Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cored Pipes. How did you do it?

Not sure about 40%-60%

Based on the posted photo from the first page. Metal Sheeting is sold in percentage of open space, mine is 60% open. I will post up a photo shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mossback; 06-25-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    There is no better place to find good advice about life, business dealings and fear than from people who have gone through it before.

IT Services

RED 2004 RSV1000R
    PCIII usb custom map
    Full Arrow headers and Ti slipons
    Michelin Power One tires
    MotoBit's rearsets
    16\43 gearing
    F.Fabrri double bubble
    Removed Flywheel
    Showa forks with Ohlins internals - Thompson Suspension
    Ohlins Steering dampner
    Ohlins rear shock
    36,000 miles
    New timing chains.
    1:35's at Pacific raceways
    2:12's at Miller Motorsports AMA track

apriliaforum Junkie
    Edit..

Note to self: Check following pages before posting.

Mossback confirmed what I was saying.
    2005 RSV1000R
    - Cored Slip-ons
    - Dark double bubble windscreen
    - Gearing change
    - High flow filter
    - Whole lot of piss and vinegar.

Ok so i cored mine today and all i can say is WOW!!!

It almost seems surreal how well that engine barks when allowed to breathe.

A good friend rides an RC51 that had twin high mount Arrows and we both think its sounds very similar...he now has a titanium 2into1 with a tiny little Ti Ladybird pipe...needless to say as long as i ride with him i get to be the quiet one.

**Note** i tried using a drill bit for the cat but couldnt be patient enough not to break it so i rescued what was left with an air chisel and found it did a great job of removing the thing in one peice.

Good on you mate.

why did you wait so long?
    There is no better place to find good advice about life, business dealings and fear than from people who have gone through it before.

IT Services

RED 2004 RSV1000R
    PCIII usb custom map
    Michelin Power One tires
    MotoBit's rearsets
    16\43 gearing
    F.Fabrri double bubble
    Removed Flywheel
    Ohlins Steering dampner
    Ohlins rear shock
    36,000 miles
    New timing chains.

Quote Originally Posted by mossback View Post
    Good on you mate.

why did you wait so long?
    Only had the bike for three weeks...took 1 1/2 weeks to get the parts in the mail...next time i'll have a spare set kickin around haha!

apriliaforum Member

What about these?

Quote Originally Posted by mossback View Post
    Based on the posted photo from the first page. Metal Sheeting is sold in percentage of open space, mine is 60% open. I will post up a photo shortly.

I'm going to make my own, here are some snaps of some perf tube, and at the end, some stainless mesh that might be even better? 85% open?

Would that last one be suitable? Do you think it'll sound less metallic than the 60% ?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have done 3 sets of cores for local Aprilia riders and do a couple of things a bit different. I used mild steel perforated sheet stock and roll it around a mandrel. It bends quite easily, using gear clamps once I get the curve started and a rubber mallet to form the metal. I cut the cat off flush with the lower end cap, use a bimetal hacksaw blade, then used a 1/2" steel bar and hammer it in the center of the cat towards the mid pipe. Once the center is hammered out the cat can be unwound like an accordion. The cores I made where tapered and where about 70 mm in diameter at the mid pipe end and sit in the taper and the other end goes around the end cap inner diameter but sits in the depression on the inside so when I put the end cap on it is trapped between the end cap and the taper at the other end. The cores are tack brazed but you could also pop rivet them and if you install it with the seam up you do not see it. Used aluminum pop rivets on reassembly and they have been running for 3 years no problems and makes it way easier to repack. These have a very deep tone are loud but not in an offensive way.

Hmmmm they could work well. It would be interesting to note the difference in tone.

Also, make sure the stuffing you use is the sort that wont unwind or blow out the bigger holes.

It almost looks like the 'wires' could come appart... are they solidly stuck together?
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, stock gearing, Austin Racing GP2R pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi Top box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Flash do you have any pics of your work, I will be doing this eventually and would to know what I am doing b4 I start. Also, has anyone shortened the cans?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride View Post
    Hmmmm they could work well. It would be interesting to note the difference in tone.

Also, make sure the stuffing you use is the sort that wont unwind or blow out the bigger holes.

It almost looks like the 'wires' could come appart... are they solidly stuck together?

Educate me with the stuffing, I am new to this. I was planning on finding some stainless steel wool, and just wrapping that around it, and then some kind of muffler pack over the top of that - is that what you'd recommend?

I'm not sure if they're stuck together or not, I'll check when I get home tonight. But if they're not stuck together, then they're definately not loose - look at how straight its been cut without displacing any of the bits on the end

ps my home computer is RSV AHH my work pc is RS250 maTTz, so i'm the same guy, sorry for the confusion
    '97 Aprilia RS250 - sold

'04 Aprilia RSVR
    R&G,Rhinomoto&Woodcraft Frame Sliders
    Ohlins Adj Steering Damper

Quote Originally Posted by RS250 maTTz View Post
    ps my home computer is RSV AHH my work pc is RS250 maTTz, so i'm the same guy, sorry for the confusion
    At work just log in under the other name.. simple!

Dont use steel wool, it will make the sound harsh and NASTY.

Just get some good quality sports bike muffler packing.

I use a combo of the packing sheets, which I roll around the core and lockwire into place, then the loose packing. But the stuff that is realy long threads so they wont blow out.
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, stock gearing, Austin Racing GP2R pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi Top box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

more is not better

Quote Originally Posted by RS250 maTTz View Post
    Educate me with the stuffing, I am new to this. I was planning on finding some stainless steel wool, and just wrapping that around it, and then some kind of muffler pack over the top of that - is that what you'd recommend?

I'm not sure if they're stuck together or not, I'll check when I get home tonight. But if they're not stuck together, then they're definately not loose - look at how straight its been cut without displacing any of the bits on the end

The mesh is too open, your packing will get beaten to death by the pulses. You want something for the pulse to bounce off of to keep it flowing. The mesh is most likely heavier too. LBS = HP and it all adds up.

IT Services

RED 2004 RSV1000R
    PCIII usb custom map
    Michelin Power One tires
    MotoBit's rearsets
    16\43 gearing
    F.Fabrri double bubble
    Removed Flywheel
    Ohlins Steering dampner
    Ohlins rear shock
    36,000 miles
    New timing chains.

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    What combo will keep it on the quieter side, not looking to wake the dead just want to hear some thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperhawkLGT View Post
    What combo will keep it on the quieter side, not looking to wake the dead just want to hear some thunder.
    you almost can't have both, you can go with a smaller core say in the 58mm range but that will take some flanging to make it work with the CAT holder and exit nozzle (pre 07), if you have an 07 you'll need to get someone to tig on an adaptor for the inside of the cap (gives the perf something to hang onto.

IT Services

RED 2004 RSV1000R
    PCIII usb custom map
    Michelin Power One tires
    MotoBit's rearsets
    16\43 gearing
    F.Fabrri double bubble
    Removed Flywheel
    Ohlins Steering dampner
    Ohlins rear shock
    36,000 miles
    New timing chains.

In New Zealand we just use old beer cans and some number 8 wire... works every time!
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast