Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Futura and Caponord dash repair

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Glad to inform that I managed to solve the problem by using alcohol to clean the contact points. Hooray

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post
    My Right side LCD display is very weak. So I stripped it and see if there is anything I can replace. Nothing much I know how to do. So I assemble back and now the Odometer display is gone. Have I damage anything?Attachment 345407.
    Back to my Dashboard again. Anyone knows how to repair the fading display on the right side. I was told this is common problem because of sunlight.

apriliaforum newb
    Greetings all I am a new Proud ETV 1000 caponord owner, with that being said I am having a dash issue That goes away when the bike warms up or sits in the sun all gauges work. Would be appropriate first Direction be to try the zener diode jumper? Or is there another known weak link that warms up and connects? While under power if I jumper from one side of the panel to the other with a clip-on connection it does not resolve the issue however if I run a jumper from power to pin 17/18 bridge on IC chip all lights light up. Thank you for any and all insight. Nito

NitoYo, getting the dash out is tedious and the dash buttons or dash plastic
    or dial pointers can get damaged.

Seems it might be prudent to do both the capacitor changes & via/feedthru fix.
    Some even reflowed most of the solder joints. Be careful not to overheat and lift solder pads.
    Good luck.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    94.5k miles and all is well.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Meanstrk,

You dont have a high res photo of the left hand side of the PCB at all? im trying to find the SMD resistor value for the far top left resistor in the red circle below. Mine fell off through age I assume and I need to replace. (2001 ETV 1000)

An assistance would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcb resistor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	347143

apriliaforum newb
    I have jumped the zener diode to the back of the capacitor and changed the 16v capacitor. I also just noticed three scorch marks (see pics) in the board traces, which I guess I need to repair. I can get LED's to lightup if I jump from zener to midway up right side of ic chip. But other wise, dash stays dead until things heat up quite a bit. I am game trying a few more things with some direction, but am unsure which way to go at this point.

Is there anyone in the US that works on these boards? I believe Ron has retired. I can send it to Moto-Abruzzo, but that may take a great deal of time.

Thanks! Nito! Yo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_205958[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	354729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_210047[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	354730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_210058[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	354731

In the moto-abruzzo capo home page, in the archive, in november 2017, he has an article about the most common part that fails in the dashboard.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks! I did already change that capacitor and also jumped the zenor diode to the back side of the large capacitor.

apriliaforum newb
    Excellent post.
    I have tried to read all the 20 pages of the thread. I measured and shortcircuit some paths to check. It is strange. Everything works perfect except the 4 blue leds in the left panel (tachometer). The strange thing is that it works by-itself for a period of time then it stops. While with the Pcb at hand connected i try to gently press it to figure out if there is a connection problem. I wish to be advised if i should proceed with installing the wire from zener to capacitor even though it doesnt seem to solve the problem.
    Anyhow Greetings to all from Crete island.
    George

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just fixed mine !
    My new to me 02 Capo dash failed the day I got her . Hooked up battery charger for a few minutes and cycled key to check dash/mileage and worked fine . Removed battery and installed new battery and dash would only illuminate side stand , oil , neutral lights 👎 .

Read the post here and couple other threads on this site and found they can be repaired with little effort and not to complex diagnoses !

Thanks guys for the step by step direction as I could of never figured it out without yalls help ! Would of bought a dash .👍

My fix was a jumper wire through the board from diode to capacitor.
    Last edited by Pro69ss; 06-24-2018 at 07:00 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4406.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	361872

Did some trouble shooting on the dash, I first tried the fix #2 as shown in Ron's tutorial, did not fix the problem. The dash would work when warm. Fail when cold.

Took it back apart, powered it up, and used keyboard cleaner to selectively cool areas, then components of the board.

In the photo above, from right to left, there is the zenar diode, the large capacitor, a surface mounted capacitor, a small IC, and another surface mounted capacitor. This last capacitor would fail when cooled and work again when warmed back up. I would imagine the other caps on the board will fail over time. Also interesting to note, the caps on the board are 16v, good design would have these components rated at 22 or more volts for a rectifier / alternator charging system.
    '02 with lots mods: full race airbox, evo filter, mille intake, H-pipe, staintunes, PCIII, Carbon Hugger,Custom Gloss Black Paint, Custom silver powder coated wheels and other bits, Billet aluminum (well O.K. Home Depot Aluminum Strap) Pivot Covers, Throttlemeister. Looking for full radar and laser stealth technology!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920