Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Completed my first track day....

Completed my first track day....

and now I'm addicted. I had a track day at Putnam on Saturday the 27th. Great crowd and a relaxed enviroment with the Desmo Indiana group. I have to admit it's a huge change from racing in the dirt and much easier to panic on entry speeds if not looking properly ahead. I came away knowing my Mille much better than I ever have and loving her even more. By my 3rd session I became comfortable with the track and could build reference points more effectively and increase my approach speeds dramatically. By the afternoon, my knee did it's first touch down on Dead Bear turn (#8), a sweeping left hander with a slight off-camber. My best time of the day was a 1:35, not super fast, but it's what I was comfortable with on that day.

I came away learning alot about just how much stick the bike still has at a decent lean and that you have to get your ass COMPLETELY off the seat to hold a strong lean angle. It was a perfect day, somewhat chilly, so I ran 31/30 PSI in the tires. The 207rr performed very good for me at least, just starting out.

For those of you with a std Mille, I highly recommend getting the suspension lined out before a track day. I'm 6'3 200lbs with gear on and had to do some considerable changes to get the sag I was comfortable with, the stock setting would have been way to spongy on the track. The ride was really hard when I tested it on the street but was perfect for the track, neither standing up or diving into the turns and comfortable with changing lines mid-corner.

I owe alot to this board, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a track day but the experience gained is indescribable. I'm already thinking about the next track day and what I want to improve on. All-in-all a great experience and best of all, no squids.

Congrats!!

Sounds like you had a blast! I personally did not put my knee down on my first track day because I was scared sh!tless, so it sounds like you were pretty comfortable. I also came from a dirt background- you will adapt quickly.

Keep going to the track- it gets sooooo much better. Nice pics.

apriliaforum prov-nov kneedownaprilia's Avatar

nice pics

Hi, I'm a trackday convertee (I now only ride track days--no street stuff), and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your ride. Your bike looks cool, especially with the matt black tail section. Nice pics of other bikes too. Hopefully, you'll make your way out to some west coast tracks too!

Nice! I like those pics dude! Glad you had a great time. Glad to see more mille's on the track

Keep it up and rubber side down!
    2000.5 RSV-R, AFAM 520 16/45, DID Gold Chain, Tigcraft Full Dual System (thermal wrapped), Sato rearsets (reverse shift), CRG levers, Woodcraft clip-ons, Braking Wave rotors (Titanium bolts for rotors), Galfer Carbon Metallic pads, Scotts billet re-usable oil filter, Sharkskinz, EVO: 54mm Throttle bodies, V. Stacks, Hi-Po airbox, slave cylinder, ignition amp, FP modifier, FP Chip.

2005 Acura TL
    2005 Yamaha R1

Congradulations! Glad you had a good first experience. After a couple more you'll soon realize that you have no idea on how to ride a motorcycle. Get your butt to a school and get introduced to the soft science of motorcycle riding. Lots to learn, experience and enjoy on this side of the barrier wall.
    Chuck B
    Arizona

Love to attend

a school when one comes around, I would have to find one that is recommended, I'd hate to waste time on crumby advice. I've rode bikes since I was 6 but the majority of it has been on dirt. Just not real comfortable with sliding tires on pavement as opposed to dirt yet, something about that just seems wrong in the back of my head right now

I've rode street since about '92 but have never really been in a position to get a bike to a track until I moved to this area. With Putnam only 45 minutes away I really don't have an excuse not to

apriliaforum expert
    get in touch with sportbike track time in ohio, they run a lot of track days up around gratten, gingerman all the way down through vir to jennings.

they are a pridmore school or anything but they offer the best 'real world' novice school around.

rather than use science to teach things its more about if you do this, shit will happen so do this instead.

you can get one-on-one instruction the entire day and you will have 1 guy working with you on your progress.

the also run the aprilia demo program in the midwest so they know the bikes inside and out. Monte (owner) rides a std mille as well as a few of the instructors so they will be able to help you learn to ride you twin as a twin should be ridden.

tell em clarkie sent ya!

clarkie

Thanks Clarkie

I'll have to check them out. That would be great to have one-on-one with an instructor. Maybe someday soon I'll have enough confidence to lean the bike like your avatar. Right now the only way you'd see that from me is if I rotated the pic about 30 degrees counter clockwise

What year, and model is the first one?

And what's the deal with the fairings on the one on the bottom? Are those customs? Or just aftermarket that can be had by anybody?

God, I can't wait to get one...
    My Photography Page
    My Facebook Page

Former Rides:
    2002 Aprilia RSVR (Dixie)
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory (AnnaBelle)
    2008 Specialized Roubaix S-Works (Ruby)
    2008 Specialized Transition Pro (Koa)
    2005 Trek Fuel 110 (Claude)
    198? Raleigh ? Fixie (The beach-mobile)

apriliaforum expert
    Is it just me, or does the Red Mille look airbrushed? I know it prolly isn't, but it looks that good .

apriliaforum expert
    Originally posted by BGercke

And what's the deal with the fairings on the one on the bottom? Are those customs? Or just aftermarket that can be had by anybody?
    I thought that too, the first time I saw them.. it's just Shark Skinz body work.. www.sharkskinz.com . I don't know why they used different air intakes.. personally I don't like them.

Correct..

the grey Mille is a set of Shark Skinz with custom paint put on it. It's a friend of mine's 02 RSV that he runs. Reminiscent of the Flying Tiger airplanes. As for the red Mille, that's mine, it's an 03. It's not airbrushed but the mix of flat black on the tail seems to set off the glossy red color, peeling off those ugly factory stickers on the tail section was the first thing I did when I got her.

That reminds me, I need to get race plastic on her before something bad happens

1st track day.

Congradulations, it is a mind altering expierence. As others have said a school or two are in order but if you really want to blow your mind a trip to Barbers is a must do. I've been 3 times from Fla and it's worth the 9.5 hr one way drive. Just do it as they say.

Steve Hunt

apriliaforum expert cornercarver's Avatar
    Let me just correct something before you develop a bad habit. You most definitely should not have your butt completely off the seat. One cheek yes, two cheeks, most definitely not. If you are donig that, you are giving up a lot of control over your bike for the sake of getting your knee down. Watch race videos and you'll see very few riders who hang more than one cheek off. They do rotate around the tank, rather than just slide sideways, however. Body position is incredibly important, so I thought I'd point this out before you've developed any nasty habits.

--sam

Thanks..

for the heads up CC. Always good to get advice. I'd love if there were more posts of styles and tips for those of us that are interested in track riding. I may have overstated it when I said I completely had my ass off the seat, I did make the mistake of doing that once and realized there is no way you can hold on or control the bike if you move too far off the seat. Being new to the track, having one cheek completely off the seat feels like the whole thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast