Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Prototype Motorcycle......FX bikes beware

apriliaforum expert velocityjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomantTC View Post
    Excellent piece of work Guys! I notice you claim a total weight of just 57kgs. Is this correct?

Cheers
    yes we got 125lbs dry on a dial scale. once we get everything ready we'll weigh it, with fluids, at the wheels on 2 digital scales.

BTW, i popped the sturdy fiberglass parts out of the molds today and they came out well, next is prep and paint, then mounting....... ill post pics as soon as i have them.......

been thinking......with a hollow stamped swingarm with proper stress analysis, and conventional manufacturing methods like roto and injection molding, we could probably be sub-120lbs dry.
    Motorcycles- No better way to turn money into smoke and noise

apriliaforum expert Jony2Stones's Avatar

Talking

Awesome great work.....

Now you've just gotta tang it and throw 17's on it.....
    "It's broken (btw).......I put it on, it started playing the Beverly Hill Cops theme song --- and then leaked something brown onto my arm........"

atomantTC...... where did you get this link? is it on a trials forum?

Amazing craftsmanship

wow

Bitchen!

That thing's trick. Love the swingarm. A small rear fender to round it all off, and CKruzel's graphics would look good.

RZ Rob
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

Bikes

2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory - Silver (the fastest color)
    2007 Aprilia SXV 550 - Plated
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Plated
    2003 Honda CRF150 - Plated (girlfriend's toy)
    2006 Honda CRF450 - Fun Toy
    1970 Honda Z50 - Plated (pretty clean)
    GoPed Sport - Conquered IOM TT in 2000

WOW - how many will you need to sell to break even?

apriliaforum expert

I want one

I want one...or two

I like it!

I saw this posted on www.nsmb.com (mountainbike site based in Vancouver)

I live in Seoul, your bike would be awesome in the city as transport, as well as a fun toy.

If you go into production, let me know. I'd want the bigger engine, of course...

Awsome ! Just love it.
    Had a similar idea years ago and came up with this. No where near as good as yours, but well, Its pretty cool for what it is. Ducati 48cc Cucciolo mountain bike.
    Congratulations again! AWSOME!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tuono Racing + KTM 990 Adventure =

Quote Originally Posted by velocityjunky View Post
    atomantTC...... where did you get this link? is it on a trials forum?
    Yes, the link was on http://www.trialscentral.com (Worlds no.1 trials website) put up by one of the members. Here is the thread http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...howtopic=16341

I am one of the sites Admins and and also have a background in design engineeriing. In trials, weight is everything and with the current lightest professional machines (GasGas) being around the 68kg mark, your machine at 10kg's lighter than that is of extreme interest. I am working on a project (in secret at present) to develop a lighter more powerful engine for a trials machine ( and enduro too). I aim to develop the engine to fit into a stock GasGas chassis as these are the lightest machines as said before. I am using current technologies so I am not inventing a new combustion method or anything. Just looking at combining technologies to achieve what I need.

Anyway, great piece of work you guys have done of which I will follow with great interest.

Regards
    Last edited by AtomantTC; 11-25-2007 at 11:37 AM.
    Webmaster for : www.rossdanby.net www.totaltrials.co.uk

"We are here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin Steele McRae MBE - R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by RossGuzzi View Post
    Awsome ! Just love it.
    Had a similar idea years ago and came up with this. No where near as good as yours, but well, Its pretty cool for what it is. Ducati 48cc Cucciolo mountain bike.
    Congratulations again! AWSOME!
    With a pair of my old sponsors' forks...Mountain cycle suspenders - cutting edge technology back in the late '80's, now....

Quote Originally Posted by millemille View Post
    With a pair of my old sponsors' forks...Mountain cycle suspenders - cutting edge technology back in the late '80's, now....
    Correct !
    Dont supose you would have some of the polamers (bumpers) from inside the forks? Mine are a bit average!
    I should have got the frame designed with rear suspension like the bike this thread is all about.

velocityjunky, you have a very very cool bike there mate !!
    Tuono Racing + KTM 990 Adventure =

I'm racking my brain (and it isn't taking long...) to remember where it was we were able to source replacement elastomers from.. there was some commonly available "thing" that actually was the source of them in the first place - Rob Reisenger didn't have his own elastomers made, he found ones in the right range from an existing source (kind of like Girvin and the flex stem using skate board truck elastomers initially).

If I remember I'll drop you a pm...but we must be talking 15 years (and 30Kg!)since I had the sponsorship from Mountain Cycle.

rossguzzi......great bike, and i bet its easier to maintain than a DUCATI.

atomant.... honestly the secret to our low weight is the downhill components. the entire front end (bars, brakes...everything) probably weighs less than our rear wheel alone.

other than that.....our swingarm is overbuilt, it could be lightend IMO, and the frame is minimal but has decent gusseting. so no secret there.....

id love to disect a trials bike alongside ours and find out were the differences are. BTW how much does a trials motor weigh? if i remember correctly our motor alone weighs about 35lbs

Quote Originally Posted by velocityjunky View Post
    rossguzzi......great bike, and i bet its easier to maintain than a DUCATI.

atomant.... honestly the secret to our low weight is the downhill components. the entire front end (bars, brakes...everything) probably weighs less than our rear wheel alone.

other than that.....our swingarm is overbuilt, it could be lightend IMO, and the frame is minimal but has decent gusseting. so no secret there.....

id love to disect a trials bike alongside ours and find out were the differences are. BTW how much does a trials motor weigh? if i remember correctly our motor alone weighs about 35lbs
    Thanks for the reply. Please tell me in your opinion, how robust is the whole set up. Also, what wheels did you use?

Depending on what engine you are comparing it to, I hope to drop off around 15% of the weight but of course you have to include the coolant/electrical system so I am looking at the whole pack as one piece. I do anticipate I can get the power up as well. But in trials, its not about power alone but more how the power is delivered to the back wheel.

Watch this short vid and see the abuse the bikes get. The bike is a GasGas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_bITpYNwA

This is an older trials video but well worth watching - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSQKG...eature=related

Anyway, good luck with the project - It has real potential
    Last edited by AtomantTC; 11-25-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    Webmaster for : www.rossdanby.net www.totaltrials.co.uk

"We are here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin Steele McRae MBE - R.I.P

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast