Thread: How to read this feeler gauge?

apriliaforum expert

How to read this feeler gauge?

They have two numbers on each gauge and they are interlaced with the next highest gauge too. Eg. (not sure about the numbers off the top of my head)
    gauge 1: .004 / .006
    gauge 2: .005 / .007
    gauge 3: .006 / .008
    gauge 4: .007 / .009

So lets say 4 doesn't fit, but 3 does fit. So is the value .006, .007, or .008?
    Last edited by willpower101; 04-16-2008 at 10:22 PM.

How old is that gauge? Is it a cheap one? I've never seen one that has that much variation for a single gauge. I'd get rid of it and get one that has one measurement for each gauge or one that has a corresponding metric measurement as well as the SAE measurement on it. .....sean

Equilibrium: The point at which the volume of wind noise equals the volume of engine noise.

apriliaforum expert
    i corrected my values to the actual ones on the gauges. They do have metric as well, but still two values for each gauge in mm as well as in.

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    Is the end of the gauge thinner than the body? It sounds like a set of GO/NO-GO gauges, with a .002 tolerance.

example: If the tip of #3 would fit into a gap, but the shank would not fit, the gap is between .006 and .008, checked with one tool.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

must be some sort a redneck feeler gauge!!!!
    You think what you want about me, I'm not changing. I...I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. (John Candy TPA)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by naimchase View Post
    Is the end of the gauge thinner than the body? It sounds like a set of GO/NO-GO gauges, with a .002 tolerance.

example: If the tip of #3 would fit into a gap, but the shank would not fit, the gap is between .006 and .008, checked with one tool.
    Ah ha! It is! Thanks, now I can use these things properly.

must be some sort a redneck feeler gauge!!!!
    Wrong. Only expensive feeler gauges are go/no go. Most are in .001" (or metric equivelent) increments.
    I have a set of Starret's in .0005" steps. They weren't cheap.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club

Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase

apriliaforum expert
    the go/no go rung a bell. I called my friend (who bought them and left them over here) and he said that's what he thought those were because autozone said that was the best type to get. I alwasy wondered why only part of the gauge would fit under the lobe.