Thread: New MOT but one advise

apriliaforum prov-nov

New MOT but one advise

Well the old girl romped through the MOT on Saturday ! Did receive an advise tho. Apparently slight warping on the front disks. The tester said he knew the bike would have it once he saw it was a Falco He has tested several Falcos and they have all suffered. One even had the disks replaced under warranty and still it did it

Can anyone else confirm this to be correct ?

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoode1966

Can anyone else confirm this to be correct ?
    Yes. The OEM Brembo stainless steel semi-floaters are incredibly prone to warpage. Sometimes after just 5.000kms. Happened to mine, freeing up the floaters may cure this for a while, but it came back a while later.

Many have taken the plunge and fitted fully floating cast iron discs, including me (Spiegler, but can be had from Brembo as well). These are much more sturdy and heat resistant, but they do rust and rattle (there is a downside to everything).

Just think about it as that was ABS working and ride on.

apriliaforum expert Carbon Can Kat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by go_modem_go
    Many have taken the plunge and fitted fully floating cast iron discs, including me (Spiegler, but can be had from Brembo as well). These are much more sturdy and heat resistant, but they do rust and rattle (there is a downside to everything).
    We have Speigler ductile iron full floaters on the son's Ducati and they are on my list for the Falco. I don't see either the rust or rattling as downside unless you are into bling over function. The rust generally comes off with the first application of the brakes. Walking the bike or riding slowly through the pits for tech inspection we get a lot of looks due to the rotors rattling. At least with the rattling you know they are working as designed. I would be more concerned if I didn't hear the rattle.

discs rattling....dry clutch rattling....same thing.
    ya' gotta love the mechanical sounds.
    "Buy land. They've stopped making it"...........Mark Twain

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Can Kat
    We have Speigler ductile iron full floaters on the son's Ducati and they are on my list for the Falco. I don't see either the rust or rattling as downside unless you are into bling over function. The rust generally comes off with the first application of the brakes. Walking the bike or riding slowly through the pits for tech inspection we get a lot of looks due to the rotors rattling. At least with the rattling you know they are working as designed. I would be more concerned if I didn't hear the rattle.

I actually like the rattling - it makes pedastrians aware that your are behind them when charging through the banned zone (I live in a nearly car-free city)