Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Brown Connector Problem - Yes, we are affected

apriliaforum Member
    2008 T Factory with 10400 miles and the brown connector was intact. Swapped it out with heavy duty connectors for peace of mind.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey all, I'm brand new to Aprilias and was aware of this issue when purchasing my 2008 Tuono Factory yesterday. The bike has just under 14,000 miles and the connector looks in good shape. The connector is also in a very visible location that I can check after riding without having to remove any parts. My questions are (1) is this a 100 percent fail-rate part; and (2) does it make sense to just keep an eye on this and not otherwise mess with what is not broken? I brought my multimeter with me to see the bike. At idle, my meter read just over 14v, and when throttle was applied, it went up to about 14.3V indicating to me that the charging system works.

I'm less inclined to fix something that is not broken (especially if it is not a 100 percent fail rate part,) but am also interested in the experience of the board.

Thanks,

Steve
    Greenbelt, MD
    Last edited by juce_box; 02-13-2017 at 02:00 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    2007.5 with 16k miles, glad I found this sticky 'cause I checked and sure enough the connector above the R/R was smoked. Great forum, thanks for the tips guys!

apriliaforum Member
    Hi,if this is a 2008,then you certainly have the updated parts.
    Even if it's an older model,not all connectors fail,just check them periodically
    Don't worry,and ride the thing

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by geobarb777 View Post
    Hi,if this is a 2008,then you certainly have the updated parts.
    Even if it's an older model,not all connectors fail,just check them periodically
    Don't worry,and ride the thing
    Thanks!

I appreciate the quick feedback. That's what I was thinking, but I also did not know that the 08s had updated parts. Sometimes I think looking at forums gives me a false sense of reality, much like looking at WebMD for a cough will lead me to believe that I should drop dead at any moment.

After the bike has been running a while wrap your hand around the connector and feel if it is hot. Check the wires on each end for heat. If there is any heat you have a problem.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks. BTW, where in N. Florida are you from? I lived in Jax from '96-'07. I rode a '02 Honda 919 down there from '02-07.

apriliaforum newb
    checked mine, both brown connectors look ok so far, i do not drive my tuono in wet condition though... (22000 km)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	327940
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	327941
    Last edited by poool_cz; 03-05-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Mine looked just like that but was getting hot as were the wires and thus causing a voltage loss.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum newb
    For those of you who have replaced two brown connectors, did you use 16 gauge stranded wire or 14 gauge? In Joe's fix, he indicates 16 gauge; a couple of other posts indicate 14 gauge. I just completed replacing my two brown connectors even though they looked fine. I used 16 gauge wire extensions. After completing the job, I counted the strands in the yellow wires between the two connectors replaced. Of course they are 14 gauge. Will the 16 gauge be okay? Or do I need to replace with 14 gauge? Pulling the wires to the left side of the bike was an absolute pain. Am dreading having to do that again if not necessary. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Appears most members on this forum are rather inactive as no reply to the above. I have redone the wiring project using 14 gauge stranded wire. Having done some research, it seems 14 gauge wire is capable of carrying twice the amperage as a 16 gauge wire (roughly 40 amp versus 20 amp). I vaguely recall someone posting in this thread that each of the three wires running from the alternator to the voltage regulator/rectifier carry roughly 30 to 35 amps at higher RPM. If someone reading thru this entire thread is late to the party as I am about proactively (or even retroactively!) eliminating the brown connectors, I strongly encourage you to use 14 gauge stranded wire. The fix that Joe posted yrs ago and is a sticky should be corrected to reflect using 14 gauge rather than the 16 gauge as he indicates. My two-cents worth!
    Last edited by mcenthusiast; 09-28-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo

apriliaforum newb
    Checked my 09 today and brown connector was ok but, adjacent one had issues with some wires poorly connected so re-jointed. Crap wiring

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819