Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New forks

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer
    Are you referring to the difference between Tuono and Futura forks?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer
    The best measurement I could come up with was 3/8" give or take a 32nd (old tape w/a little wear). Converting that to mm I came up with 9.52mm and it is probably more like 10mm given the slack in my tape.
    I didn't mic it or anything, but my rough tape measurement was 1/2". Someone else here posted 1/2" as well. Maybe yours are special? Doesn't make much difference, really.
    “The road’s what counts...don’t worry about where it’s goin’."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    No problem getting to the preload on either side. Do you the have the masters tilted forwards or something?
    No problem with getting to the preload here either. Just that I got these with the rest of the package and I can't use them.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=815
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

Quote Originally Posted by teachers
    John:

JBC and I discussed this at great length and came to this conclusion: Either our bikes were originally set up very differently or the instructions from Heli changed at some point.

The instructions from http://www.helibars.com/install/aprilia/HB2302.html says:

#5 "Carefully raise both fork tubes in the triple clamp so that exactly 1 ½” height is achieved. Measure from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork tube cap (not the adjuster area). Retorque the triple clamp pinch bolts to factory specifications. "

To get 1 1/2" to show that puts the top of the tube cap flush with the top of the Heli Bar. Mine were installed this way and the forks were raised 10mm (13/32") Jim's were only raised about 5mm and so there is a gap between the top of the tube and the top of the Heli.

What do yours look like? Is there a cavity between the top of the tube and the top of the clamp?

Maybe something gets lost in the metric to standard conversion?

-Duane

That's at least the 3rd version of the Futura install they've come up with. Evidently their lawyers get more nervous each year. I believe my Helis are the second ones they sold for the Futura & at that time they said 5-6mm would do it. I have an approx 3mm gap between the top of the fork tube & the top edge of the Helis. Both Heli clamp bolts are firmly squeezing the tube which is all that is required. The further you raise the tubes the more you take away from their 1.75" claimed rise.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    I didn't mic it or anything, but my rough tape measurement was 1/2". Someone else here posted 1/2" as well. Maybe yours are special? Doesn't make much difference, really.

Hey....I'm from Arkansas....numbers aren't our strong point.
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

This thread is 10 years old. I doubt he has any parts left.
    JD

'01 Futura

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12