Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: please read this before installing a PC3 or updating your ECU

I've read through this thread several times and still have a question regarding use of map 2, pc3, and aftermarket exhaust. Perhaps someone might be able to answer this for me? After making said switch to map 2 and using a pc3, is there a map or means by which to go to a temporary emissions friendly setting for emissions testing purposes w/o having to switch back to map1? My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I couldn't seem to find the answer whn using the search. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    The RSVR & RSVR-Tuono is an end-of-life product.
    No new maps have been released since late 06 and the Navigator uses the exact same maps/file names.
    I doubt there will be any new maps for the V990 bikes unless something drastic changes.
    I went to the dealer today to get my ECU changed to Map 2 for the upcoming install of my Leo Vince slipons and the mechanic told me that you now have the option of running Map 2 in open loop or closed loop (using a Navigator). Since I do not plan on using a Power Commander he loaded Map 2 in closed loop. The mapping number is 266533. Also the date of the map was 8/28/07 so it does seem that they have released new maps since late 06. The bike runs much better, even with the stock pipes. I can't wait to get the Leo Vince installed next week!

Quote Originally Posted by svmtbman View Post
    ...mechanic told me that you now have the option of running Map 2 in open loop or closed loop (using a Navigator). Since I do not plan on using a Power Commander he loaded Map 2 in closed loop. The mapping number is 266533. Also the date of the map was 8/28/07 so it does seem that they have released new maps since late 06.
    according to the very FIRST post on this thread, that map number is the "original map shipped" with the bike. my interpretation therefore is that it's a closed-loop lambda-based map.

the only time a modern engine gains any benefit from "open loop" (ignoring the lambda sensor) is at full throttle. you want a richer than stoichiometric mixture to optimize torque and minimize combustion temperatures, otherwise stoich will do just nicely. i'm really puzzled why MAP2 is devoid of part-throttle closed loop mixture control. in fact, it's fairly common to implement a strategy that can run closed-loop during part throttle, and knowing how much fuel (injector pulsewidth) it takes to achieve stoich, it can extrapolate how much additional fuel is needed to run at WOT in rich mode.
    Tuono 1000R * * * Honda CRF450 * * * Honda CBR600RR track toy
    "The key to life is to die young. And to delay it as long as possible."

Interesting. I do know the bike runs great with the Leo pipes and no surge like I had on the stock map with the stock pipes. I'll take it to the dyno soon and see what the Fuel/Air looks like.

I have a tuono 2010 with cored pipes. Do I get my bike settings changed to Variant / Map 2? or keep it Map 1? Also, with map 2, do I have to remove the catalitic converter or just keep it there?

apriliaforum newb
    hi, i normally feel im quite an intelligent person but after reading all this im not so sure anymore! i have a 2009 tuono and have just fitted some micron carbons and had links made up by local stainless exhaust guy. sounds great and doesnt seem to pop or splutter so i thought..great. Now i get home and stumble across this lot and now feel unless i get a curent updated aprilia dealer with the absolute latest equipment that my bike is doomed. should i put my standard pipes back on or go further with the airbox mod. after reading all this it would seem a big gamble to find not only a dealer local enough but also one with the knowledge and right equipment. if someone needs to know my ecu p/n then i could find that out but still dont really know where to go next unless i just buy a step through honda c50 and give up!
    thanks

Amauri i have made the transition fron Tuono to RSVR with all the intakes,fairings etc,do you think that the bike will run lean in high speed(high rpm) because of the rsvr ram air,i have akra slip ons, KN and i am running map2,I think i read that i cannot load rsvr map on the tuono chip,do you think "evo6" map will be better for my bike,or i have to go for a pciii,are there any differences betwwen the rsvr's maps and the tuono's.
    Thanks in advance!

hey,
    i own a tuono factoru 06 with renegade open airbox and evo 6 complete racing kit...
    the ecu number is p22452130068(64)n2...the (64) i m not sure..faded out...

which is the correct version of map 2 to load to ecu before making a custom map with pciii?

greetings from greece

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Sorry but an RSVR ECU will not work on the Tuono.
    Not only will the Tuono software not load but the immobilizer in the Tuono dash will not send the correct code for the RSVR ECU.

If someone has figured out a workaround, that would be great. But I don't know of one yet.
    Tuono (06) software v. 266531. After having cold start issues the garage pointed to faulty ECU. My question: will ECU's with newer software from latest bikes work on mine? (v.266533 to be exactly from 07.5)

apriliaforum prov-nov WeekendWarrior's Avatar
    I had a perplexing problem with the bike this week.

Took the T to a local tuner Thursday. Bike runs ok, but wouldn't respond to PC3 inputs above idle. Changes to the fuel map had no change on the power curve or A/F ratio, except at idle. I was so bummed, I forgot to ask for the baseline data.

I had a local dealer update fuel maps and switch to engine map2 a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure he did it right, because it runs better with the open pipes and was rich in most of the rev range on the dyno. He printed the fuel map # on the receipt and it's correct and up to date.

Anyway, I rerouted the PC wires to the right side of the motor, away from the plug wire, put sealed solder/shrink connectors on the TPS instead of the wire tap. Ran additional wire from the TPS ground to the PC3 blk/gry ground wire. And, I updated the firmware on the PC3.

Will try to get back over to the dyno on Monday and see what happens.
    Does this bike make my ass look FAT? No, your FAT makes your ass look FAT!

'04 RSV1000R- for sale
    Cored pipes, Map 2

'08 Tuono Factory, Red Lion
    LeoVince Hi-Mounts, Evo Airbox, BMC filter, PC3 mapped, 42T rear, ProTaper bars

'07 Yam WR450F

apriliaforum prov-nov WeekendWarrior's Avatar
    Ok, finally got back to the dyno. All is well. The PC3 worked like it should. baseline made 122 bhp, after tuning made 126 bhp with a much smoother torque curve. The shop will email me the dyno chart on Monday. Throttle response on the way home was smoother and the bike feels stronger.

The info on this forum is gold! You guys rock. The guys at dynojet weren't much help. Their answer was to put it back on the dyno and pay the shop by the hour for them to troubleshoot it over the internet. No thanks. And, I read somewhere in here that they were aware of the TPS interference problem, then why don't they include that with the instructions?
    Does this bike make my ass look FAT? No, your FAT makes your ass look FAT!

'04 RSV1000R- for sale
    Cored pipes, Map 2

'08 Tuono Factory, Red Lion
    LeoVince Hi-Mounts, Evo Airbox, BMC filter, PC3 mapped, 42T rear, ProTaper bars

'07 Yam WR450F

apriliaforum newb
    Hello Amauri,

So what does a person do who does not like the louder exhaust (myself included)? I just bought a leftover 09 and the jerking/hesitating in the lower revs drives me crazy and I wish I wouldn't have bought the bike. Love it otherwise, but I have to fix this or sell it. Dealer who sold it to me wants to know nothing about it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Southern California between Los Angeles and OC
    First thing I would do is install a 15t front sprocket.
    How many miles on the bike now?
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum newb
    Is there any significant risk to running the stock pipes on MAP2? I want to install slip ons myself after the first service and would have the dealer switch over to MAP2 then take home to do the install.

But also, I read someone had done this too and mentioned the bike ran much better with the stock pipes on MAP2 before the aftermarket exhaust was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolrider View Post
    Is there any significant risk to running the stock pipes on MAP2? I want to install slip ons myself after the first service and would have the dealer switch over to MAP2 then take home to do the install.
    No, I did the same and ran it for a week before I got the cans on. Map2 and cans makes a big difference, you'll be in for nice surprise.
    "I have had mostly Ducatiís for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast