Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My Prototype Motorcycle......FX bikes beware

apriliaforum expert velocityjunky's Avatar
    just read some posts on the mountain bike forum.......so if you read this far:

yes guys it has a motor, no it is not a bicycle, but its not a big enduro bike either. its supposed to be a niche filler, a new genre if i may.

why cant we have downhill bikes, motocrossers, and something in between.
    yes, mountian bikes can do stuff that this bike cant.....but this bike can do things my KTM could never dream of, and my KTM, well itll bomb fire roads at 80mph which i never expect out of the other two.

in regards to tearing up trails, its low weight combined with the trials tire that powers it, should keep trail wear to a minimum.

as far as the smoky engine........electric motors are the future, once light batteries become mainstream, i see them being used in this application.
    Motorcycles- No better way to turn money into smoke and noise

This is an absolutely awesome project!!! The design and craftsman ship looks outstanding.

Reminds me of the Yamaha Tricker but looks loads lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by velocityjunky View Post
    i dont know whats in store for the future.....right now were just "over the moon " that it has come this far.

maybe one with a crf150r motor in it

or if anyone knows of any motorcycle manufacturers that are hiring?
    yes, put this motor in and make me one.
    2003 Aprilia RSV 1000 Tuono
    2010 Yamaha YZ 450F
    2009 Honda CRF 450X
    2008 Toyota Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by AtomantTC View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Please tell me in your opinion, how robust is the whole set up. Also, what wheels did you use?

Depending on what engine you are comparing it to, I hope to drop off around 15% of the weight but of course you have to include the coolant/electrical system so I am looking at the whole pack as one piece. I do anticipate I can get the power up as well. But in trials, its not about power alone but more how the power is delivered to the back wheel.

Watch this short vid and see the abuse the bikes get. The bike is a GasGas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_bITpYNwA

This is an older trials video but well worth watching - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSQKG...eature=related

Anyway, good luck with the project - It has real potential

as far as wheels go the front is a dh setup and made by FUNN it is a 48 spoke wheel/hub, with a heavy tube and a michelin downhill tire.

the rear is a ktm sx65 hub laced to a 21" excel wheel, and it has a dunlop front trials tire on it.

as far as it being robust, i assume everything will take decent abuse, except for the subframe, it probably wont take many hits to really tweak it. and of course all of the bodywork is fiberglass which is the WRONG material......but we dont have an injection molding machine so were doing what we can with what we've got.

i believe the chassis could be stronger and lighter...........if we do a second one there are many things we will do differently.

[QUOTE=velocityjunky;1649647]rossguzzi......great bike, and i bet its easier to maintain than a DUCATI.

but it IS a Ducati ! You dont recognise thier first ever engine?
    Tuono Racing + KTM 990 Adventure =

sorry, should have said ....easier than a 916.

.but we dont have an injection molding machine so were doing what we can with what we've got.
    no is this something where you could ship me/someone the molds and then I could take them and have them injected or is there more to the concept that I'm not grasping?? Moldrite plastic's is 2 ft down the road from me and I know thier daughter ( ) better than average. I could at least ask about for you
    #1 Forum Mod Pisser-Offer

Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duc slayer View Post
    no is this something where you could ship me/someone the molds and then I could take them and have them injected or is there more to the concept that I'm not grasping?? Moldrite plastic's is 2 ft down the road from me and I know thier daughter ( ) better than average. I could at least ask about for you

thanks for the offer......but our molds wouldnt work.

real injection molds for all of our parts would be more expensive than the entire bike.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    First off, a serious and heart felt congratulations to you and your "team". I am beyond impressed with your work, you definitely deserve a job in the industry. I can easily get 25+ brake bhp out of that engine in a 125 lb package that would be freaking amazing to ride! You really are answering a question that few have bothered to ask in recent years, or even decades. Your relentless attack on weight is the true genius of your project. Using more ti, aluminum and carbon could work amazing further weight loss.

I have watched this thread all day and it has brought attention from all over the world. (As a moderator, I can see a little more than you guys on my page view) You have more interest in this than you probably think. You are getting a LOT of views.

Motorcycles "should" be lighter, power is easy to make as needed. Thinking like this could result in a 300 lb 50+ bhp street or roadracing bike one day. Thanks for posting this. You earned all the compliments. Keep up the good work!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

thank you, micah.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    First off, a serious and heart felt congratulations to you and your "team". I am beyond impressed with your work, you definitely deserve a job in the industry. I can easily get 25+ brake bhp out of that engine in a 125 lb package that would be freaking amazing to ride! You really are answering a question that few have bothered to ask in recent years, or even decades. Your relentless attack on weight is the true genius of your project. Using more ti, aluminum and carbon could work amazing further weight loss.

I have watched this thread all day and it has brought attention from all over the world. (As a moderator, I can see a little more than you guys on my page view) You have more interest in this than you probably think. You are getting a LOT of views.

Motorcycles "should" be lighter, power is easy to make as needed. Thinking like this could result in a 300 lb 50+ bhp street or roadracing bike one day. Thanks for posting this. You earned all the compliments. Keep up the good work!
    I second that.

John W.

apriliaforum newb
    Registered just to say HELL YEAH. That thing is awesome! PM sent.

apriliaforum newb
    Another n00b registering to say "Wow"!

Nice work. I'll be watching with interest

apriliaforum newb

A new sport

Congratulations, you have just created a new sport.

I have been riding freeride mountain bikes for years on the "north shore" in British Columbia, which includes man-made stunts like ladder bridges, skinny logrides, and jumps. You are certainly familiar with this.

Anywho, I've always wondered why most downhill bikers drive to the trails and shuttle their bikes to the top in a truck. An actual mountain biker will pedal to the top. What would be totally awesome is what you have created, a bike that can get you there, ride to the top, and ride down. The bike is light enough to be supported on man-made obstacles. For enduro, the possibilities are endless, especially now that you are talking about an electric motor.

If I were you (and I'm certainly not, as you have created something in a year that I'm not sure I could do in a lifetime), I would find some investors quickly who are willing to dump a bunch of money into development for an electric motor for this thing (or just find one of the big moto mfgr's that is willing to listen). The main problem with motorcycles in the woods that denies them access is 1) they are loud, and 2) they tear up the trails. This bike with the trials tire and an electric motor, combined with it's light weight and user serviceability would solve everything.

I guarantee that if you don't pursue this yourself, someone else will. In the next 10 years, this will be mainstream. I will be one of the first buyers whenever you develop the electric version. Price doesn't really even matter that much, but considering the price of a high-end downhill/freeride mountain bike ($4,000 is standard), you could sell it for $9,000 and be sold out instantly. Make sure that as many parts are from the bicycle industry as possible. ELECTRIC is the way of the future!

Best of luck, and great work. --Brad

apriliaforum newb
    That bike looks awesome. I think there could be a good market for something like this.

reminds me of the 50cc enduro bikes across the pond

Had one as a teenager back in the 80's when my dad worked for the Derbi/fantic moped importer. not as nice as the one in the picture but non the less very fun to ride..

good luck I hope it works out.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast