone; 06-24-2008 at 12:51 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks for the info Maka I updated my post.

Pleasure.
    Me too!
    Makka the lurker

When the going gets weird
    the weird turn pro

Note that you must be standing still to get the menu to come up.

Starting - check to make sure the starter switch has not stuck in the down/on position after starting.

Horn - yes, it really does sound that wimpy. Replace with Strebel Nautilus or other aftermarket horn (pics/install thread?).

ABS Light - there is an ABS light on the dash, but currently the Shiver does not come with ABS.

apriliaforum expert
    *bumping* this as I updated with the Starter Sticking and Front Fork info.

Does it make sense to make this one sticky?
    Hello forum operator?
    Are you there?
    What do you think?

Bloody 'ell, that was quick.
    Last edited by makrand; 05-16-2008 at 04:26 AM.
    Makka the lurker

the weird turn pro

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks for stickying this!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Another trick for getting the elusive Shiver neutral.... as the gearbox breaks in I've also had success (on the Shiver and Japanese bikes as well) with letting the clutch out (while stopped) just enough to "load" the gears, then trying neutral again. Remember to cover the brake when you do this so the bike doesn't creep. I hope I explained this well enough and that it helps some guys with getting into neutral.

Also make sure you always have the clutch in when you start.

Just because it says it's in neutral...

Somtimes when i start from cold, while in gear and clutch in the bike creeps forward its quite weird.

Uh. Nobody has listed the service code?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper;
    Uh. Nobody has listed the service code?

I didn't list it since this forum is sponsored by a dealer and I wasn't sure if they would be comfortable with the code being listed here. I'm sure Aprilia doesn't tell dealers "Go ahead and give out the code anyway you can".

If they say it's OK I'll add it to the FAQ.

I can't see what harm it can do? It can certainly help a lot as it means that customers can at least examine the current and stored error codes which will will allow their dealer to start making preliminary diagnoses before a bike arrives if it breaks down. You can't do anything harmful with the diagnostic funcions the dash posesses.

Pete

This is great mate.
    Fantastic idea and working well.
    Love the tri-map by state.
    You're a champ.
    Makka the lurker

the weird turn pro

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast