• Aprilia Caponord 1200 Announced for USA

We are pleased to announce that starting in March 2014 the New 2015 Caponord 1200 ABS will be available in North America.

Aprilia revolutionizes the street enduro segment, creating the perfect bike for travel, fun and day-to-day
    use. The new Caponord 1200 ABS takes advantage of the experience Aprilia has acquired in top level competition, making – once again – technology available to all.

Safety, performance and comfort come together in a new balance, a new frontier destined to be the reference point, thanks in part to the introduction of “Aprilia Dynamic Damping”, the cutting-edge technology, semi-active suspension system covered by four exclusive patents.

Really comfortable for both rider and passenger when touring fast and fun on highway or country roads, the Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel Pack comes standard with a center stand and spacious color-coded panniers, not to mention the most complete and sophisticated electronic control system suite currently available: Aprilia Dynamic Damping (ADD).

Aprilia Dynamic Damping (ADD) is the brand new dynamic semi-active suspension system developed by Aprilia, the reference point in motorcycling on a global level where technology, efficiency and reliability are concerned. To achieve maximum performance at any fork and shock absorber operating frequency, ADD uses a patented “comfort oriented” algorithm which combines the principles of the skyhook and acceleration driven damping algorithms. The system recognizes the riding phases (acceleration, throttle release, braking, and constant gas) and adjusts the basic fork and shock absorber settings which allows specific hydraulic calibration curves to be defined within the adjustment range.

CAPONORD 1200 ABS TRAVEL PACK MAIN FEATURES:
    •  1200cc V-Twin 90°
    • Max power 125 HP at 8,250 rpm; max torque 84.6 lb-ft (114,8 Nm) at 6,800 rpm
    •  Ride-by-Wire system with three engine maps: Sport, Touring, Rain
    •  Two-channel ABS (can be disabled)
    •  ATC (Traction Control can be deactivated and with 3-level settings)
    •  Adjustable windshield
    •  Hand guards
    •  ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)
    •  ACC (Aprilia Cruise Control)
    •  Shock absorber with built in piggy back, spring preload electrically adjustable to 4 predefined settings (rider only, rider and passenger, rider only with panniers, rider and passenger with panniers) or in automatic mode
    •  Full LCD instrument panel
    •  Side panniers color coded to match the body color (29 + 29 liters)
    • Center Stand
    Comments 18 Comments
      SinisterBabo -
      Interesting shock color/location
      Thom -
      Posted about this months ago when the concept was coming out and was being shown at the Tokyo Motorcycle show. An absolutely beautiful tourer and its still a twin!

A definite must have only because the wife saw it and said "Oh, now thats a nice bike".
      LuckyPuck -
      Whats the final drive setup? If they "borrowed" the Moto Guzzi shaft drive this bike will be in my future..
      RSVR Stallion -
      The same way the BMW R1200GS differs from the R1200RT, I had hoped Aprilia would make the Caponord it's own bike. To have it's own styling and character, rather than a smooshed front end from the RSV4.
      cones -
      Looks like they had a buncha rsv4/tuono parts laying around.

Looks awesome
      GioDiGreek -
      If Aprilia does NOT change the dealer network and the support for the US my next bike will be most likely a Ducati MTS1200 or a BMW GSA 1200. When I need it to find a part for my ETV 1000 the dealer told me that not even them can talk to Aprilia directly. They can order only from the computer and no questions asked. I send personally to Aprilia 10 emails and left maybe a dozen voice mails. I did NOT receive not even an automated answer. Very skeptical about it. The new bike is awesome and has a lot to offer. Still needs some fine tuning in the mid range RPM's especially around 3000, according to the expert reviewers. I like the shape and the gadgets BUT USA customer support makes me to want to buy something else. Will see when the time comes and ride it and compare with the other bikes above.

Gio.
      GioDiGreek -
      cones -
      just had a thought. is the gas tank going to be made by the same people who made the awesome melty tank on rsv4?
      Capsil21 -
      A no Brainer if you live close to Houston or New Brunfels, otherwise FFHHTT!
      Beau1K -
      Love it! Can't wait to try it out!! Here's to hoping it's an awesome 2 up bike!!
      ghostrider71 -
      Has there been any info released on US pricing yet?

The more I look at and read about the new Capo, the more i like!

gr
      Smoke Eater -
      I thought about this and it's not the dealer network that bothers me. I have Seacoast a couple hours away so I'd be set for service. I traded my 2003 Capo in for a 2014 GSW. In my opinion, Aprilia failed in their attempt to duplicate the GS and steal part of that market. This new bike is unfortunately a poser. A wolf in GS clothing. I do like the styling though. As loyal as I am to the Aprilia brand (three in the garage) I'd look at the GSW and the KTM 1190 if you're serious about a do-it-all bike.
      tomd -
      Add Eh He He fitting with the Parts /Support network cannot afford garage queens
      Stu_O -
      News flash - One more week, and March is gone. Where is the Caponord?
      dadsafrantic -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
      News flash - One more week, and March is gone. Where is the Caponord?
      hey stu, i notice your one of the only capo riders to post.

have a caponord day
      Stu_O -
      Quote Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
      hey stu, i notice your one of the only capo riders to post.

have a caponord day
      Dads,
      In the early days of the forum, we were all original owners of brand new Capos. The Capo forum seems it's now composed mostly of folks who probably wouldn't be in the market to spend $16,000 or more for a brand new bike, so not much point in them commenting on it.

Stu
      TossoBromo -
      Quote Originally Posted by GioDiGreek View Post
      If Aprilia does NOT change the dealer network and the support for the US my next bike will be most likely a Ducati MTS1200 or a BMW GSA 1200. When I need it to find a part for my ETV 1000 the dealer told me that not even them can talk to Aprilia directly. They can order only from the computer and no questions asked. I send personally to Aprilia 10 emails and left maybe a dozen voice mails. I did NOT receive not even an automated answer. Very skeptical about it. The new bike is awesome and has a lot to offer. Still needs some fine tuning in the mid range RPM's especially around 3000, according to the expert reviewers. I like the shape and the gadgets BUT USA customer support makes me to want to buy something else. Will see when the time comes and ride it and compare with the other bikes above.

Gio.
      Right you are, Gio!

I bought my 2000 Mille R when my favorite Euro bike dealer decided to carry them after much persuasion from me. Aprilia screwed them around with no parts, no service info and basically no support at all...AFTER bragging up their N. American parts system plans. My dealer dropped em like a hot rock. Wouldn't even tune my bike. There was one other dealer in Chicago with a bad service rep. They went under about a year later. About 3 years later, a very local BMW dealer (2 miles from my house...Yea!) took them on for about a year and a half...sold mostly scooters, then closed the whole thing down.

Now there is nobody. Not only is there nobody, but no one will even consider taking them on around here. Thank heavens for AF1. At least I can get parts from them. I still know one of the techs from the local dealer. He's good in a pinch and there's a sport bike service place nearby who can work on it if I'm not in any sort of hurry. After 14 years, I've got all of 17K on my bike. Still love riding it when I do take it out. It's had 3 batteries and about 4 sets of tires, I think. Mostly though, it spends a lot of time on the charger.

In contrast to that, I've had 3, count em, 3 BMW RTs. My last and current one has 82,000 miles...I continue to ride the wheels off it.

Cmon, Aprilia, get your act together! Such nice bikes!

-TB
      TossoBromo -
      Looking back at this, did the Capo ever actually appear? I didn't see one all year around here. Another thing that seems to be missing from this bike is CRUISE CONTROL. Fly by wire throttle, all those mostly useless electronics and no cruise? Cruise is one thing that seems like a silly add-on, but it's really so much better than a throttle lock. I'd really have to think hard before buying any new bike without it....and it would probably only be a short-range sort of bike. Not one with bags. This is supposed to be a big trail/tourer? It should have cruise control. Give me that and remove some of those fancy suspension and engine controls.
  • Facebook