Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: please read this before installing a PC3 or updating your ECU

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Southern California between Los Angeles and OC

please read this before installing a PC3 or updating your ECU

I decided to post this list because I receive so many PM's from people wanting to know about ECU maps, ECU software updates and PC3 confusions.

This only applies to 04-09 RSVR & 06-09 Tuono equipped with the Siemens/VDO engine management.

Map-1 or Map-2 and exhaust:
    Aprilia included the option of switching the ECU mapping between two modes.
    Engine variant 1, aka Map-1 and engine variant 2 or Map-2.

The bikes are shipped with Map-1 enabled as standard.
    This is a closed loop mode that uses the Lambda exhaust probe to help maintain a lean A/F ratio for low exhaust emissions. This mode is tuned to work with the stock mufflers and Cat converters.

Map-2 is for use with racing mufflers and without Cat converters. It is tuned for performance and is not emissions friendly because both the fuel and ignition maps have been optimized for race use. It does not use the Lambda (runs in open loop mode) but the probe must remain connected.

Switching between the two modes is only possible with the AXONE or the Navigator.

ECU Software updates:
    The software or firmware in the ECU can also be updated whenever Aprilia releases a revised/improved version.
    Each of these software updates can be switched between Map-1 and Map-2.

After updating the ECU, the Throttle Bodies may need to be re-synchronized and idle fuel mixture adjusted with a CO meter if you have an 04 RSV with the very ealy ECU software.
    Be sure to probe each cylinder at the header test ports (not at the muffler outlets).

There is a password available only to dealers, this password allows access that will permit adjusting the individual cylinders fuel mixture with the AXONE. On some bikes, this may improve how the throttle responds from idle to midrange.

The AXONE checks to see if you have selected a compatible map before proceeding with the update. It will not allow loading software versions not meant for that model bike.

ECU software versions:
    The latest AXONE software currently available is 7.0.1 and includes all the maps listed bellow:

software for early 04-RSVR with three wire timing sensor, AXONE ≥ 5.0.4
    -664582 was the first generation map, ran poorly when switched to map-2
    -664584 (file VD5G684$.BIX) first update and worked very well (first available with AXONE 5.0.2)
    -664586 (file VD5G68B$.BIX) same as the map shipped with 2005 bikes
    -664588 (file VD5G68Z$.BIX) map specifically to work with the EVO-6 race only pipe

software for later 04-RSVR with two wire timing sensor and 05-RSVR, AXONE ≥ 5.0.4
    -664583 (file VD5L683$.BIX) same as 664584, originally installed in the later 04 bikes
    -664585 (file VD5L68A$.BIX) same as 664586, originally installed in the 2005 bikes
    -664587 (file VD5L68X$.BIX) same as 664588, for use with EVO-6 pipe

software for 06-09 RSVR, requires AXONE ≥ 5.0.6
    -266536 (file VD5L980$.BIX) originally installed, no updates currently available
    -266538 (file VD5L981$.BIX) for use with EVO-6 pipe

software for 06-Tuono (US 07), requires AXONE ≥ 5.0.6
    -266531 original map shipped with early production, had issues with throttle response
    -266532 (file VC5L980$.BIX) is the first update

software for the 07- 09 Tuono (US 07.5), requires AXONE ≥ 5.1.1
    -266533 (file VC5L981$.BIX) original map shipped
    -266534 (file VC5L982$.BIX) for use with EVO-6 pipe

A replacement ECU is usually empty, without any map and must be uploaded with the appropriate map and re-initialized before it is functional.

PC3 precautions:
    Before installing a PC3, the closed loop mode must be disabled by switching to engine variant 2 (Map-2).
    If you don’t do this, the ECU will sense the modified A/F ratio (via Lambda probe) and attempt to lean it back out.

Since there are so many Aprilia ECU maps, and without the AXONE no one knows what bike has what map, you must be careful when installing a PC3 and downloading a map from Dyno Jet or off your friend’s bike.

The PC3 map is an add-on to the ECU map, a PC3 map from another bike that has down level ECU software will not be correct for a bike with updated ECU software.

Always have your PC3 installed and custom mapped after setting the ECU to Map-2.

I hope this will help clear up some of the confusion.

Amauri

(this info is current as of 05/15/09)
    Last edited by amauri; 07-02-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: updated info
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

please read this thread about TB balancing.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=115421

apriliaforum Member
    My dealer's Axone is not updated to 5.1.1 and it is only 5.0.6!
    Can I change to Map 2 anyway? or is better to updated it before changing to Map 2? I really can not wait anymore for the dealer to update their Axone I already made 2.000 kms with the Map 1 and the Akrapovic slips on!
    If it doesn't makes any difference I will go tomorrow to change to Map 2

Since 5.0.6 does not have the Tuono menu functions, it may or may not be possible to connect as an 04 RSVR and switch to Map-2.

AXONE version 5.1.7 is now available on the serviceaprilia website, any dealer can login to the site and download the update instaltly.
    If they don't have the update, can you really trust them to switch to Map-2 correctly?

What reason is your dealer giving for not having the update?

apriliaforum newb

Do I need to download another map with engine variant 2?

I just bought a 2007 Tuono Factory. I put on Akrapovic slipons and had the dealer change the ECU to engine variant 2.

The bike runs much better but still feels like it should be making a lot more power. The dealer said that there wasn't anything else that needed to be done.

I there an updated map or add on the should be downloaded in addition to engine variant 2?

The map you already have is the latest, the EVO6 map will run too rich with slipons.

Install a 15T front sprocket.

Is there a way I can check to see if my dealer truly set my ECU to map2 on my 2007 Tuono (05/2006 production date)?
    Thanks
    Marc F.
    2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by MarcF View Post
    Is there a way I can check to see if my dealer truly set my ECU to map2 on my 2007 Tuono (05/2006 production date)?
    Thanks
    not unless you have the equipment Marc, check your other post.
    "I have had mostly Ducatiís for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)

I've finally got round to reading this sticky.

I run Akra SP slipons, Map2 on an 06 Tuono. The map was updated Dec 06. The bike isso much better than stock, but occasionally I get what I can only describe as a surge between 4 and 5k on low throttle openings. This is ok on a freeway, annoying but not a pain. Mid corner though, when you're waiting to wind on, at 5k it's a real PITA. The problem seems to be more related to the throttle opening than the actual revs, as I am rarely on closed/low throttle at 6,7,8

I was thinking of going PC3, but it'd be interesting to know if anyone has seen similar with their T and the same slipon and map combo

Before going any further with a PC3, please ask your dealer to connect the AXONE and tell you what version software is in the ECU.

The early production 06 Tuono software #266531 had issues similar to what you are reporting.

apriliaforum prov-nov mmarriott2's Avatar
    Everything Ive read on this subject deals with bikes with aftermarket exhaust installed. My 07 is completely stock. I want to install a PC3 to clean up the studder at 4K, and the jerkyness of the on/off throtttle (dealer says they synked it on the last tune up). The dyno guy around here (not the dealer)does not have AXONE, but says he has the maps from dynojet and he can tune it on the dyno. The dealer here can do map 2, but thats it. So my question is, If I get a PC3 and have it tuned on a dyno, do I need map2, or AXONE? Do I need all three? Or am I just waisting my time and money as long as Im running the stock exhaust?

Evening guys n girls, just found this forum having purchased my first Tuono.
    Slight difference from my CBR1000RR-5 Erh actually a huge difference.
    Can anyone help me here? I have had my first service at my local dealer, he is new to the Aprilia franchise,I am informed that my Tuono has been switched over to Map2, I have Akro slip ons which came with the bike.
    The bike does not really feel much different to before and when on tick over it smells like its stuck on choke-really rich, almost the smells of neat petrol.
    Does'nt seem like the map has been switched over to me, my dealer did say that the software did not confirm that it had been installed, this was checked with Aprilia UK and they said it was fine?
    Is there a big difference between either map?
    Any help gladly received

apriliaforum Member themattreid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarriott2 View Post
    Everything Ive read on this subject deals with bikes with aftermarket exhaust installed. My 07 is completely stock. I want to install a PC3 to clean up the studder at 4K, and the jerkyness of the on/off throtttle (dealer says they synked it on the last tune up). The dyno guy around here (not the dealer)does not have AXONE, but says he has the maps from dynojet and he can tune it on the dyno. The dealer here can do map 2, but thats it. So my question is, If I get a PC3 and have it tuned on a dyno, do I need map2, or AXONE? Do I need all three? Or am I just waisting my time and money as long as Im running the stock exhaust?
    did you even read the original post?

you need map2 before running ANY PC3 stuff. and you might as well leave it on map1 (stock) if you're running stock pipes. to get rid of the 4K stutter you need aftermarket pipes and map2.

You may be interested in this
    * FULLY ADJUSTABLE PERFORMANCE CONTROL IN 15 MINUTES * eBay Item number: 120280939117

The system claims to adjust the signal from the O2 sensors in the inlet and llamda sensor in the exhaust. Giving you the option to riched the mixture. A bit like a very crude PCIII.

Please note, I have never used these and have no idea whether their claims are valid. However, it may solve your problem and at £20 it may be worth a punt?

The problem you are experiencing can be easily corrected without a PC3 or aftermarket mufflers/map-2.

Many people don't like the loud aftermarket exhaust (myself included) and prefer the stock pipes.
    Unfortunately not all dealers know how to access the advanced adjustments on the AXONE.

Where are you located?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast