Thread: Service Question Compendium

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    awesome sticky ..great info
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

apriliaforum newb
    I apologize if this isn't the right place exactly for this but since the original post does not link to a specific thread,
    My 2010 1000R runs like shit once it gets super hot. I live in southern Arizona, so this is difficult to avoid. If I get stuck in traffic and finally get to accelerate, the fueling or something seems to get messed up. As the revs climb, the bike's pull is suddenly gone, comes back, and pulls again. Scary when you want to haul ass out of a corner and don't realize this is going to happen (potential for a highside..).

Is this symptomatic that I should swap to map2 and core my pipes? Or must I just live with it and avoid the bike getting too hot? Would only swapping to map2 help? I ask that since the wife would prefer it stayed quiet.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by vadicus View Post
    I apologize if this isn't the right place exactly for this but since the original post does not link to a specific thread,
    My 2010 1000R runs like shit once it gets super hot. I live in southern Arizona, so this is difficult to avoid. If I get stuck in traffic and finally get to accelerate, the fueling or something seems to get messed up. As the revs climb, the bike's pull is suddenly gone, comes back, and pulls again. Scary when you want to haul ass out of a corner and don't realize this is going to happen (potential for a highside..).

Is this symptomatic that I should swap to map2 and core my pipes? Or must I just live with it and avoid the bike getting too hot? Would only swapping to map2 help? I ask that since the wife would prefer it stayed quiet.

Thank you in advance!
    What is temp gauge reading? Maybe time for new coolant?

apriliaforum newb
    it never goes above 212 since the fans work exceptionally well, and the coolant is new. Its just when its above 200 for an extended period of time, these symptoms happen.

apriliaforum expert
    Hello, Arizona here as well. Several of us are planning a track day on Oct 23rd at Indie, which is near Tucson if you're interested in joining us.

About the heat, you're lucky as I cannot keep the bike below 230 in b2b traffic in the Phoenix area when its hot as hell outside. Nature of the beast. As to your specific problem, I cannot comment as I don't have that issue when it gets hot.

But from your description it sounds like either your oil has broken down beyond recognition or your clutch is slipping. When was the last time you changed your oil? Have you checked your clutch fluid to make sure it's not low or any leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by vadicus View Post
    it never goes above 212 since the fans work exceptionally well, and the coolant is new. Its just when its above 200 for an extended period of time, these symptoms happen.
    Very odd indeed. Seems like its running cool.

apriliaforum newb
    I never considered clutch slippage. That would be so annoying to investigate.. Would improper clutch bleeding contribute to that? I change the oil every 3-4K miles, usually closer to 3. I'm at about 2k right now.

apriliaforum expert
    Yes, improper clutch bleeding will lead to inconsistent clutch engagement. I know these are Italian bikes, but KISS principle still applies. Start with what ever it is you messed with (if anything), the problem started when you messed with it. From there work backwards from the most simple potential causes and rule them out as you work towards more complicated causes.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
    Yes, improper clutch bleeding will lead to inconsistent clutch engagement. I know these are Italian bikes, but KISS principle still applies. Start with what ever it is you messed with (if anything), the problem started when you messed with it. From there work backwards from the most simple potential causes and rule them out as you work towards more complicated causes.
    Short answer, improper bleeding was the culprit.

Long answer with analysis of the symptoms:

Because the clutch was improperly bled, when the lever was fully pulled, it still was like 5% still engaged (subtle/unnoticeable unless you were looking for it), which, coupled with lots of stop and go traffic around U of A, led to the clutch overheating. So as a result, when I finally was able to get moving out to faster speeds, the clutch would slip-catch-slip-catch under acceleration.

I'm just so grateful I don't need a new clutch.

Chalk another one up to the need for proper bleeding, doh..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345