Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R&G crash protectors

nik_codling

R&G crash protectors

Hi all!

I've been doing a few searches for posts about R&G crash protectors, and I see there are mixed opinions about them. Personally, I've had a couple of accidents where the damage would have been much worse without them, so I think they're good insurance.

They look like a PITA to fit though! Anyone here fitted them? Got any pics of what they look like installed? Any tips on installation?

cheers,

Nik

Follow the directions. Get a hole cutting bit for your drill. For marking the inside of the fairing take a Q-Tip and wrap one end with tape - insert the taped end into the mounting hole. Dip the other end of the Q-Tip in paint. Then replace the fairing. The mark on the fairing will be perfect for your pilot hole. Drill the pilot hole and double check everything before you drill with your hole bit.

I will warn you the biggest PITA is having to remove the Frame Slider before you can get the side fairings off.

Take your time - its easy!

apriliaforum prov-nov back_marker's Avatar
    If you prefer not to cut holes in your beautiful fairing though, you can go for the other type which fit on the exposed part of the frame. I didn't fit mine as they came with the bike but it looks fairly straightforward. I don't have any pics to hand right now but if you check out the gallery thread, they seem to be more popular than the other type.

The biggest drawback with them is that they are right in the way of your legs if you are paddling the bike backwards or or when you put your foot out to stop. This can be a little annoying, especially as the Falco has quite a high seat but you do get used to it, it's just a case of weighing up which you prefer.
    ...sounds like Brian Blessed on the verge of an orgasm...
    - Jeremy Clarkson

I have a full set that I installed in about 2-3 hours (if that long). The Front Set is harder to put in than the Rear Set (Like Cam said just take your time and follow the directions), but it is all pretty easy and straight forward, and the Back ones do get in the way of your legs but you will get used to them. I also have the Motovation Front Axle and Rear Spools, and the S.S. Bar End Weights.

Stock Photos:
    R & G: Front Set
    Name:  img57.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  img57_1.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  26.3 KB
    Rear Set
    Name:  img60.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  26.5 KB
    Motovation: Front Axle
    Name:  forkS_lg.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  frsvr1_lg.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  32.2 KB
    Rear Spools
    Name:  sas6_lg.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  r606_f4.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  16.4 KB
    SS Bar End Weights
    Name:  SSA_lg.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  14.3 KB
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Personally i don't want them.

I have seen several bikes that went donw with the protectors.
    All these bikes still required some serious repairs to the bodowork, mirrors, cans etc.

So eventhough they MIGHT save you for more severa damage, you still need to do extensive repairs.

This combined with the fact that they are ugly (my opinion...) keeps me from installing them.
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

Quote Originally Posted by mini_me View Post
    Personally i don't want them.

I have seen several bikes that went donw with the protectors.
    All these bikes still required some serious repairs to the bodowork, mirrors, cans etc.

So eventhough they MIGHT save you for more severa damage, you still need to do extensive repairs.

This combined with the fact that they are ugly (my opinion...) keeps me from installing them.
    I know i'm not the most graceful of ppl so I put them on to keep me from hurting anything major if I drop it in the garage or something like that.
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mini_me View Post
    Whats not to like - Black plastic tubes poking out of the fairing?

Actually, I hardly notice them and I only expect them to protect in case of 0-5 mph mishaps (so far only 1 dropsie in 13 years).

apriliaforum Junkie stromyfalco's Avatar
    dave another forum member showed me that they work when he low sided his on the track.....they burned out but did save a lot of the other expensive plastic.....

if u skid at arnd 30ish mph ...these will definatly save some skin and plastic off u.....i have a set of motivation on mine
    Indian among the Americans

Quote Originally Posted by CamDLux View Post
    Whats not to like - Black plastic tubes poking out of the fairing?
    You can never have too many things poking out!

BTW did I ever mention that I have a hard time finding a proper Helmet?

OK if i'm going offtopic, let's do it properly;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvJFEkIstU
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

They saved me from stoopid damage on the Mille when I got rear-ended last summer...woulda easily sheared off the radiator mounting tab not to mention prolly crunching the radiator itself if it wasn't for those front R&Gs.

Believe me...when you're away on a big trip like MITM or something similar, you'll thank your lucky stars for that incremental damage control that sliders provide. Finding an Aprilia radiator in Kantuckee could prove hard...
    Last edited by CarlosT; 03-11-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Where da booty at?

crash bungs are never meant to keep a bike 100% damage free! but to try and keep it rideable.. very important difference!

another client of mine brought his bike in today, after a pretty hard (!) crash on the track..

he's got R&G bungs, fork protectors, swingarm protectors and can protectors.

results:

the main bungs, axle and swingarm protectors have ground down 'till about half their length! can you imagine if that would have been the fairing, forks, cans?

damage:
    - RHS clip-on (sadly) broken, bike came down rather hard just on that.
    - 3 scuffs on the fairing side panel, smallest about 1cm x 3 cm, biggest one about 5cm x 4 cm. NO cracks in the plastic anywhere on the bike!
    - 1 on the seat side panel, about 2 by 1 cm.
    -NO damage to the akrapovic can, or öhlins forks!
    - 1 tiny (not even) scractck on the swingarm, from the inside of the can rubbing against it.
    - 1 very undeep scratch, about 1/2 cm by 2 cm on the tank.
    - NO damage to the top fairing, apart from scuffs on the wind deflector.

that would have been at least (!!) 1000 euro's worth of damage wtithout all the R&G stuff.

but yes, there are quite of couple 'all show, no go' brands of carsh protection on the market, even some that do more damage than good...
    Ride.In.Peace Jens, my dear friend!

WWW.QMS.BE !!!!!

07 rsv factory/project mayhem1... I4's for breakfast...
    07 sxv550/project mayhem2... hypermotards for dinner..... we'll skip lunch....

it's all extremely funny.....untill somebody gets hurt.....then it gets hilarious!!!!!!
    i've met the 'man in the street'..... and he's a w*nker!

nik_codling
    Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. This forum is as useful as ever!

Great pics Cam, thanks. Trick looking bike you have there - what cans and pillion pegs are they?

My view is the crash protectors will not stop all damage, but limit it. I was stupid enough to ride in to the back of a car last year, and the R&Gs saved the engine completely, and the fork protectors also did their job - forks are un-marked. The fairing was still trashed, but were it not for the fact that the front fairing was stoved in and the frame was bend behind the headstock (front-end impact) I could have ridden the bike. The protectors saved the engine, and that was worth it for me.

I got knocked off my Speed Triple a few years ago and if that hadn't had protectors the frame would have been trashed, as would the radiator. Well worth £50 just to save those two items.

Plus my girlfriend used to work for R&G and reckons she might be able to get a small discount. We're planning on collecting them on Friday afternoon, so that's Saturday sorted in the garage! That and fitting the Scottoiler. Must try and find an Abba style stand too. And order the US spec sidestand. And talk myself in to a Nitron rear shock and Power Commander....

Nik

Quote Originally Posted by nik_codling View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. This forum is as useful as ever!

Great pics Cam, thanks. Trick looking bike you have there - what cans and pillion pegs are they?
    Thanks. What you see are bits from the Aprilia Falco "Fighter kit". I am sure someone else will chime in but, the kit changed the front headlight, 1/4 belly pan, pipes, and passenger pegs. I think its pretty difficult to find. Here is the finished product: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30jan...cofighter.html

And an article too: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...x?ArticleID=40

nik_codling
    That's pretty cool, I like that. The parts like they are made by Road Racing - I recall they did a host of similar parts when I had my Speed Triple. Nice quality.

I must admit (I'm now putting on my Nomex suit) I don't really care for the look of the Falcuono or whatever you want to call it, I think it looks a bit top heavy. But the Fighter is much better.

I may as well get this out in the open as well: I don't like the Mille swingarm on a Falco, I actually prefer the OE one. There, I said it.

And high level pipes.

Now that's a weight off my mind. Apologies in advance to anyone I've offended! I'm off to hide in the corner and have stones thrown at me.

Nik

apriliaforum prov-nov back_marker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nik_codling View Post
    That's pretty cool, I like that. The parts like they are made by Road Racing - I recall they did a host of similar parts when I had my Speed Triple. Nice quality.

I must admit (I'm now putting on my Nomex suit) I don't really care for the look of the Falcuono or whatever you want to call it, I think it looks a bit top heavy. But the Fighter is much better.

I may as well get this out in the open as well: I don't like the Mille swingarm on a Falco, I actually prefer the OE one. There, I said it.

And high level pipes.

Now that's a weight off my mind. Apologies in advance to anyone I've offended! I'm off to hide in the corner and have stones thrown at me.

Nik
    That's it mate, get it all off your chest. I have to agree with you on most of that as well, for the record.
    ...sounds like Brian Blessed on the verge of an orgasm...
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast