Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Problems!!!!

apriliaforum newb

Clutch Problems!!!!

I just purchased a used Aprilia. It is a 2002 RSV 1000 R Mille, the lady I bought the bike from told me that she had just had a shop install a new clutch, tires, etc. The clutch appears to be very stiff, and hot or cold it will not go into neutral with the engine running, I am forced to hold that strong clutch in at every red light, very aggravating. there are no external adjustments for the clutch that I can see. Also, with the bike running, if I pull in the clutch, and shift into first to take off, or when I am sitting at a red light holding the clutch, the bike tries to lurch forward, it wants to go, this tells me that the clutch is not disengaging all the way. PLEASE HELP.

clutch woes

hey chris,
    there are lots of people that have had your same issue. use the search engine function andyou will find lots of info on the topic. first of you may just need to bleed the hydraulic system, then be on your way. posts from KZMille will give you step by steps. if this doesn't fix you up, you need to have it professionally looked at unless you have some skills and experience to recognize what ever part has failed. there really aren't any adjustments to make, other than the pin at the lever, so look and try the bleed. let us know what you come up with.
    marco.

HI Chris and welcome!
    I'm sure that you will get one of 2 things or both! They are
    1. The Un official......official welcome!
    2. Be direted in no uncertain terms to the tech tips and search function!

But hey welcome, usung the above mentioned search function search for :
    a Clutch
    b Bleeding clutch
    c. Clutch plates.

as Marco mentioned KZ did a extensive write up on the clutches and bleeding method.

Good luck and welcome again!

Ally

99' RSV "The Bitch" #063

[B]Carbon fairing and tail! Blue printed Engine, 54mm tb's, twin Carbon Akrapovic race, Aprilia Akrapovic WSBK Chip, Gillies clip on's and rearsets,Ohlins (RT) front and (PRCLS46) rear suspension, Wave disks, Hel brake and clutch lines, Evo clutch cylinder, Barnett clutch, Evo plug leads with Denso Iridium plugs, 16/44 sprockets, EVO Billet velocity stacks, EVO Airbox, LED rear light and indicators,sticker by AF1

96 RS 125 Extrema Biaggi rep

apriliaforum expert gtpandrsvrguy's Avatar
    Lurching forward; not normal with Mille. HEAVY finger killing clutch; normal on mille.

Many people buy the evo slave that reduces pressure required to engage clutch leaver by 25% ( I think )

I took me a few months but I got used to it. No more sore hands.

apriliaforum newb

Still Not disengaging

Well despite my best efforts and research about the problem, come to find out, it is a common characteristic of the Hydraulic clutch to be stiff and not disengage fully when brand new. I have bleed it, and bleed it, I know I do not have any air in the system whatsoever, and I feel much better about the dreaded black fluid in the resevoir (although it will probably become black again in no time at all). I guess I can live with the fact that I will just have to hold the clutch at a light, or try to go into neutral from second, which I seem to be getting pretty good at. Well thanks for all that help guys. Next step, DE-RESTRICTION. Can you believe it, my bike as old as it is, and having been raced, is still not fully de-restricted.

Thanks again.

one more tidbit

the lever effort my seem stiff,,,,,matter of opinion in my eyes, but a clutch that isn't damage shouldn't be that brutal to get ino neutral. no silky like a Jap, but not too hard. one thing that has been mentioned, and i have done this to both my bikes and it does work, is to replace the clutch oil supply jet with one from an 06 and later bike. the old one is a 70 or 75 nd the new one is a 40. this made finding neutral MUCH easier on both of my units. try it out, AF1 usually has them in stck.
    marco

It is easier if you get into the habit of finding neutral before you come to a complete stop, especially when cold.

apriliaforum newb

Clutch problems again

It would appear that shortly after I bleed my clutch it likes to let up right at the end of Clutch lever travel, I wonder if I did more harm than good.

Did the previous owner have a Barnett installed? I've experienced similar problems and on of the things I found out is that if the stock clutch was replaced with a Barnett, the stack height is a tiny bit too much which caused mine to drag and not to release as well as it could, same symptoms you are having. So I switched and bought an Adige set and all is well . . .
    2008 Triumph Tiger

apriliaforum expert Smoke Eater's Avatar
    Also, the Barnett springs are pretty stiff. I took them out and put the stock springs back in.

I don't even notice the clutch pull anymore.

I was trying to find a cable clutch conversion a few years ago but gave up. I like the feel of a cable over the hydro clutches.
    "The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

2002 Mille Silver
    2002 Scary 150
    1992 Ducati 900ss
    1972 TR3 350 (nearly restored)
    1966 BMW R50/2 with side hack

Second what sixfive said.......not all have the problem, but many of us have with the Barnett clutch. I'll bet you a dollar that is what was installed since it is cheaper than the stock Aprilia parts.

I installed in TWO different RSV's and had the SAME issue, so there is something out of spec with that kit I believe, didn't check the stack height because what I found seemed to be the issue. The frictions stick TOO well to the plates. I took them out and held a set like a sandwich, tried to turn them against each other with very light pressure and they wouldn't budge, it was like they were frigin glued together. While grip is good, this is over kill, even when hot it would still never completely disengage, stalled putting it in gear, lunged at stop, etc.

Put the stock Aprilia clutch in with the Barnett springs, never had another issue.

Just my two cents worth......
    www.sportbiketracktime.com - Get on the right track!
    Speed Twin Racing.........if you can't ride it fast, than what's the point?!?!?

My 2000(eu) is also lurching forward when totaly cold and neutral is hard to find. But when it heats up a little in about 1-2km it all goes to normal. I bled the brakes and this still happens. So I reckon its normal , maybe just now in this (still) very cold weather.

She uses motul v300 15w50

apriliaforum expert Smoke Eater's Avatar
    Another possibility.

It's been said that you need to have all the plates in the same direction meaning chamfered side in or side out. If they were all chamfer in and then switched when the clutch was changed then the wear marks on the basket might be hanging the plates slightly.

Just a thought.
    "The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

2002 Mille Silver
    2002 Scary 150
    1992 Ducati 900ss
    1972 TR3 350 (nearly restored)
    1966 BMW R50/2 with side hack

apriliaforum newb

Clutch

Come to find there is in fact a Barnett clutch in my bike, the lady I got it from told me that she had just had the clutch redone and the shop she had do it installed a Barnett. So this is normal then, I will just have to try and find the stock clutch springs and put those back in the bike, hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thank you all.

apriliaforum newb
    My bike lurched when cold, and could never find N at stoplights cold or hot. Evo slave, barnett clutch, oem clutch, mix and matching barnett/oem springs didn't make any change; Changing oil jets from 70/60 to 40 was the difference between night and day. My 2 cents..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast