Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just some thought on the RSV successor

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The RSVR is hardly outdated for the street rider... but a five year life cycle for a competitive sport bike is reaching Grandfather status. The Jap bikes seeing life cycles now shorter than 2 years. I agree with many of you that it will be sad to see the Rotax v60 go. But it has it's limitations... the close angle crowds the cylinders. The L90 has more potential, less imbalance, is harder to package... but still has limitations. IMHO the V4 is the best configuration... the sound unmistakably unique, power and torque everywhere, and a better choice for a competitive bike. There is a reason there are only two I-4's, zero twins and zero triples in MotoGP, the highest form of two wheel competition. IMO where the RSVR shines is on the street. Cost will be the V4's downfall. If you want a sporting V4 you currently only have two options. 1.) Desmosedici (at 72k USD and limited production) lets be honest... for most of us (unless your Tom Cruise) you won't have one in your garage any time soon. 2.) The Honda VFR800 Interceptor... fantastic bike but lets face it, 100hp at the rear wheel and 500+ lbs ain't gonna cut it. Aprilia has the ability to get it's new V4 to the market before anyone, however, all Honda has to do is release a new 1000cc V4 RC or RVF for a fraction of the price and Noale is in trouble.

ihilker you have some good arguments there. Jap bikes change quite often but general layout isnt changed that much realy. They want to follow fashion and the publics thirst for the latest. Look at how little Ducati changed their 916, even in WSB. That had a pretty long lifespan . But anyway you might be right and it may very well need a redesign. Regarding the V60 it certainly has its limitations but Rotax and everybody knew that from the begining, its hard facts, but still it had its strong points and thats compactness and the freedom of placement in a frame. That can do up for the loss of power, if its good enough. You can see that KTM are thinking in these lines with their new RC8 with a V75. What I think is that a herritage has been built with the Rotax V60 mill, and I know that some in Noale are thinking in these lines too. It is a concern, and Aprilia are in doubt about what to do with the RSV! It is a hell of a bike and Aprilias first big bike. It is plain and simple, motorcycle history Just upgrade it with bigger bore, and dont make it a super tourer Then (or now!) focus on their new adventure, the V4 which I believe is the way to go. BTW hondas V4 racers has never been cheap, actually quite pricey

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234