Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some tips for first track day

apriliaforum Junkie deputydog95's Avatar

Question I need some tips for first track day

I am going to Jennings for my first track day on Sat. I'm taking the intro class while I'm there. I've got an 02 Mille R with the Pirelli Supercorsas on there.

Couple questions:

Is that blue painters tape okay for the headlights and tail lights? It isn't really sticky and doesn't leave any glue behind.

What is the best/easisest way to disable the headlight and tail lights?

What tire pressure should I run those Supercorsas at?

They don't require any other prep work as far as I know (other that mirror and license plate removal).

Any other tips on prep or riding would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS This might make a good permanent thread in the tech section

apriliaforum expert Smoke Eater's Avatar
    A lot of questions.

I use duct tape. As long as the lights are off you're fine. The goop comes right off with Plexus.

Disconnect the wires to the tail lights and unplug the bulb for the front.

The organizers would be the ones to ask about tire pressures. 31/30 is what I usually run but ask someone who is familar with that track.

Turn your idle up to about 1800. It really smooths out corner transitions. Cheating a little bit.

Above all, relax and have fun. Don't worry about other riders and don't chase people who pass you.
    "The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

2002 Mille Silver
    2002 Scary 150
    1992 Ducati 900ss
    1972 TR3 350 (nearly restored)
    1966 BMW R50/2 with side hack

I'll help

whattashame. All those viewers and not a single post!!
    well, don't worry grasshopper, we will set you straight.I did Jennings not too long ago and can give some good tips( I hope), and I used my 01 RSVR so that will help more.
    first off. track prep the bike. Blue tape is okay, remove the mirrors(very ez) make an x on the signals and thats enough. unplug the headlight wires or remove the fuse: plug is easier. Remove the tag.
    track prep you: full leathers? 1 or 2 piece? Make sure your comfy in them. Saw a guy run off the road one time when his leathers were too stiff to get off the bike. Add spine protector. full gloves, top helmet with dark shield is a plus. It gets hot there and its nice to have an extra to substitute while the other one is being cleaned. Get plenty of sleep. My suggestion - is arrive on Friday night - free camping, set up tent, get your slab, and chill. take a shower(also free) and relaaxx. No heavy drinking either, unless its water. Also no heavy breakfast. track orientation is around 8:30 or so where they will break you down into 3 groups. go yellow, as in NEW GUY. Gives you some time to get your stuff together and see how the pros do it. they will also check your wrist band the first time, so have it out(glove off). Set tire pressure to 31/32 front and rear. If the temp is over 78, then should be enough to get them plenty hot. if cooler, then go with 31/31.
    Don't make any radical changes to the bike!! the ohlins are soo good that street setting are almost good enough on this track.
    bring 5 gals of gas or so. Don't need the super race premium, just regular will do, but its easier to have it avail, then get some at night, than to have to leave the track and fetch some from waaay back in town.
    1st lap. you will be led for the 1st 20 minute session. follow along, see the other guys and learn the lines. 2nd session, may be supervised, but you will be picking up your lines at this point.
    3rd session is when you get to go for yourself. either follow along some previous riders or lead them. You will chat up with them later, so don't cut anybody off. I've done 3 or 4 around the world and they all seem to work out that I give and get some lessons on the ride, track and my skills.
    Have fun, and don't try to set the course record!! With the Aprilia we can set it up to do lap times. I was holding around 1:44's and got a few 1:37's. 1:30's qualify for the fast group and I prolly would have made it by the end of the 2nd day, til we left.
    btw, if you are on for 2 days - 2nd day, 1st session is when most crash. They think they have it all sorted out, so on cold tires and cool track, they push too hard. My time at Jennings had 4 Aprilias, with 3 of them binning it on that session(I came home ok).
    I can give you more details on the track itself, but this should be a good start
    Jimbob
    Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

Let me preface by saying that whatever organization you are doing the track day for may have different rules. That being said, I've run on that track a few times (they do organization for their own track days) back when it was called North Florida Motorsports Park. No, I'm not that old, it just changed a year or so ago

The Blue tape is fine - I've seen many others use it also. The best way to disable the headlights is to expose the vinyl electrical boot to the left of your dash, and unplug the headlight connector (4-prong white big one). Alternately you could remove the headlight fuse (I don't know which one it is). Yanking the connector is easiest.

Tire pressures are a very variable thing, but for your first track day - you could set it to 32-32 and then ask around - find someone else running Pirellis and ask them what they like. Maybe someone here with Pirelli SC experience on a mille will chime in.

Even though no other prep work is required, consider removing your blinkers

Make sure all fluid drain & fill bolts are properly tightened - I can't remember if Jennings makes people use watter-wetter, or if you use stock antifreeze?

There are a hundred other things to bring to a track day! Tools, folding chairs, a cooler with food and LOTS of drinks, a tarp or canopy if you have one (before I bought my EZ-Up, I used a tarp strung off my Ford Explorer, until the wind at Jennings tore it up!). Bring a change of clothes, also - Jennings has showers (a few) in the trailer.

Hmm, if I can think of anything else I'll add it later. Most important of all, HAVE FUN!

My first time at NFMP (Jennings) I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone is, espesically the experienced racers. They were happy seeing how much of a good time I had my first track day!
    Rich L
    2001 Aprilia RSV-R
    2006 BMW R12GS

Well......how was it???

More tips for Jennings:

- Do NOT stay at any of the motels at the Jennings exit. They are uninhabitable. The Days Inn one exit south of Jennings is marginally better. Best to stay one or two exits north in Lake Park, GA.
    - Bring shade and an electric fan. There are outlets to plug into.
    - The food at the track is excellent and reasonalbly priced. Bring lots of water and snacks.
    - There are track photographers that will get some great shots of you if you let them know that you want them.
    - Antifreeze in the radiator is fine.
    - Get there early to get a concrete pad.

Originally posted by Dug206
    Well......how was it???
    I don't think he's gone to the trackday yet. He only posted this thread yesterday :p
    2000.5 RSV-R, AFAM 520 16/45, DID Gold Chain, Tigcraft Full Dual System (thermal wrapped), Sato rearsets (reverse shift), CRG levers, Woodcraft clip-ons, Braking Wave rotors (Titanium bolts for rotors), Galfer Carbon Metallic pads, Scotts billet re-usable oil filter, Sharkskinz, EVO: 54mm Throttle bodies, V. Stacks, Hi-Po airbox, slave cylinder, ignition amp, FP modifier, FP Chip.

2005 Acura TL
    2005 Yamaha R1

Looks like between smoke eater, jimbob and Rich, you got all your questions and more answered.

It might be a good idea to have your suspension set up. Don't forget your gear and the key to your bike (it's happened to someone I know).

It's probably a good idea to take everything everyone here has suggested and make a checklist. Mark things off as you go and load it up.

Keep us updated on your trackday, post some pics when you get them and have fun.

2000.5 RSV-R, AFAM 520 16/45, DID Gold Chain, Tigcraft Full Dual System (thermal wrapped), Sato rearsets (reverse shift), CRG levers, Woodcraft clip-ons, Braking Wave rotors (Titanium bolts for rotors), Galfer Carbon Metallic pads, Scotts billet re-usable oil filter, Sharkskinz, EVO: 54mm Throttle bodies, V. Stacks, Hi-Po airbox, slave cylinder, ignition amp, FP modifier, FP Chip.

2005 Acura TL
    2005 Yamaha R1

Oh.....I was thinking this last saturday. Silly me. I had to work all weekend and this morning was the first time I looked here all weekend.

In my opinion, if running stock bodywork, pull the fuse for the main headlight. You'll have to pull the bulb for the front running light though. If you pull the fuse for that, you'll also take power away from the dash display. Take the turn signals and tail light out. Very easy to do. Just a couple of allen bolts and each has a quick disconnect. Are your tires new, newer, etc? If they are worn more then more then 50% you may have problems with tech. It all depends on the club and whose doing tech. I wouldn't be so worried about suspension and making huge changes to your bike at this point. Go with what your familiar with to start with. There will be so many new things going on around you (flags, rules, riders, bikes, flags, track) that the last thing you want to do is have to sort your bike out. Go with what your familiar with and save that until your comfortable with being on the track. If you are going to do anything prior, set your sag and record your settings that you have now. This way you have a starting point. Got a pit bike or mountain bike? Other then that I can only see one thing that nobody else mentioned. Try to get somebody to go with you. You can always use a hand, give them a stop watch for fun to see your improvement as future track days happen and if the worst happens and you lay it down, you'll have someone to drive you home. Take it slow and easy. Don't try to be a Rossi. Be smooth, consistant and above all have fun!!

Originally posted by rsvmilleR1
    Don't forget your gear and the key to your bike (it's happened to someone I know).

emilio?

apriliaforum Junkie deputydog95's Avatar

Thanks guys. Appreciate

all the feedback. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I'm taking a track school while I'm there so I should get some good supervision

I've already started to make a checklist so I don't forget anything.

I'm glad someone mentioned the hotels. I was curious to know if they were dumps. I'm bringing the wife as my pit crew so she wouldn't appreciate staying at a roach motel.

I reserved a pickup truck to haul the bike up there. Trying to work out how to get it in the truck. I have a trailer I can use, but the rental truck doesn't have a receiver for a trailer hitch. I went by the dealership today and they want $200 for a pickup truck ramp. Any ideas on this subject?

Hmm, you're a bit short on time, but a Lockhart-Phillips dealer can order you a ramp for 80 bucks or so.

Still, don't skimp on a decent ramp. expescially if you'll be using a pickup. I hate loading and unloading off my _trailer_ - so for me a (taller) pickup is out of the question.

For a quick-fix, go to Home Depot and get some heavy wood slabs - 2x6 or better, 2 x 8. Get some "no-skid" tape to put on it, too. When you get to the track, do NOT be shy about asking others to help you load / unload your bike. Pride goeth before a fall - and in this case, it's your bike's fall ...

While you're at the track, look around and others' ramps and ask them where they got them from - a good ramp is worth it's weight in gold!

Have fun at the track school - if the same people are running it as when it was called NFMP, than it should be a good school!
    Rich L
    2001 Aprilia RSV-R
    2006 BMW R12GS

Hi, I will be in Jennings on Sunday and Monday. I am also bringing my wife (she rides as well). You are more than welcome to pit with us. Don't worry too much about anything. Everyone there in really helpfull. Very smart to take the intro course. There are sugested track settings in the RSVR owners manual that can serve as a base point. Also Sportrider.com has some sugested settings as well. I only mention this because I find the stock settings a little soft. As far as where to say, you might want to stay in Lake City. It's about a half hour drive from the track and the motels are more wife friendly. Let me know if there is any thing I can do to help. Tim

Good luck and enjoy

- Before leaving, go around your bike with a torque-wrench for a quick check of the most important stuff (axle nuts, caliper bolts, etc.).

- Don't target-fixate... if you feel you are going too fast for that given corner, lean her down anyway, look to the corner exit and you'll be fine.

- Don't forget to breath! (yeah, I'm VERY serious).

- ENJOY yourself!

- If you're a little stressed DON'T TAKE IT ON THE WIFE. Or she'll never go with you again. Be sweet to her!
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

oh and don't forget?

uh didn't mention it earlier because it was important stuff, but now that you have all that. Don't forget to bring your camera to record your accomplishments. Tires all the way feathered, maybe a slider or two scrubbed in, and???

that barbie doll of a receptionist!! some of the best boobies in the state!!(I did not say this in case I ever go there again)

Asphalt don't play
    Jimbob
    Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast