Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 stroke engine!

sorry miss read it , it started life as a diesle and was made into a petrol/ water one.

Quote Originally Posted by samRS
    and how is 6 strokes 3 times more strokes than 4 lol
    it isnt, but it is 3 times more than 2 stroke...and this is a two stroke forum isnt it?

(i dont have a 2 stroke anymore though lol)
    click thy LINK for thy shizzle

Perhaps I'm just old and cynical, but the gushing and mis-spelt response from vspecr claiming just about everything short of curing global warming screams either scam or wind up.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by msta809
    thats exactly what i was about to say, the life of the engine would be really short and reliability shit.The firs thing i thought when i read it was, what will happen to the spark plug, the oil will mix with the water and what will happen to a hot piston when you spray water on it...from physics a material changes its size when cold and hot, so what happens to it when you constantly heating and cooling it. it does not make sence.
    Hi, I'm new on here and thought I'd dive in, I've got quite a bit of experience in mechanical engineering and engine building so I'd just like so add my 2p,
    From what I've read on the Crower engine, it mentioned the water would be injected in the same way (and amount) as fuel, as vapour which would turn to steam pretty much instantly, it's not like there would ever be any significant "wetting" of the bores to cause rust deposits, not to mention oil control rings re-oiling the bored on every stroke, so that's 6 oilings per watery stroke.
    If you're worried about the water entering the oil then ask yourself why you don't ever smell fuel in your oil, because it's not in a liquid state at any point in the engine and as soon as it enters the engine it's compressed and ignited, or converted to high pressure steam in this case.
    Lastly, as the engine will be adding a steam stroke after every fuel stroke there would be no time for the piston crown to heat soak upto the temperatures we see in conventional engines so the cooling effect would be quite steady, and like I mentioned before, it's obviously only going to be a minute amount of water injected into the cylinder at a time, it's not like dousing a red hot piston into a bucket, more like dabbing a licked finger onto a soldering iron.

This is all IMO of course.

apriliaforum Member
    im with you on this 1 paulinio,

pretty damn clever clever if you ask me, getting an engine to produce an extra 2 strokes per cycle for free YaY!!!!!!!

In the long run too were all gonna get a third more distance for every pound spent on fuel

win win if you ask me, watch this space, only reason the guys not getting backed, because the fuel companys dont like it.

Bring on the revolution

A Hydrogen/Electric/Steam 6 stroke motor...now we are talking!!! I think we are going to see a lot of innovation in motor technology in the near future. These are exciting times no doubt. If we can get high speed mag lev trains and 0 emission cars we'll be well on our way to minimal dependance on foreign fuel.
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

you realise water will become taxed?

regarding the point about the water being a mist

Fuel injectors are spraying a volatile liquid into an air stream, it is being broken up into a fine mist and vapourising, the water is being sprayed as water, it will remain liquid as it is sprayed surely.

We must be talking about a fair volume of water here, to drive a piston down against load. The article mentions destroying a gearbox and clutch the torque was so great.

there would be petrol in the oil if it wasnt vapourising out due to oil temp

apriliaforum Junkie ryanlund2323's Avatar
    well this is all way over my head but a good read lol....sounds like a damn good plan tho if you ask me....
    RyanLund2323

Vehicles

CBR1000f Supersport
    New RS125 or 250 hopefully coming soon

Websites:

http://www.ryanlundwebsolutions.co.uk
    http://www.formula-rs.co.uk
    http://www.caithnessmotorcycleservices.co.uk
    http://www.lozzi.co.nr

apriliaforum Member
    it isnt the water driving the piston down its the steam :P

remember your engines producing between 1500-12,000 revs per minute X the number of strokes, so it isnt pushing large volumes of fuel or water into the chamber per revolution

Quote Originally Posted by smarts79
    it isnt the water driving the piston down its the steam :P

remember your engines producing between 1500-12,000 revs per minute X the number of strokes, so it isnt pushing large volumes of fuel or water into the chamber per revolution

what are you getting at?

1500rpm is 1500 strokes per min where does multiplication come into it

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemx50
    the first one was a diesle, so no sparky. i cant see why it could not work, wont be the best performance engine ever but it will cut the fuel consumption down.
    Acutally....you say that. But I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s, Koenig built a F.Testarossa with direct water injection....that bugger put out over 1000bhp. Quite Impressive it was...although not too reliable, as I recall. You have to remember that the concept of water injection has been around for over a century. Steam engines are still the most powerfull engines ever built in terms of torque.

Also....I think 2 different engines are being mixed up in this thread...one involves water injection to 'add' power and cool the cylinder, the other is adding a 'two stroke' head to a four stroke engine.
    Last edited by metz; 03-20-2007 at 04:21 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS_RS
    We must be talking about a fair volume of water here, to drive a piston down against load. The article mentions destroying a gearbox and clutch the torque was so great.
    In theory (laws of thermodynamics) water will provide a hell of a lot more power that fuel. But they provide it in different ways. Fuel does so by burning, and the speed of the burn (explosion) provides the power. With water, it's not the speed, but the increase in volume which provides the power. As stated on most of those websites, water sublimates to 1600 times it's original volume. So 1cc of water injected into the cylinder becomes 1.6L of steam at 1 atmosphere of pressure. If you pump in 1cc of water into a 500cc engine, you'll get 3 atmospheres in the cylinder. At at the rate the cylinder will be running, it won't condense back to water until it's forced out of the exhaust by overpressure.

The theory is pretty sound, and it does work. It's just tricky, and the major manufacturers won't back it for years yet, basically until they're forced to.

surely water cant be compressed? so that idea wouldnt work?

steam can me though
    R.I.P Spike

Aprilia Yorkshire motorcycle spares and accessories
    Peter Knight
    PJ engineering
    FastTrack Motocycles

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Aprilia
    It needs to be like when a man makes love to a woman, speed and endurance are the key to a wet minge, 2 pumps and a squirt aint good enough.

May the force be with you
    Aprilia SL1000 Falco

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiejuR51
    surely water cant be compressed? so that idea wouldnt work?
    Unless you look at it as water is 'compressed' steam

You're not compressing water......you're 'expanding' it, into steam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast