Thread: maxton forks and rear shock question

maxton forks and rear shock question

hi guys about 2 weeks ago we had a post about maxton that adjust your forks etc, well i emailed them and asked them and they sent me this back

APRLLIA RS125

FRONT

The forks on the early bike are very different to other forks, they are made in Italy by Marzzochi and instead of having springing and damping in both legs they have a spring in one leg and damping in the other. This system is a very poor idea and the cartridge in the damping leg is also a very basic design, which means there is no way of making the forks work with the original system. We convert the forks so that they have springing and damping in both legs, we do this by machining the forks to take Maxton cartirdges which are adjustable for rebound damping and preload, because the internals are very different we also machine new fork tops. The other problem with the forks is that the bottom bush from new has a large gap in it when fitted to the fork, this causes the oil to leak through and build up pressure on the seals, blowing them when breaking very hard. We machine new bushes as part of the conversion. The conversion costs 360.00, this includes fitting and machining the Maxton cartridges, machining new bushes and fitting springs to suit the riders weight and what they us ethe bike for. ALL PRICES EXCLUDE V.A.T.

REAR

The standard rear shock on this model is a sealed unit and very cheap so can not be modified, revalved or serviced . The spring on the unit is a little on the hard side but this suits most people. The problems with the unit are that the damping "goes off" eventually and there is a very poor range of adjustment in the damping, which can not be modified. If you suffer from these problems all we can offer is a replacement unit which is a Maxton unit which is a fully adjustable, high pressure gas unit that adjusts via shim stack system, it has a spring to suit your rider weight and to suit what type of riding you do. The unit also has a remote reservoir unit that has a second compression adjuster. The unit costs 490.00 plus V.A.T.

just thought i would share it with you lot. also he sed if you wanted to ask him any questions to ring him

Phil

Mods:
    Deristricted 2001 Aprilia RS125
    34mm Carb
    39/16 Sprockets
    Betor Gas Shock
    Pirreli Tires
    Blue Wheels
    Solo seat
    R&G Protectors
    Carbon fiber bits

The fronts cant be all that bad if the rs was rated second best handling bike

I think its a load of bull tbh, and look at that price tag, i'd settle with the stock forks at that price...

i got a '97 SP, its the best handling bike ive ever ridden!! they put spring in one leg, damper in the other to save weight!
    WTf is with this constant obsession with making the front end heavier?? whether its fitting Ohlins off a Superbike or a second front disk, this is just pimp my ride bollocks!
    if ur suspension is a bit soft, put in 20W oil and stop whining
    Last edited by jameskrs50; 06-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    2000 Triumph TT600, Powerbronzeblack DB screen, hugger
    and seat cowl, metzeler racetec tyres.

1998 reg RS125 SP, Polini 154cc Big Bore Kit with extra work on ports, Full arrow Kevlar system, 34mm polished Carb, Powervalve, Skidmarx matt blue screen, Blue vinyl seats, custom decals, Continental Contiforce tyres, hand made stainless steel braided hoses, carbon reeds,
    To come: New Contiforce SM tyres, piperx cone filter, recon forks, ISR Radial master cylinder, Gilles Rearsets, front and rear wavy discs.

1985 Honda Cub90 totally original and i know your jealous

ye i totaly agree i asked him rely because i wondered, as there no point doing mods etc to a 125 cause you wont get your money back and like you say adds weight etc. i could understand if your racing them but not for road use not worth it

Mods:
    34mm Carb
    39/16 Sprockets
    Betor Gas Shock
    Pirreli Tires
    Blue Wheels
    Solo seat
    R&G Protectors
    Carbon fiber bits

apriliaforum Junkie JonnyAnnett's Avatar
    Sounds interesting. Who did you email, was it Maxton directly?

The aprilia rear shocks are like cheese!
    Jonny Annett Racing

NDM Aprilia 125 Challenge & Yamaha R6 Racer
    www.jonnyannettracing.com

not mine

1998 reg RS125 SP, Polini 154cc Big Bore Kit with extra work on ports, Full arrow Kevlar system, 34mm polished Carb, Powervalve, Skidmarx matt blue screen, Blue vinyl seats, custom decals, Continental Contiforce tyres, hand made stainless steel braided hoses, carbon reeds,
    To come: New Contiforce SM tyres, piperx cone filter, recon forks, ISR Radial master cylinder, Gilles Rearsets, front and rear wavy discs.

Quote Originally Posted by jameskrs50
    i got a '97 SP, its the best handling bike ive ever ridden!! they put spring in one leg, damper in the other to save weight!
    WTf is with this constant obsession with making the front end heavier?? whether its fitting Ohlins off a Superbike or a second front disk, this is just pimp my ride bollocks!
    if ur suspension is a bit soft, put in 20W oil and stop whining
    Given your great experience I'm really pleased to know that the RS is the best handling bike you've ever ridden. They put a damper in one leg and a spring in the other to save money, not weight.

The thing weighs fuck all. Of course it handles well. Put it on a track with a mildly tuned engine and the failings of the front end will become very apparent.

The Maxton deal is expensive, and overkill for the road, but otherwise worth it. The standard rear unit seems OK to me - I admit I've not done a lot of riding on an RS, but if the damping fades then it has to be replaced anyway and some riders will see value in the Maxton or a similar unit as the extra cost over the top of the standard shock makes it a more reasonable price to pay.

For the road, replacement bushes and heavier oil should suit most people for the front end.

Rob

never once seen an rs fork seal blow

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyAnnett
    Sounds interesting. Who did you email, was it Maxton directly?

The aprilia rear shocks are like cheese!
    ye i just emailed him direct from the website

Mods:
    34mm Carb
    39/16 Sprockets
    Betor Gas Shock
    Pirreli Tires
    Blue Wheels
    Solo seat
    R&G Protectors
    Carbon fiber bits

Quote Originally Posted by RiejuR51
    The fronts cant be all that bad if the rs was rated second best handling bike

I think its a load of bull tbh, and look at that price tag, i'd settle with the stock forks at that price...
    hu was 1st?!
    If i ever offend add "I am a little girl, spare my feelings" to the thread to save any tears and red/yellow cards...

lol! funny guy

Quote Originally Posted by jameskrs50 View Post
    if u want a harley, buy a harley, dont buy a Chingwung Buttplug 200.

ye hu was first?

Mods:
    34mm Carb
    39/16 Sprockets
    Betor Gas Shock
    Pirreli Tires
    Blue Wheels
    Solo seat
    R&G Protectors
    Carbon fiber bits

buell ulysses

ooo, shit realy?
    If i ever offend add "I am a little girl, spare my feelings" to the thread to save any tears and red/yellow cards...

lol! funny guy

Quote Originally Posted by jameskrs50 View Post
    if u want a harley, buy a harley, dont buy a Chingwung Buttplug 200.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS_RS
    never once seen an rs fork seal blow
    maybe you should get on the ferry and come see mine, leaking like a beauty due to sea air and italian chrome, damn it!

Oh i've seen them weep, never 'blow' though