Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Disclaimer
    Since we often face alot of the same questions on this forum (from new users), I thought it would be a good idea to make an FAQ which answers the most common questions a new Aprilia SR 50/Scarabeo owner might have. Feel free to contribute with any information you feel should be included in the FAQ.

Q) I want to buy this scooter: where do I get it? what should I know?

A) Have a look in this thread right away!

Q) What does WOT mean?

A) Wide Open Throttle

Q) I just got my brand new bike. Is there anything I should be aware off in terms of breaking it in?

A) Yes. You should go though what's called the break-in period (or running-in period), before you start using the bike like you normally would. During the break-in period (which is the first 312 miles/500 km) you shouldn't push the engine too much. Here is some advice for you to follow.

For the first 312 miles (500 km), keep to the following indications:

◆ 0- 62 mi (0- 100 km)
    Until you have covered the first 62 mi (100 km), use the brakes gently and avoid harsh, prolonged braking. This will help the brake pads bed in properly against the brake disks.
    ◆ 0- 187 mi (0- 300 km)
    Do not keep the throttle twistgrip open for more than half its travel for too long.
    ◆ 187- 312 mi (300- 500 km)
    Do not keep the throttle twistgrip open for more than 3/4ths of its travel for too long.

Once you've passed the 312 mile mark, you can start using the bike "normally", which means you can ride the bike with the thottle wide open (without the bike taking any damage), if you like!

You might also wanna check out this thread which holds alot of usefull information about the subject!

Q) Which engine model do I have?

A) There's three different types of engines on the SR 50. The Morini (which most Americans and Canadians have), the Piaggio (which all Europeans have) and then there's the Minarelli. Check the picture below to see which engine you have. The Minarelli engine is only mounted on the carb versions of the SR 50.

Q) How do I de-restrict my bike and what do I gain by doing it?

A) You de-restrict your bike by removing the variator ring, and bending back the tabs on the plate on the roller side of the variator. You'll also need to re-map the ECU to development mode, which is done by connecting a Gameboy to the bike (with the help of a cable and a cardtridge). This is usually done by the dealer, since the cardtridge and cable is somewhat expensive. The entire procedure can be done in an hours work and most dealers don't charge very much to do it.

Check out this video to see how it's done.

Please note! On some of the Piaggio engine models there another restriction, that needs to be removed after the ECU and variator-ring has been taken care off. There's a restrictor-plate that needs to be removed from the engine. Take a look at the pictures below to see where it's found and what it looks like (courtesy of Dragster Pilota and The Max).

Q) Will de-restricting the bike damage it?

A) No! De-restricting the bike will only make it work the way it was originally intended! The only reason why the bikes are restricted is because of the laws in the countries they're sold in.

Q) Will de-restricting my bike make me lose my warranty?

A) No, most dealerships will not void your warranty, because you choose to have your bike de-restricted. Keep in mind that in Italy where the bike is made, it's not restricted in any way, so you're basically just changing it back to the way it was originally made! However, you should definitely check with your dealership before having it done. You might also wanna check out this thread for more information.

Q) When should I do the de-restriction?

A) Most people have their bike de-restricted after the initial break-in period (which is 500 km/312 miles).

Q) Can I do the de-restriction myself?

A) Sure - you can do it yourself, if only you have all the right equipment needed (tools, a Gameboy color and the Aprilia cardtridge & link cable). If you feel like trying it yourself here is the procedure (for the post 2005 models):

Check out this thread for more info.

Q) How do I know for sure, that my bike has been properly de-restricted?

A) Well, the best indicator is speed. If your bike does 45 mph/75 kmh or above it's been de-restricted for sure. If you've got the Factory models with the tachometer on it, you can also check the RPM's. A properly de-restricted engine should do around 8000 RPM's.

Q) I've de-restricted my bike - can I make it go even faster?

A) Sure, after you've had the bike de-restricted you can start making other changes to it. For example fitting a performance pipe, like the Leovince ZX or the Gianelli Reverse. By doing that you will gain some additional torgue and a slightly higher topspeed. If/when you install a performance pipe, don't forget to change the rollers as well - you'll need to install lighter ones.

Q) What's the size and weight on the stock rollers?

A) Depends on which model/engine you have. The European Piaggio engine ('05-'08 model) comes with 5.0 grams rollers stock. The size is 19 x 15.5 mm - On the Morini engine ('05-'06 model) the stock weight is 11.3 grams. The '07/'08 model has 8 grams rollers stock. The size is 17 x 12.3 mm. On the older model Morini's ('00-'04) the stock rollers are 7.7 grams (6.8 on the "full power" de-restricted versions) and the size is 17 x 12.3 mm.

Q) I've installed a performance pipe, should I change the rollers as well?

A) Yes! But which weight to choose is up to you. It's really a trial and error thing. It all depends on your body weight and how you want the bike to perform. Although if you have the Morini engine 6.8, 7 or 7.2 grams have been reported to work great, so you might wanna start there. If you have got the Piaggio engine try 4.5 grams.

Q) I've gone through the break-in period (the first 312 miles/500 km) and now it's time for the service check, can I do that myself?

A) Sure. All you need is some basic tools and a little know-how. Before you begin you should also check with your dealership if they will still honour your guarantee, when you do the service check yourself. Here is the maintance chart for you:

Q) What's the service code for dashboard on the '05-'08 Factory model?

A) 45256 - Punch in the code and choose RESET in the menu to make the wrench go away!

Q) How do I change the speedometer from km to miles, or vice versa?

A) It's simple.

1. Insert key in ingnition.
    2. Switch on the bike.
    3. Go to the "Menu"
    4. Go to the sub-menu called "Diagnosis"
    5. Punch in code 45256
    6. Scroll down to the sub menu called "KM/MILES"
    7. Choose miles instead of km (or vice versa)

...and there you are.

Q) What's the right tire pressure?

A) According to the owners manual the correct tire pressure (for riding with one person) is 31 psi in the rear and 26 psi in the front.

Q) What does ECU means and what does it look like?

A) An ECU is an Electronic Control Unit (like a small computer). Here's what it looks like:

Q) What's the newest software version for the ECU?

A) Currently the newest version is 2.8.3.1 - You can download the older 2.82 version here. However the 2.82 version won't work on the older models ('00-'04 models). You should use the the 2.80 version for those, which you can get here.

Q) I can't seem to find a helmet that will fit inside the helmet compartment, what do I do?

A) The helmet compartment on the SR 50 Factory models is very small. In fact, most fullface helmets won't fit inside it. However, we have found (after a long search) a few different helmets that will indeed fit. Here is the list:

Airoh SV55 Silver
    Airoh TR1
    VEMAR VSSEV
    Nau Flash
    Nitro Racing N750-VX

If you wanna read more about this subject, check out this thread.

Q) Where can I buy new decals for my SR 50?

A) Any authorized Aprilia dealership will be able to order the original decals for you. If you live in Europe you can buy them directly from easyparts.nl - There's also a user on this forum called ckruzel he makes high quality custom decals. To PM him click here.

Q) I need the owners manual along with the workshop manual, where can I get them?

A) You can download them both from Apriliatec.net (which by the way also holds alot of other usefull information). If you're looking for the owners manual for the '05-'08 Factory models you can get it here.

Q) How do I check the framenumber?

A) To see where the framenumber is located, check out the picture below. Use the table to identify your bikes make, model and production year.

Q) I wanna replace my sparkplug - where can I buy the original NGK ZMR7AP?

A) The NGK ZMR7AP is only made for the Aprilia (and Ferrari) factories, meaning they're are extremely hard to come by. There's only a few places where you can buy them. Scootopia is one of those places. However they only ship to the US and Canada. GimmeCarParts.com.au in Australia carries the ZMR7AP as well. Just type in ZMR7AP in the "Please enter a part:" search field. They ship worldwide. As a good alternative you can use the NGK CPR8E and CPR7E which have been reported to work very well with the Ditech engine along with the NGK CR7EIX Iridium plug and the NGK PMR8A. The NGK sparkplugs can be bought directly from NGK's website. If you wanna read more on this subject, be sure to check out this excellent "Sparkplug shootout" by Benzina.

NGK CPR8E

Q) Which oil is the best to use?

A) Well, according to the owners manual, the Agip City 2T is the best oil to use. However, the Agip oil is difficult to come by in some countries. So if you can't get your hands on it, you can use Castrol TTS oil instead. Works just as good. You should stay away from the MOTUL 600 oil. It's been known to cause problems.

Q) Where can I buy the Agip City 2T oil?

A) If you live in the USA you can get it here. If you're from Europe, you can get it here.

Other usefull links:

Aprilia workshop manuals

Aprilia owners manuals (for many different models and in various languages)

www.servicemotoguzzi.com - Aprilia manuals

Apriliatec.net

Aprilia part numbers

DITECH Diagnostics tool

DITECH Diagnostics chart (for the '00-'04 models)

Scootnfast's Scooter Central

Online stores:

AF1Racing.com
    Easyparts.nl
    SIP-Scootershop.com
    PM Tuning

Copyright DonWerner / Apriliaforum.com
    Last edited by muchacho; 08-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DonWerner
    Q) What's the size and weight on the stock rollers?

A) Depends on which model/engine you have. The European Piaggio engine model comes with 7.7 grams rollers stock. The size is 17 x 12,3 mm - On the Morini engine the stock weight is 11.2/11.4 grams. The size is 17 x 12,3 mm.
    No, Morini has 17x12 with 7,7g
    Piaggio has bigger rollers (19,5x17 ?)
    (in Germany)

Quote Originally Posted by Avenga
    No, Morini has 17x12 with 7,7g
    Piaggio has bigger rollers (19,5x17 ?)
    (in Germany)
    I'm pretty sure the Piaggio has 17x12,3 mm as well. As for the Morini it might vary from year to year? I don't believe the old and new Morini models have the same size and weight (which might be why we have different numbers), but I'm not sure? Would be great if someone can provide the exact numbers for each year/model?
    Last edited by DonWerner; 05-16-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    2006 Orange Aprilia SR 50 Factory
    Piaggio PureJet Engine (50cc)
    Fully De-restricted
    Ariete grips
    Custom paint-job (mirrors)
    Stock variator w/ 4.5 grams Giannelli rollers
    Giannelli Reverse pipe
    Cubrix Alarm - Model NCG420
    NGK CPR8E Sparkplug
    Top-speed 80 km/h - 50 mph @ 9k RPM
    Topspeed Video ~ Bikeride Video ~ Alarm Video ~ My DVD Movies ~ E-Mail Me (Form Mail)

apriliaforum Member Direct_tech_50's Avatar
    thank you don
    now hopefully people will read this before they post the same questions over and over again
    2003.5 Aprilia SR50 (DITECH)
    Custom decaling
    Fully derestricted
    Athena clutch kit/rollers and red contra spring
    Giannelli Extra pipe
    Boyesen fiberglass reeds
    Progrip Red/Black grips
    Blue/White Front driving LED lights
    0-50kmh in 6.5 seconds(ish)

TRACTION, you either have it or you don't

(\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

DonW-stock rollers on 2006 Morini(US version) has 11.4g's. Something else I just noticed. The Malossi 7g rollers actually weigh 7.3g's. Interesting....But I like the FAQ thingy.
    2006 Ditech Spiderman 2 versionw/Malossi 70cc BBK on Morini based motor, polished piston(top), Malossi ECU, , Malossi VL12 reed cage w/stock stuffer, Xenon HID H8 light kit hgsrMalossi 7g rollers, Polished roller channels on variator, NGK PMR8A spark plug indexed from injector spray Malossi White Contra spring, LeoVince ZX Chromed, Factory Paoli Racing shock, Mobil1 Racing 2T Synthetic oil, Ferado Brake Pads Amsoil Synthetic gear oil Gorilla Alarm System Deltran Battery Tender 145lb mule Elevation: 105ft (44M)

Quote Originally Posted by 06spidey2
    DonW-stock rollers on 2006 Morini(US version) has 11.4g's.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. So now we just need to know what the Morini/Minarelli 2000-2004 models are using? Anyone?
    Fully De-restricted
    Ariete grips
    Giannelli Reverse pipe
    NGK CPR8E Sparkplug
    Topspeed Video ~ Bikeride Video ~ Alarm Video ~ My DVD Movies ~ E-Mail Me (Form Mail)

Euro Morini's 7,7 - 7,8

Quote Originally Posted by THE MAX
    Euro Morini's 7,7 - 7,8
    Excellent. And the size?
    Fully De-restricted
    Ariete grips
    Giannelli Reverse pipe
    NGK CPR8E Sparkplug

apriliaforum prov-nov

whaaat ?

European piaggio stock rollers are 19x15.5 and 5g. Have played with that variator a lot
    Last edited by Burgor; 05-17-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgor
    European piaggio stock rollers are 19x15.5 and 5g. Have played with that variator a lot
    You're right. They're 19 x 15,5 mm. I measured them to be sure.
    As for the weight they are 7.0 grams stock, not 7.7 as I thought. I just weighed them on a digital scale.
    Last edited by DonWerner; 05-18-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    Fully De-restricted
    Ariete grips
    Giannelli Reverse pipe
    NGK CPR8E Sparkplug

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cant be. My bike came with 5g stock. I also putted on digital scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgor
    Cant be. My bike came with 5g stock. I also putted on digital scale.
    I guess one of our scales is in-accurate then. Just a thought...Did you weigh a new set of the rollers or the ones you pulled off the bike? A used roller might weigh less than a new one.

When I installed the Giannelli Reverse performance pipe it came with 4.5 grams rollers. Shouldn't there be more of a difference than 0.5 grams on the stock rollers and ones used with a performance exhaust?

- Don
    Last edited by DonWerner; 05-18-2007 at 06:43 AM.
    Fully De-restricted
    Ariete grips
    Giannelli Reverse pipe
    NGK CPR8E Sparkplug

apriliaforum expert SilverSurfer's Avatar
    Isn't it entirely possible that the PureJets come with 7g from the factory, but then some dealers will change to 5g rollers when derestricting...?

In Euro-morini there is also a light differends .......

Some of the euro countries get the 'full-power version' that comes's with 7 gram rollers. Other (most) countries get 7,7 gram .....

I'am not aware of other differends between these 2 ,but it could be,that the reedstop opening also is differend. (Found bigger opening on a model ,that after some research ,seem the be build for spanish market ,instead of Dutch )

Edit Max >
    Full version (de-restricted ) gets 6,8 rollers instead of the 7 gram I mentioned above

See :
    http://www.easyparts.nl/showdrawing....3-s1478-d31351
    Last edited by THE MAX; 05-19-2007 at 01:04 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Morini was produced until 2003, then the Aprilia DiTech gets only Piaggio Purejet Motors.
    11g Rollers??? cant believe.

In Germany: Morini Ditech 2000-2003 with 17x12 @ 7,7g
    And then Piaggio Purejet (NRG,Runner,Ditech,Factory) with big rollers inside and mechanic oil pump.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast