Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EFI light

apriliaforum prov-nov

EFI light

I have a 2000.5 Aprilia Mille RSV, while riding the 'EFI' light appears. When i plug in the test wires, the code '0' appears on the DIAG screen, which is not a real error code. The voltage on the bike when running is 12.6-13.4, so that seems ok. I'm just trying to get this damn light to turn off, any help? Thanks alot.
    Last edited by RSVrider00; 07-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.

After connecting the diagnostic wires you have to start or attempt to start to get the code.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I've done that, still no code.. When I start the bike the 'DIAG 0' stays the same.
    Last edited by RSVrider00; 07-24-2007 at 02:31 PM.

DIAG "0" is the indicator of the TPS ( Throttle Positioning Sensor ).

"0" is what its supposed to show. If it shows either "1" or "-1" then the TPS is slighlty out of adjustment and requires a bit of tweaking.

As kzmille said, you need to start the bike after setting the bike into "dealer" or "diagnostic" mode to see what error code throws up.

DIAG "0" is not an error code as such, just an indication of the TPS settings.

There are ECU fault codes listed here on the AF1 site:-

http://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips...faultcodes.htm

Try it again and see what code it throws up m8.

In my experience, the "EFI" code can also end up flashing up if you have a dodgy "tip over" sensor. Its sat under the seat behind the battery and its a common fault. It can also cause the "No Start" message to display on the dash sometimes.

It sits under the seat, behind the battery fixed to the undertray tab by a rubber shroud. You may well have either put this back in upside down, or left it unconnected ( leaving it unconnected shouldnt give you a "No Start" message though, its more likely to flash "EFi" at you in that case ), which would cause the problem. If you haven't taken it out of the rubber shroud and instead have just unclipped it in the shroud, off the plastic tab on the undertray, look on the side of the shroud, there should be an arrow to show you what way to refit it. The arrow should point upwards. I'm sure the tipover switch is the switch on the left behind the battery ( looking at the bike from the rear ).

I think I've got pictures of it somewhere, I had a similar problem myself a while back. I'll see if I can dig the pics up of it.

To confirm a problem with the tip over switch, stick your bike into DIAGNOSTIC mode and see if it flashes up fault code 41, which relates to the tip over switch.

Here's a pic of the switch, so you know what yer looking for:-

Last edited by RSV_Ecosse; 07-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.

2000 RSV Mille|Derestricted|Evoluzione Airbox Kit|Renegade 2-2 System|Forza FR200 EPROM|16t front Renthal/44t rear Renthal|Carbon hugger/Front fender/Chainguard/Heelplates|Fabbri black DB screen|Gold Mikes Grilles|Decals by ckruzel

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I know thats what I'm confused about as well. When i start it up in dealer mode the DIAG "0" still appears. There does not seem to be any fault code, thats what i'm trying to figure out here. The EFI light only appears when the bike is being ridden. Any more suggestions?

Any drop in performance when you are riding it and the EFI flashes up?.

I have had it flash up a couple of times over the years when I first start my bike, it seems kinda random though.

It flashes for a few minutes, but if stop and restart it, it vanishes.

I put it down to "gremlins" in the fabled Italian electrics, it has not done it for a long time, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

2000 RSV Mille|Derestricted|Evoluzione Airbox Kit|Renegade 2-2 System|Forza FR200 EPROM|16t front Renthal/44t rear Renthal|Carbon hugger/Front fender/Chainguard/Heelplates|Fabbri black DB screen|Gold Mikes Grilles|Decals by ckruzel

apriliaforum prov-nov
    There does not seem to be any drop off in performance, or anything of that nature.

Keep an eye on it, you might find it does what mine did and doesnt manifest itself for ages after it appears.

Like I said, "gremlins" possibly.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I disconnected the tip-over sensor, and started the bike in dealer mode and the fault code 41 did appear. That only shows that the ECU is working properly, doesn't it? When i re-connected it and started it back up there was no fault code, simply DIAG "0". Whenever riding the bike the EFI light still flashes.

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    It's worth a shot to check the ambient temperature sensor located in the left intake duct. Spray some contact cleaner on the sensor and check the wiring too.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Its been removed, cleaned and re-installed.. The same problem is still happening, with the EFI light flashing when riding.. I've all but given up for the night, this has been a long day of trouble shooting.

Does the light start flashing right after you start the engine and the panel goes through its routine or does it start flashing after you are under way?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    When i first start the engine, the EFI light is on for 3 seconds as it should be, then the temperature appears and the bike is fine while at a standstill. However, as soon as I start to ride the bike the EFI light flashes on the dash..

It seems a likely possibility that a weak and intermittent electrical connection might be the cause. If you have not done so already, try riding the bike a short distance with the diagnostic wires connected and see if you get a code. Remember that when you turn the key off codes are lost. If that is of no help go through the complete list of codes and check, and repair as necessary, each electrical connector to the components on the list. Check and reseat the main connector at the instrument panel as well.

I just saw this this morning and don't know if there is anything to it but it is worth looking at:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...55&postcount=3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast