• RSV4 valve adjustment w/motor in the chassis

This is not intended to be a step by step how to V4 valve adj procedure, just some observations that may help others.

Iíve checked and adj the valves on a few customers RSV4s, but until yesterday Iíve not had to adj the front bank, only the rear.

This latest bike was a shocker, with only 2,900 miles, 9 out of the 16 valves were out of specs towards the loose side.
    Some were .05 - .10mm beyond the specs but one IN valve on #2 cyl was at .65mm clearance, that's 1/2mm beyond tolerance

This was the first V4 motor that I had to remove all four cams to adj everything back to specs.
    I found out that the Aprilia supplied cam timing/alignment tools were not designed to fit on the front bank of cylinders with the motor mounted in the chassis.
    Bellow are photos of the modifications I had to make in order to fit the alignment tools on the front bank of cylinders.

This latest bike was also the first valve adj Iíve performed on an APRC motor, there is one important step not mentioned in the service manual.

The early motors had one-piece EX cam gears, while the later motors use a spring loaded two piece gear designed to reduce gear lash noise, same as used on Shiver motors.

Basically, the new two piece EX cam gears are sandwiched together with three springs between them, the springs apply pressure that cause the EX cam gears to rotate against each other.
    This preloads the gear teeth to eliminate any play where the IN and EX cams mesh together, thus reducing noise.

What is not mentioned in the service manual is that before removing the EX cam you should insert a 6mm pin to lock the EX gear halves in position, thus preventing the springs from forcing them apart.

Though not completely necessary, inserting the lock pin makes it a lot easier when re-assembling the cams and aligning up the timing marks.

One last thing I found out is that having three of each size valve shim is not enough.
    For this motor I needed four 2.70mm shims and I had to run down to my local KTM dealer and buy that fourth shim.

Photos showing cam gear holding tool modified/ground down to fit on front cyl bank, crank locking pin modified to fit on LH side without removing flywheel and cam gear alignment pin bent to clear frame rail on frt bank.

I've attached a valve log sheet (my wife made it for me) that I use to take notes and write down the clearance values with the shim sizes I used.
    Print it and record your adjustments so you can compare them to the next valve adj in 12k miles.

RSV4 Valve adj log.pdf

This article was originally published in forum thread: FYI: RSV4 valve adj w/motor in the chassis started by amauri View original post
    Comments 51 Comments
      mrmike_14 -
      Thank you for the answer, Mike! I think you are right.
      Diablo1 -
      Getting ready to buy tools for valve adjustment for 2016 Tuono 1100. I've read the Factory Service Manual and all the threads, and believe I understand the procedure. A few questions remain. I assume I have the Kokusan flywheel on my bike and will need the flywheel puller (020913Y) and the flywheel holding tool (020914Y), to remove the flywheel to install the crank timing pin tool. The Service Manual states that you can't use the crank timing pin to hold the crankshaft, that you have to use the primary gear lock tool (020850Y). You have to remove the clutch to install the primary gear lock tool. Is this really needed? Can you loosen and tighten the cam gear retaining bolts while just using the crank timing pin tool to hold the crank in position? Or will this method damage the crank timing pin?
      Kalif -
      Hi everyone
      just wanted to share
      today recieved a call from a friend
      he made valve check on aprilia rsv4 factory 11,000km (6500miles)
      and all valves were in the right spec

the most interesting is the fact i was riding that bike during break in period (first 600) miles
      and i wiuld hardly follow the instructions in the manual not to exceed 7000 rpm

i was riding it few times on speed more that 140 miles
      then the bike was sold and after me the owner was doing race track days

so to those who had bad experience with the valves i just wanted to say that you never know what to expect

ps:the only oil that was used factory line 300v
      the owner compains about evaporation of the oil
      like 200ml for 1500 km
      but i always heard that its a common thing for the 300v and they have that kind of thing in common

i was having the same issue on my 2012 aprc
      plocky -
      Some supplemental info for anyone buying tools & parts for this job.

1: The camshaft gear holder PN;028065Y is superseded to new part number: 020956Y
      http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=17381
      This updated version looks a lot slimmer; so possibly may not need adjustment (grinding) to fit front cyl bank in frame.

2:
      2-) 897443 v/c gasket
      6-) 898410 bolt gasket
      4-) 857074 plug hole to cover gasket
      4-) 857043 cam tower o-ring

The group of gaskets & O-rings above comes as a kit; Valve Cover Gasket Kit for RSV4 & Tuono V4 (AF1-897443)
      http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=74038
      The kit is the same price as buying the individual items, just saves time in listing the quantities & PN of each item.

3: There is now a gasket for the Alternator/stator cover for 09-16 RSV4 as an alternative to the Aprilia Corse part number COMK060597.
      Stator Cover Gasket - 09-16 RSV4 & 11-16 Tuono V4 (AF1-GS898414)
      http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=74226

4: The replacement camshaft gear securing bolts can be found by searching the following Part number: 857008 - Should be same bolts for all models, however check the Parts Guide PDF for your model before ordering.
      http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=16418

All these parts are available at AF1 online shop. The parts guide PDF for individual models, with pics & part numbers is free to view or download.
      http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dCategory=2993

Hope this saves someone some time as it took me a while to find all these bits.

Thanks to amauri for putting the original posts & thread together.
      Thanks to Mrs amauri for the Valve adjustment log.
      fostytou -
      Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
      Hope this saves someone some time as it took me a while to find all these bits.

Thanks to amauri for putting the original posts & thread together.
      Thanks to Mrs amauri for the Valve adjustment log.
      Just an FYI - if anyone needs any supplemental info I have a really comprehensive document compiled here that includes part numbers, tools required, adjustment procedure, and tips.
      http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ed-Walkthrough

But yes, big thanks to amauri for getting the ball rolling for me and many of the rest of us.
      amauri -
      ------UPDATE--------

Looks like Aprilia re-positioned the LH side screw hole for the crankshaft timing pin.
      They moved it away from the flywheel just far enough so that removing the Kokusan type flywheel is no longer necessary like it was with previous engines.

I started seeing this a few months ago while servicing and adjusting valves on some of the newest serial number engines.

So make sure you ck before you remove the flywheel needlessly.
      Diablo1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
      ------UPDATE--------

Looks like Aprilia re-positioned the LH side screw hole for the crankshaft timing pin.
      They moved it away from the flywheel just far enough so that removing the Kokusan type flywheel is no longer necessary like it was with previous engines.

I started seeing this a few months ago while servicing and adjusting valves on some of the newest serial number engines.

Is this change for 2016 model year in the US? Tuono 1100, or does it go back to any of the Tuono 1000 V4s? Would you have a serial# for an engine with the update, so we can figure if our engine was likely updated?
      DarK_SpY -
      Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
      ------UPDATE--------

do you know what are newest serial number engines? i would be happy if i can avoid buying extra tools i won't need for the valve job.
      thanks
      amauri -
      I don't know when this change was made, and to my knowledge Aprilia has not provided a list of serial numbers.

I've asked Aprilia's Tech dept here in the USA to see if Italy can provide the engine serial numbers where the change began.
      DarK_SpY -
      i can confirm that tuono factory 2016 engine #3374 doesn't need removal of the flywheel for the crankshaft timing pin
      Gabro -
      i just lathe shave the flywheel flat on any bike i work on... so it's removal is needed only at first time, timing pin will fit.

anyway, that movement of the pin position on lastest motor is a good thing
  • Facebook